Gransnet forums

House and home

Sweet smelling washing

(79 Posts)
jacalpad Sun 02-Jul-17 07:40:13

Has anyone got any recommendations for washing powders/liquids/conditioners/scent pearls etc to make the washing smell good for longer? I have tried most things, I think, and just wondered what other gransnetters recommend from experience.

aggie Sun 02-Jul-17 07:53:12

I found conditioner made my washing stink , airing and drying out in fresh air is best where possible

travelsafar Sun 02-Jul-17 08:21:14

I dont think you can beat Persil,i love the fresh smell it leaves on my washing.

Nandalot Sun 02-Jul-17 08:29:12

My Spanish DDIL when she visits says she loves the smell of my washing. I use Persil on-bio.

wildswan16 Sun 02-Jul-17 08:36:12

I've never understood this - I don't want my washing to smell of anything -- I just want it to be clean.

merlotgran Sun 02-Jul-17 08:49:59

I agree with wildswan, I use Aldi's lavender scented washing liquid and that's all the fragrance I want. There's nothing nicer than the smell of clothes that have just come off the washing line.

If I have to use the tumble drier I add a Sainsbury softener sheet. NEVER Lenor which is far too strong and gives off a whiff of care home.

grannysue05 Sun 02-Jul-17 08:59:41

There was a little girl at GD's primary school a few years ago who came in each day smelling strongly of flowers/perfume/strong scents.
All the other class members tried hard to avoid sitting near the poor girl because the smell was over powering. It gave them headaches and induced nausea.
The class teacher brought it up with the mother and was told that she did all the washing in highly scented powders and then used extra scented softeners like Lenor.
Luckily it all got sorted out and toned down.
Best smell of all is freshly dried clothes from the line. No false smells .... just the lovely outdoors.

tanith Sun 02-Jul-17 09:02:34

Hung out in the fresh air and just smelling clean is what I want for my washing.

Nelliemoser Sun 02-Jul-17 09:42:48

No never. We do not need these grossly over perfumed clothes and it is as unpleasant as sitting next to a heavy smoker.

We or you who buy this stuff are pawns in the washing powder makers competition for getting the highest sales figures.
Offer the public something "NEW" to encourage them. Stop seeing new as better it rarely is. Not improved just different. So much advertising is there to con people.

These products are way too strong and very pervasive. You really do not need to pefume your washing to that extent.

Way back I tried using shake and vac and had years of allergy to all sorts of perfume. To suddenly sneeze have your nose block and literally pour like a tap is dreadful.

It is incomfortable to sit near people with highly perfumed clothing. I am sure this awful stuff cannot be good for you in the long term.

www.ecowatch.com/that-fresh-smell-coming-from-your-laundry-is-hazardous-chemicals-1881816039.html

Leave this stinking stuff well alone.

Charleygirl Sun 02-Jul-17 09:48:02

I have found quite cheap washing tablets which do the job admirably. I stopped using conditioner many years ago and my purse has benefited. It did take a few months for the clothes to return to "normal" but nowadays if the weather is good I hang my clothes outside and in winter, on a clothes horse indoors and the central heating dries them.

gillybob Sun 02-Jul-17 09:58:11

I always use Lenor in a gold coloured bottle . DGC say that they love the smell of their clothes after I have washed them ( which is quite often ) . I agree you can't beat the freshness if washing when it has been dried outside .

jacalpad Sun 02-Jul-17 10:12:24

I agree, nothing beats the smell of line-dried washing, and I hang mine out at any opportunity, but a have sometimes picked up a lovely smell from other people's laundry and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations. I have not used Persil for years, and may give that a go after hearing the earlier recommendations. I used to use Lenor fabric conditioner, until I realised it was making the washing machine drawer mouldy and smelly!!!

jacalpad Sun 02-Jul-17 10:13:43

PS. I was using the Lenor in the yellow bottle then!

LadyGracie Sun 02-Jul-17 12:11:20

Persil non bio and a splash of comfort , then line dried. Towels just Persil non bio.

Mapleleaf Sun 02-Jul-17 13:30:18

I'm a Persil fan, too. Also use either Lenor or Asda own brand of clothing conditioner.

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Jul-17 18:06:26

Persil non-bio and sometimes Fairy or Ecover conditioner but never with towels, bedding etc. I use the conditioner if a fabric could develop 'static' but otherwise don't bother.
Dry outside if possible.

shysal Sun 02-Jul-17 20:35:17

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=lenor+unstoppables&_sop=15
I did try these once and the scent does last in the wardrobe or drawer. Unfortunately I didn't like any of the fragrances, which you can squeeze and sniff in store.

PoshGran Mon 03-Jul-17 09:00:19

I use an own-brand non-bio, no fabric conditioner/softener & dry on a rotary which is half underplanted with thyme, sage & other herbs. Sheets & towels do occasionally have a very subtle herby trace on them - & I don't mind picking the "bits" off! grin

Cambia Mon 03-Jul-17 10:06:31

Persia non bio again! My son, nearly 40 visited recently from Canada and asked what I washed his laundry in. He said it reminded him of when he was a child. I was quite touched by this. The little things in life are always the best aren't they?

Hollycat Mon 03-Jul-17 10:06:49

Lidl's bio capsules and their conditioner for baby clothes. Been using this combo for about two months now and it appears to work just as well as the expensive Persil and Comfort I was using before. Nice smell too!

Sparkyju Mon 03-Jul-17 10:10:40

Persil non-bio and a bit of Comfort for general washing and just the powder for towels (washed at 60)

grandMattie Mon 03-Jul-17 10:15:15

I'm the opposite - strong smells make me nauseous, and I can't have any perfume on my skin/washing power/soap...
How about making yourself some "lavender bottles" to put between the sheets? They are fun to make, make your sheets smell lovely and are lovely presents too.
Good luck! sunshine

Oddoneout Mon 03-Jul-17 10:16:33

My Australian and American relatives all comment on how nice the UK laundry products I use smell. I use Persil or Ariel and Waitrose own unperfumed conditioner in SMALL amounts.
The design of front loader washing machines means there are warm wet pipes that breed bacteria. Leaving the dispenser drawer out to dry and cleaning the outlet filter helps stop odours.

Mspjam123 Mon 03-Jul-17 10:24:56

Running a 95c wash at least once a week (e.g. towels wash) and never using fabric softener seems to work for me - and Sainsburys own-make non-bio powder.

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Jul-17 10:27:08

I have herbs in pots growing around my washing line too Poshgran.