Gransnet forums

House and home

Cooking foil

(30 Posts)
callgirl1 Tue 20-Jun-17 17:59:04

At my ripe old age I should know this, but am not sure, so..... Is it safe to put a layer of coking foil in the bottom of the grill pan, in an effort to cut down cleaning?

MiniMouse Tue 20-Jun-17 18:02:53

I do it all the time. Mine's a gas grill, so don't know if it's different for electric. Been doing it for donkeys years without problems. Yet!!!

callgirl1 Tue 20-Jun-17 18:07:23

Thank you MiniMouse, mine`s gas as well. It`s a new oven, and I want to keep it nice, but don`t fancy cleaning it every single day, I`m lazy, lol!

MawBroon Tue 20-Jun-17 18:22:28

Can't see any reason why it should be unsafe. I too have been doing it for years (lazy slattern person that I am.)

Ana Tue 20-Jun-17 18:23:30

Just don't try it in your microwave!

MawBroon Tue 20-Jun-17 18:27:24

?????

Elegran Tue 20-Jun-17 19:00:12

Yes, it is safe. I do it all the time to save washing the grill pan every two minutes BUT make sure that the corners of the aluminium foil don't stick up far enough to touch an electric element, or they will catch fire! I always turn down the corners and edges to below the top of the grill pan sides.

cornergran Tue 20-Jun-17 21:03:56

Been doing it for 48 years, we're still here grin.

kittylester Tue 20-Jun-17 21:11:37

And me - well 46 and a half.grin

Elegran Tue 20-Jun-17 22:44:34

I've beeen doing it for fifty, but I did once have the foil catch light, so I am careful about the size of the piece I use now.

callgirl1 Tue 20-Jun-17 23:39:38

Well, it was OK, I have wondered whether to try it over the years, but always been a bit wary.
Now, can anybody help me with this? My new gas oven is marked with temperatures, as on an electric oven, but I`m used to Gas mark whatever, is there a conversion chart anywhere?

kittylester Wed 21-Jun-17 07:20:09

You could Google it Callgirl. I have one sellotape inside a cupboard door but have absolutely no idea where I got it.

Nanabilly Wed 21-Jun-17 07:39:39

Yes conversion charts available online or look at a recipe book and make one of your own from oven temps given in recipes .

mumofmadboys Wed 21-Jun-17 08:09:09

Usually find one in a general cookery book

POGS Wed 21-Jun-17 10:33:54

I cover the floor of my cooker with foil but I 'weigh it down' with another piece of foil over a flat baking tray for safety, e.g the foil is not able to cover the fan .

justwokeup Wed 21-Jun-17 10:38:56

There's a nice inexpensive metal fridge magnet in Lakeland which is a conversion chart. I find mine really useful, use it all the time. www.lakeland.co.uk/5361/Fridge-Magnet-Imperial-and-Metric-Measurement-Conversion-Chart?src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!{creative!e!{placement}!o!{adwords_producttargetid}!&ef_id=WSmLGwAABOQG1QFk:20170621093559:s}
This link looks weird but I think it works!

grandMattie Wed 21-Jun-17 10:46:38

My fridge is "integral" so useless for fridge magnets grin!

moleswife Wed 21-Jun-17 12:32:48

I think it's safe - so long as you remember to use ALUMINIUM foil and not the silver WRAPPING foil (which will catch alight), this usually cheaper than cooking foil and feels and sounds different!

oldgoat Wed 21-Jun-17 12:55:31

callgirl I use Lakeland Magic non-stick oven liner. You cut it to size and can line grill pans and baking trays with it too. Just take it out and wash off any burnt-on food. It will last at least five years and saves using aluminium foil.

gulligranny Wed 21-Jun-17 12:56:34

Like justwokeup, I've got one of those Lakeland fridge magnets and I use it a lot - inexpensive and easy (that's the magnet, not me I hasten to add)

grandtanteJE65 Wed 21-Jun-17 13:06:59

www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_gasmark.htm
here's one table that has the conversions, some cookery books have them too.

Heckter Wed 21-Jun-17 14:40:13

It's safe to use aluminium foil at the bottom of a grill pan, to save washing up, as long as the food does not touch it. We have long been recommended to avoid using aluminium cooking pans, as aluminium toxicity is thought to be one of the many, many contributory causes of dementia. And recently I read in the press that that now includes aluminium foil - all those take-away and frozen foods that are contained in aluminium containers.

I also use the non-stick oven liner at the bottom of my oven, but oven manufacturers recommend that if your oven is heated from below, the oven can be damaged - they never say how, and presume that would go for aluminium also. It is fine in most ovens.

"Green" considerations are another factor as aluminium may be recyled, if clean. Furthermore its use should be avoided as much as possible as aluminium mining is an environmentally damaging process.

Cooking food directly on non-stick oven liner concerns me, as I assume it is a plastic, and perhaps there is a possibility of plastics migrating into the food with heat. I guess the jury is still out on this.

Blinko Wed 21-Jun-17 15:06:53

Just ordered the Lakeland fridge magnet from Amazon. No Lakeland nearby hmm so thanks for the tip.

Sheilasue Wed 21-Jun-17 16:28:20

I use it on my grill have done for yonks.

callgirl1 Wed 21-Jun-17 16:44:26

Thank you ladies, I just knew you`d come up trumps!