Gransnet forums

House and home

Hot water, if so why?

(40 Posts)
phoenix Wed 12-Jul-17 21:07:58

Evening all, and good wishes to you.

Cleaning the laminate floor today in the kitchen and hall, as I was getting the mop and bucket ready, I was aware that I was running the tap until it was hot, before adding the detergent.

Do you think the water does need to be hot for cleaning floors, bearing in mind that cleaning stuff will be added to the water?

aggie Wed 12-Jul-17 21:15:13

And by the time you get half the floor done the water has cooled down anyway

Charleygirl Wed 12-Jul-17 21:29:23

phoenix I would never ever use a mop and bucket on laminate flooring. That method you wet the floor too much and over time will contort the laminate.

I have a "mop" over which I fit one of the two cotton cleaners that came with it. I buy stuff specifically for laminate- any supermarket sells it, squirt a little on the floor and then use my "mop". Deed done.

phoenix Wed 12-Jul-17 21:44:26

Charleygirl I have had laminate floor for over 10 years, and have used a Vilelda mop that when you take it out of the bucket, the handle is pushed down, which sort of squeezes some rollers, resulting in an almost dry mop, but just enough to clean the floor.

No problems so far, touch wood. (Or should that be touch laminate?)

Coolgran65 Wed 12-Jul-17 22:57:33

I've been using a virtually dry vileda mop and bucket (vinegar and water) for over 15 years. I follow each area immediately with a string mop from Lakeland which buffs it nicely and no streaks.

No problems.

Charleygirl Thu 13-Jul-17 07:50:59

phoenix that is great- I had visions of you sloshing water over the floor as one can do with a cushion flooring. I would not have the water too hot, hand hot- I think that hot water is required to "agitate" probably not the correct word, the dirt.

radicalnan Thu 13-Jul-17 10:21:51

My advice on cleaning floors of all varieties is get someone else to do it.

Kim19 Thu 13-Jul-17 10:35:02

May I deviate slightly please and seek advice? I bought a Karcher as a result of the enthusiasm expressed here. Fact is I'm getting a disappointingly streaky result. Should I be 'essing' or straight movement and, is there a particular solution for best results, please?

vickya Thu 13-Jul-17 11:02:03

Do gransnetters listen to The Archers? Do they use usenet? If so they might be interested in uk.media.radio.archers, a newsgroup on newsnet. I am asking on this thread because I love the thread. One on floor cleanining is very umratic, so I felt you and umra might enjoy each other smile.

They don't just post about Archers story lines but criticise the acting, the stories, or praise them, and threads swerve into all sorts of directions that are not to do with the programmes. Also people start threads on other topics, like vacuum cleaners or hearing aids (many are OAPs), which is why I thought readers and writers of this thread might like umra.

1moleta3 Thu 13-Jul-17 11:25:12

Buy a vileda spinning mop with bucket set - have had mine for 5 years and one of my best buys here in Portugal. My daughter bought one in UK as well which she uses on her wooden laminate floor.
Here, it cleans acres of tiles in a trice - spins to almost to a dry mop head. I bought extra mop head replacements just in case it was discontinued.

Lewlew Thu 13-Jul-17 11:47:55

I bought a very cheap Beldray steam mop. Easypeasy to use. I use a spray mister with some cleaner in it for trouble spots. Otherwise the steam does the job and dries quickly. I was hesitant to try a steam thingy, but this one is very user-friendly and my back loves it.

oldgaijin Thu 13-Jul-17 12:00:24

e-clothes are the answer...for ALL cleaning, especially windows. The "mop" is ultra thin and the cloth is wrung out by hand, before attaching by Velcro. It can go under the tiny gap between floor and fridge etc. Have a look on Amazon

Nanny27 Thu 13-Jul-17 12:12:39

I was so glad to see this thread. I recently moved to a house with a beautiful dark laminate hall floor. Trouble is it took all the foot tread from outside especially after the removal men had left and looked very dirty. I tried mopping but it left streaks so guess what? I polished it with spray furniture polish. Imagine the horror when we threw a housewarming party and almost every one of our guests went flat on their faces!

Direne3 Thu 13-Jul-17 12:32:04

radicalnan grin

paddyann Thu 13-Jul-17 12:33:52

I use a steam mop on my laminate and then I go over it without the steam and use a laminate polish always a great finish .DONT PUT THE POLISH in THE STEAMER .it gunges up the works....I did try it so I know.lol

JackyB Thu 13-Jul-17 12:45:37

I clean everything with water as hot as possible. It dries quicker, and I think cleans better. If the water cools off half way across a floor, I change it.

Sheilasue Thu 13-Jul-17 12:53:47

I have a steam cleaner for hard floors and carpets, not so great on carpets though. It's only small very light and cleans the kitchen,hall,and dining area and is so easy to use.

M0nica Thu 13-Jul-17 13:19:33

The advantage of hot water is that it will soften any sticky or greasy deposits on the floor like drips from sugary drinks or spills from plates.

Lindajane Thu 13-Jul-17 13:22:33

Thanks for this thread! I've got dogs and a lot of hard floors including laminate. Mopping is too wet but I've just reserved a vileda spin mop!

RosemaryAnne Thu 13-Jul-17 13:55:30

Best advice ever

RosemaryAnne Thu 13-Jul-17 13:56:45

That was for radicalnan by the way

Oriel Thu 13-Jul-17 14:15:12

I seem to remember that using hot water to clean is more efficient due to the difference in the molecular structure and surface tension in water between it being hot and cold. I think the water when heated reduces the surface tension but I can't remember exactly.

Humbertbear Thu 13-Jul-17 15:58:58

I'm with Radicalnan. I've no idea how to clean my hardwood floor or operate my vacuum cleaner.

Blinko Thu 13-Jul-17 19:59:44

Best idea, as Radicalnan says is to get a cleaner. Except my lady can't seem to get on with the Vileda spinning mop and bucket set. back to the non tech version, then confused

BlueBelle Thu 13-Jul-17 20:43:10

I don't have any of these things i don't know what Karchers are I just use a bucket of water and a cloth on my knees and I don't have any laminate floors so no knowledge there I have two vacuum cleaners but prefer sweeping the floors and carpets
I too like radiocalnans idea I do as little housework as I can get away with