Gransnet forums

House and home

Sentimental value or clutter?

(49 Posts)
Dana6789 Mon 19-Jun-17 17:05:16

I'd love to get others opinions on this. I have been married 37 years and have kept every card my other half has sent me. I have two daughters who have sent me some beautiful cards over the years which I have kept and now I have grandchildren also sending lovely cards. So ....I now have a mountain of cards in the loft, including family cards ( including parents and parents in law), close friends, retirement cards from colleagues, get well cards, in fact every occasion cards
I really appreciate all the cards I have been given and feel bad just chucking them out. One year I chose some pretty anniversary cards to put into shabby chic picture frames but can't really do that again.
Has anyone got any creative ideas or should I save them or bite the bullet and bin them and then feel guilty? hmm

M0nica Mon 19-Jun-17 17:07:12

I just keep cards from big events: weddings, big birthdays/anniversaries and the occasional one from other events when it really is special for some reason, and chuck the rest.

rosesarered Mon 19-Jun-17 17:11:47

Same as Monica......but I only did the chucking out bit a few years ago.
Nothing is much good stored in the loft anyway, mouse nest fodder, and how often do you get it down and look at it all?
I bought a set of matching hatboxes, which are pretty, and keep them on top of a low wardrobe filled with special things, that way I can look at them whenever I like.

Luckygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 17:14:07

We have moved home in the last year and a good deal of stuff got the heave-ho! It was a challenge; but when I was faced with paintings by a 2 year old, who is now 42, it seemed a bit OTT to keep it all! I think you will need to be a bit ruthless in the end. Take a deep breath!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 19-Jun-17 17:43:08

Oh this is so hard. I find it so difficult to throw away anything from my husband, daughter, parents, grandparents... We moved house recently and finding the cards and letters brought me so much pleasure I decided I had to keep them - and get ruthless with other stuff that didn't have so much emotion attached

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 19-Jun-17 17:43:26

But this may come in handy for anyone in the same boat...

www.gransnet.com/life-and-style/home-and-garden/top-tips-on-decluttering-from-marie-kondo

Tizliz Mon 19-Jun-17 17:53:20

Think what will happen when you die. Your children will have to sort it all out. So I think only keep the things you think they would keep.

rockgran Mon 19-Jun-17 18:36:32

For years I kept all the cards my husband gave me for all occasions (and the ones I sent him) but now we don't buy any more - just choose from the ones we already have. It works for us as we still enjoy the cards. I got the idea from my daughter in law. Other cards often get made into notebooks - just staple some paper into the card and cut it down a bit. That way you can enjoy a card for a bit longer. Lastly - if you really want to downsize just take photos of them then recycle.

Charleygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 18:48:22

I am trying desperately to get rid of clutter and cards were first on the list. What was I going to do with them? I have a totally empty loft and I am slowly working my way down.

LumpySpacedPrincess Mon 19-Jun-17 18:56:58

You could cut them up and make a scrap book in chronological order, or take a photo of each one and make a digital, online book which is what I used to do with dd's junk modelling!

Or you could bind the cards into books using ring binders and store them with your books.

NanaandGrampy Mon 19-Jun-17 20:44:26

Scan them and store them digitally. You could then run the file on your laptop as background and actually get to see some of your lovely cards again. Ordisplay them in a digital photo frame x

cornergran Tue 20-Jun-17 09:45:02

I'm with n&g. That was my solution. Scan or simply take photos. I've some printed and in a pretty album. It works, or photos do, for other larger 'stuff'. You can still see everything, just differently.

rocketstop Tue 20-Jun-17 10:14:49

I would just select one card from each sender to keep and be ruthless and throw the rest !

W11girl Tue 20-Jun-17 10:38:16

Bit the bullet and binned the majority of them last week! I kept one very special Mother's Day card that my son made for me when he was 10...he is 44 now. Its falling to bits and one of the flower heads is missing, but I send it to myself every Mother's day..to keep him close to me. He is not really a fan of Mothers day, because we are in contact all the time even though he is 250 miles away! I have also kept an anniversary card I made for my husband...I doctered our wedding photo and put a pigs head over his face (because he is so untidy)...he saw the funny side! I send it to him every year! Happy Days!

