Gransnet forums

House and home

Cleaning the oven.

(113 Posts)
loopyloo Thu 14-Sep-17 18:09:50

How do you all clean your oven including the glass door? Does bicarb and vinegar work? Any magic ideas would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

Welshwife Thu 14-Sep-17 18:12:12

I hope someone had a great fool proof way! At least the inside glass of my door comes out but it must rank one of the worst jobs ever!

midgey Thu 14-Sep-17 18:12:55

On the whole I feel blood sweat and tears are all heavily involved!

loopyloo Thu 14-Sep-17 18:21:44

Oh please, not harsh reality I need hope that you people can help. Brillo pads?

MissAdventure Thu 14-Sep-17 18:23:36

Those silver coloured scratchy pads are the nearest I've come to a miracle. The ones that are like coiled up wire.

Welshwife Thu 14-Sep-17 18:24:56

I think Brillo pads scratch glass. I do resort to Ajax and a green scrubby thing though.

loopyloo Thu 14-Sep-17 18:31:45

Thanks, I do have some silver pads . Will try those. Or should I get a professional company to do it?,

MissAdventure Thu 14-Sep-17 18:37:05

Well, I think a company could do it for around 30 pounds. That's not much now, is it?

Eglantine21 Thu 14-Sep-17 18:37:11

Just get a professional cleaner in twice a year. Don't bother n between except to wipe spills. Result, perfect shiny oven!

Wheniwasyourage Thu 14-Sep-17 18:44:34

Don't understand the concept grin

Welshwife Thu 14-Sep-17 18:44:51

Just before we moved from our last UK house I broke my arm so employed a company to clean my cooker - 2 ovens and a grill plus 6 rings - cost 5 years ago was £130 - but the chap did a good job.

Imperfect27 Thu 14-Sep-17 19:00:54

I buy Mr Muscle oven cleaning kit - costs between £4-£5. You have to wipe everything with a liquid and put the trays in a big bag with some of the liquid. Leave for 4 hours / overnight and then wash away - comes up nicely. Says it all that I sent a photo of me clutching kit and the message "Nooooo! Help meeeee!" to DD1 before the dreaded event last time though.

kittylester Thu 14-Sep-17 19:18:04

Once a year, about now actually, I have Ovenu (sp?). - it costs £130 approx (a range cooker) and is brilliant!!

TriciaF Thu 14-Sep-17 19:27:48

I use my oven a lot, at least twice a day. The only part that looks grubby is the glass door.
It's a fairly cheap french gas oven (propane) with the burners in the base.
No doubt my family would say "put your glasses on Mum!"

grannyticktock Thu 14-Sep-17 19:47:54

Or take off your glasses . I find things look a lot cleaner that way.

Scribbles Thu 14-Sep-17 19:54:19

I endorse everything Eglantine21 said. It costs me £40 a time but, twice a year, is well worth it.

M0nica Thu 14-Sep-17 23:03:14

My ovens have self cleansing sides and tops, as have all the cookers I have owned for the last 30 years. Wipe spills off the bottom, clean the racks every few weeks and cook food covered and you shouldn't have a dirty oven problem.Like TriciaF, the glass insert is the only difficulty and since I rarely use the oven interior light nobody notices and neither do I.

NanaMacGeek Thu 14-Sep-17 23:12:29

My electric oven tells me when it needs cleaning. I remove the non stick shelves, shut the door and press a button. Two hours later, when it has cooled down again, I open the door, wipe off any white powder residue with a damp cloth and replace the shelves! Sparkling oven and glass door. Job done. Do I sound smug? Yes but I've had my fair share of oven cleaning over the years, so I'm not sorry.

mumofmadboys Fri 15-Sep-17 08:09:19

I agree with Miss Adventure. I used a siver coiled up spring like pad and cleaned the oven door with ease. Brilliant!

cornergran Fri 15-Sep-17 08:39:10

I have no idea - Mr C always does it. How lucky am I? smile.

Teetime Fri 15-Sep-17 08:44:27

Napalm - annually!!

LadyGracie Fri 15-Sep-17 09:13:35

Spray with Cif oven cleaner, a couple of hours later it's run down taking the majority of dirt with it. The shelves go in the dishwasher once a week.

MissAdventure Fri 15-Sep-17 09:17:04

Mumofmadboys, I only clean the door! Shhh! wink

Megram Fri 15-Sep-17 09:19:55

Professional cleaning firm once a year. I resisted for ages, then called them in when I was unable through illness to do it myself. They do a marvellous job, much better than I ever would!

shysal Fri 15-Sep-17 09:38:30

Oven Pride makes the job almost enjoyable! No elbow grease required. Shelves (and my enamel baking tins) go into a giant bag overnight and the remaining thick liquid is applied to the interior of the oven including door, also over night. All that is needed next morning is a thorough rinse. There is also no smell.