Gransnet forums

House and home

Tissue in the wash

(30 Posts)
Penygirl Mon 14-Aug-17 11:02:04

Can anyone suggest a good way of getting rid of the tiny bits of tissue that are left on our clothes after accidentally leaving a tissue in a pocket while washing? Grateful for any ideas!

Charleygirl Mon 14-Aug-17 11:10:31

A small tissue goes a very long way!

I hang the clothes out with the pieces of tissue still intact and a lot of it is blown off as the clothes dry but the remainder I am afraid I have to hand pick slowly. Everything I hang out is turned inside out so it is not the end of the world if I miss bits.

Alima Mon 14-Aug-17 11:12:16

Tumble drying sometimes helps but remember to clean the filter afterwards!

TwiceAsNice Mon 14-Aug-17 11:13:16

I'm afraid all I usually do is take each item and give them a massive shake( tissue bits then all over the floor so double swear after the one you did when you realised what had happened in the first place!!) It usually means that most of it has gone. Nothing more constructive to offer, sorry.

Penygirl Mon 14-Aug-17 11:14:45

Thanks for suggestions - yes, a small tissue does indeed go a
long way!

Eglantine19 Mon 14-Aug-17 11:16:29

Tumble dry on cool with two or three tennis balls. I don't know why it works but it does!

whitewave Mon 14-Aug-17 11:20:42

Re-rinse and spin.

I always do that with no clothes in the machine if there is a lot of flick as well, particularly after tumbling towels. I usually do a hot white wash after drying towels(I have a washer/dryer) and that always works as any flick doesn't show on sheets, tea towels etc.

Stansgran Mon 14-Aug-17 11:21:09

Brush down ( outside) with a microfibre sponge.

jusnoneed Mon 14-Aug-17 12:08:14

If possible hang out on the line and let it have a blow, then use strips of sellotape to go over the clothes to pick up residue. Find that better than lint rollers. Or if you have rubber brush or mitt that would probably clear it.
Strange how it always seems to happen with dark clothes...

shysal Mon 14-Aug-17 12:10:48

Wrap some Sellotape around your hand with the sticky side outwards, and pat all over the items. Alternatively buy a lint roller or one of those clothes brushes with a pad you use in one direction to collect bits and the other to clean.

Crafting Mon 14-Aug-17 12:12:52

This happened to me with a serviette and a red table cloth. If you have a tumble drier this may get most of it off. If not try the following.
Wash and dry again. When dry lay out clothes on flat surface and go over with a lint brush. May take lots of work to get it all off but can do the trick. You will never do it again ......until the next time grin

glammanana Mon 14-Aug-17 12:27:34

I do as shysal and wrap wide tape around my hand to get off the bulk of the mess,then same again when ironing just run the sellotape over the item to remove the other odd bits.It does make you remember to check the pockets after a while though.

Marmight Mon 14-Aug-17 14:54:45

Vigorous shake outside, quick whirl in the tumble dryer and then the cellotape treatment to complete the job. However much I check, there's always a tissue lurking..... story of my life ?

rosesarered Mon 14-Aug-17 14:58:09

Same as Twice says.....get it all over the floor, swear a bit, sweep it up.Take basket of clothes outside and shake them.

Penygirl Mon 14-Aug-17 16:02:02

Some great ideas here, thank you. I resorted to the shake outside and then the sellotape but took ages!

Cornishgirl777 Mon 14-Aug-17 18:31:17

If someone else has left the tissue in their pocket, make sure the relevant piece of clothing is returned,dried,but with tissue still in evidence,with the helpful comment of "see what happens if you don't check your pockets!" Doesn't go down well,but does stop the miscreant for a bit,and makes me feel better.

JoyBloggs Mon 14-Aug-17 19:25:35

Did this last week and was SO angry as I had (I thought) checked all the pockets thoroughly. Dried the laundry on a rack indoors (it was one of those days when it never stopped raining) and then laid each article on the ironing board and wiped over with a small towel which I'd soaked in water and then wrung out so it was damp but not dripping. This worked really well, but was quite a faff. Then hoovered up the mess on the floor and vowed it would NEVER happen again... till the next time!

Nandalot Mon 14-Aug-17 20:06:29

Some tissues are worse than others. We find Waitrose tissues the best and they survive the wash!! We don't do our regular shopping there but if we are near one usually stock up.
We get some funny looks with a trolley with mainly boxes of tissues.

phoenix Mon 14-Aug-17 20:13:00

What is "flick", please whitewave? confused

Eloethan Mon 14-Aug-17 20:33:38

Happened to me the day before yesterday. Very annoying.

mrsmopp Sat 23-Sep-17 22:31:26

Put marigold gloves on your hands and brush the clothes that way. It also works for removing cat or dog hairs off the furniture. Or you could use the Hoover with the hand held attachment on it.

Grandma2213 Sun 24-Sep-17 01:19:48

It's never ME that leaves the tissue in!! I think the bits on the clothes are the easiest as they can be shaken outside and hung on the line (weather permitting) with an occasional brush. The bits left in the washer especially stuck in the holes and the damp blobs that drop out onto the kitchen floor and scatter drive me to swearing!! angry

CassieJ Sun 24-Sep-17 10:00:14

I had this yesterday despite, I thought, checking all pockets!

Really annoying and it only ever seems to happen with the dark wash. I tried re rinsing and spinning, but it didn't work, hung them outside. I did then tumble them, and this worked a bit, but still tissue over the clothes.

I wish they would come up with wash proof tissue smile

Chewbacca Sun 24-Sep-17 10:09:45

Happened to me on a wash cycle yesterday too, in fact, it seems to be something I do rather too regularly these days. I'm always so cross with myself when I open the machine door and see the familiar shreds of wet tissues ticking to everything. I've spent far too much time with my head in a washing machine,whilst picking wet tissues out of little holes.

Agus Sun 24-Sep-17 10:25:47

I was steeping a pair of white trousers yesterday in hot water which had blueberry juice on them. Checked this morning and, success, blueberry stain gone but......I hadn't realised there was a lime green post-it note in the back pocket....I now have a pair of lime green and white jeans.
Must add, one of the green stains is quite near the crotch area so, not really a good look blush, grin