Lilyflower Tue 20-Jun-17 10:54:30

I have never regretted getting rid of anything even though I felt gulity and dreaded throwing things before I did it.

Go for it. The feeling of freedom is tremendous.

Pamish Tue 20-Jun-17 11:33:09

It seems daft to just throw away something that has a great image and also that cost £2 for one sheet of paper....There used to be charities that took old cards, especially xmas ones, and remade them to sell on. I can't find one now, I wonder if there are problems with copyright if doing this officially but there must be a better place than the dustbin - not even the recycling bin if they have got any fancy bits on. Suggestions?

chrissyh Tue 20-Jun-17 11:40:39

When we moved from a 4 bedroom house to a bungalow I had boxes of cards in the loft. I agonised over what to do with them and then decided to take them for re-cycling, without opening the boxes and looking at them as I knew I wouldn't do it once I started reading them. Just another job I've saved my children having to do. I have still got my 1st birthday cards which my mum saved - a bit different from today's cards - some are just postcards with 1st birthday on them. We had to be quite ruthless with getting rid of 'stuff' and haven't missed a single thing in 5 years.

inishowen Tue 20-Jun-17 11:40:40

I keep cards for a year. When the next birthday, anniversary, comes along I throw the previous ones away. Hopefully my five year old granddaughter can start doing craft projects with them.

Sheilasue Tue 20-Jun-17 11:45:20

If you are a hoarder it's difficult to throw them out but I have had a clear out, have kept cards from family with an 0 on the end. And have all ours sons bereavement cards which were sent by family, can't throw them out, also some Mother's Day cards he sent me and some for his dad on Father's Day, can't throw them away.

Rosina Tue 20-Jun-17 11:49:57

I kept every card my children had been sent from their birth congratulations, christening, and all birthdays until they were in their twenties and moved out Each 'set' was wrapped and labelled and kept in the loft. I felt that these were not mine to throw away. When we moved house the 'children' helped and binned the lot without my knowing - probably best! I do try to keep clutter down now because although I do hope to keep going for a good few years yet, at some point someone is going to have to deal with any hoarded treasures.

Christinefrance Tue 20-Jun-17 11:58:01

I recently had a major declutter, kept cards from the children and grandchildren but everything else went. We spent hours sorting paperwork and shredding out of date stuff.
I remember clearing my mother's house after she died and finding presents I had sent wrapped in tissue and unused. I said then I will not keep things for 'best' but use and enjoy them.

JanaNana Tue 20-Jun-17 11:58:25

I have this same problem with cards. We are hoping to put our house for sale and have been going through lots of things, re-cycling, charity donations ect. However when it come to cards DH and me have given each other over the years I find this hard to do ( just the personal cards to each other). Other cards always recycled and at Christmas time our local supermarket has a recycling bin for the Salvation Army. Anyway as have donated lots of useful items to various Charity shops in our town I justify hanging on to the cards.

Dana6789 Tue 20-Jun-17 12:35:53

Thank you all, there are some lovely ideas here and sensible comments.

I think I will save my favourite Valentines / anniversary cards from my husband and choose 2 to display each year. I will take pics of the best of the rest (way too many to do each one) for our digital photo frame and then bin them.
My daughters said to just bin them, but being a bit of a sentimental hoarder I was struggling and wondered if they would have regrets in the future. It seems not!

So this afternoon I will make a start now I have been motivated!

monkeywings123 Tue 20-Jun-17 12:50:28

Take photographs . . . then chuck all but "essential" ones smile

Lupatria Tue 20-Jun-17 13:27:38

my mother kept every card that my father sent her - my sister and i found them when we were clearing the house after they died.
i keep the birthday cards up for a week and then they're in the bin - same with christmas cards.
the only cards i've kept are from my 21st birthday all those years ago and from my wedding although i've been divorced for 22 years now. these cards are up in the loft and i can't get up into the loft now!