Gransnet forums

House and home

Cheats way to clean floor

(70 Posts)
overthehill Sun 14-May-17 15:28:28

I have one of those whizz mops where you get a mop (round with spiral cloth bits) also a bucket that you fill with water/detergent and dip mop in then put soaking wet mop in drainer and push button with foot so centrifugal force lets water escape and you have a damp mop for washing the floor. All good but, in my case the bucket is under the sink so stuff has to me moved to get it out and I wouldn't say I'm lazy, but if I can find a quicker way to do things I will.

Anyway what I do now is, I have filled a spray bottle with liquid floor cleaner and water and I just spray this on the floor then wipe over with the mop. Done in half the time and from what I can see just as good.

shysal Sun 14-May-17 16:08:39

I bought one of these when I injured my shoulder and couldn't support my weight to go down onto hands and knees. I use no-rinse cleaning product so the job is done in a matter of seconds. However, the mottled floor tiles are the colour of muddy floor so I don't do it very often.blush
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRAY-MOP-WATER-SPRAYING-FLOOR-CLEANER-TILES-MARBLE-KITCHEN-350ML-MICRO-FIBRE-/201452315357?hash=item2ee77e62dd:g:e~8AAOSwwbdWJg5w

Christinefrance Sun 14-May-17 18:58:15

I steam clean the floor once a week. The rest of the time I use an implement which holds a disinfectant disposable floor wipe. Not very eco friendly I know but we have three dogs and a cat.

Bibbity Sun 14-May-17 19:00:15

I have a steam cleaner. It was onnoffer for £40 and it has been brilliant.
It also comes apart for as a handheld steamer although hand held is a bit innacurate as it's quite weighted.
After I steam clean and dry I just mop over quickly with one that squirts the detergent just so it smells of the lemon stuff because I am a bit addicted to it now.

Liz46 Sun 14-May-17 19:05:09

I don't care how mine gets done as long as it's not me doing it! When I was at work I had a cleaner. My OH didn't like her being in our home so said that, if I stopped her, he would vacuum and mop the floors. Fine by me, I just do a thorough clean every so often as he doesn't bother with the edges.

M0nica Sun 14-May-17 19:39:05

My kitchen is floored with glazed quarry tiles and most of the time these just need a good sweep. The area isn't very large so when it does need a wipe over, I get on my hands and knees and wipe it over with a wet floor cloth.

Bibbity Sun 14-May-17 19:39:29

Liz! I like your style so much better! I may have to look into your methods!

Luckygirl Sun 14-May-17 20:29:32

And parquet flooring? - i have yet to find a way to clean off the efforts of my DGC!

merlotgran Sun 14-May-17 20:42:02

www.argos.co.uk/product/3461608

I'm thinking of getting one of these. Does anyone know if they are any good?

Cherrytree59 Sun 14-May-17 21:02:44

Bono mop for wooden floors as recommended by the carpenter. (Has a solution bottle attached)

Floor wipes- one on each foot - for quick clean grin

Christinefrance Mon 15-May-17 08:02:39

Love the floor wipe idea Cherrytree, get some exercise as well as cleaning the floor. grin

shysal Mon 15-May-17 08:40:51

merlot, as I mentioned above, I have one which works well with a no-rinse product.

Glenfinnan Mon 15-May-17 08:41:10

I thought I was the only one to use my feet with floor wipes! Brilliant for getting into corners and round the sink pedistal in the bathroom!

KayR Mon 15-May-17 10:01:30

Can't beat the steam cleaner. Done very quickly, left very clean and dry in no time. Mine was £49 from Tesco about 5 years ago. It has 2 mop heads that go in the washing machine. And the hand held part is great for the shower and my hubbies golf clubs!

radicalnan Mon 15-May-17 10:08:33

I find a walking stick and a floor wipe gets into all the nooks a and crannies and a spray mop (buckets are too heavy) for everywhere else.

Not having to use a bucket is fabulou for me, so little water wasted and no lifting.

Chattybarbara Mon 15-May-17 10:12:46

I used to use a steam cleaner only to do the floors, but my floor tiles are 'textured' to avoid slipping and this surface does trap dirt that the steam cleaner cannot remove - so now I use a mop and bucket alternate times to ensure the floors are really deep clean - and they look much better now

Lilyflower Mon 15-May-17 10:12:53

I do my hard floors every week and it drives me crazy. I use the mop with a bucket of water for the Travertine marble floor and then polish is with marble polish on my hands and knees. I use 'Junckers floor polish lightly diluted on the beech block floor and shine it with an absorbant duster cloth.

If anyone knows of a better way I'd appreciate the advice.

They do look sensational when finished though.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 15-May-17 10:26:22

radicalnan.Floor wipes for me too. Well known companies make them along with work surface wipes
They are anti bacterial and smell fresh.
I have a squeezy floor mop so I place one of these wipes on the floor press the mop onto it and wiz around the floor in a blink.Depending on how 'dirty'! your floor is how many wipes you need.No effort is required and a nice clean floor as if like me you suffer arthritis and are not as 'acrobatic' as I used to be.
These wipes can be disposed of with normal house hold rubbish. Great for removing a pets muddy paw marks.

angelab Mon 15-May-17 10:31:16

I use floor wipes too (though never tried the foot method!) now that my cat has died, but was wary while he was alive in case he was poisoned by chemicals (I know Dettol is lethal for cats).

Can anyone recommend cat-friendly wipes?

Rosieroe Mon 15-May-17 10:37:21

Another vote for the steam cleaner here.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 15-May-17 10:40:31

lilyflower what a glutton for punishment you are.
The impression is that deep down you love what you are doing by the words 'looks sensational' So other than advising you pay another to do it or they do it out of kindness or love? then you are 'stuck' with it.

moobox Mon 15-May-17 10:46:15

For small floors a wet microfibre cloth pushed round with my foot works as a good catlick!!

Cagsy Mon 15-May-17 10:50:17

I'm still working Liz- so still have a cleaner, thank God wink

Sheilasue Mon 15-May-17 10:56:36

I have a steam cleaner, so easy, and it's just hung on a hook in the hall cupboard.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 15-May-17 10:57:03

angelab The instructions do say keep pets off until dry so if my pet is going to be around before my floor is dry, though it doesn't take long, I then put a couple or more 3ply paper towels under the mop and go over the wet areas.Don't put off having another pet as you can overcome this issue of using floor wipes.
I would say that floor wipes are less potent than something out of a bottle or aerosal