Gransnet forums

House and home

Oops - food error!

(34 Posts)
Kayteeb53 Mon 01-Jan-18 09:47:33

To go with the various starters I had planned for Christmas Day I ordered a Christmas tree sharing loaf - nice and festive I thought. I opened it Christmas morning ready to serve only to find out it was chocolate chip panettone! Didn’t think it would go awfully well with smoked salmon!
Still not as bad as serving up my new husband apple turnover chips and beans many years ago.
Must learn to read the labels!

Grannyknot Mon 01-Jan-18 10:01:20

tchsmile I ordered home made chocolate "Rocky Road Christmas Crackers" from a local entrepreneurial mum - when they arrived, they looked like cellophane-wrapped turds decorated with glitter. They provided many a chuckle over Christmas - tasted good though!

Purpledaffodil Mon 01-Jan-18 10:10:36

? Grannyknot. Artisan poo!
As a teenager DD once made tuna pasta with vanilla yoghurt, believing it to be the same as natural yoghurt. Tasted unreasonably vile and had to be thrown away. A rare occurrence in our house!

glammanana Mon 01-Jan-18 10:25:35

kayteeb I bought the same Christmas bread for serving with soup on xmas day and completely forgot all about it.a good job it was pre baked and could be used 2 days later even if I did have to make some fresh soup.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Jan-18 11:12:08

LOL! tchgrin

I love the apple turnover memory! tchgrin

Alima Mon 01-Jan-18 11:15:49

Thank you Grannyknot, my first belly laugh of the year!

Kayteeb53 Mon 01-Jan-18 13:26:12

At least we tried ? glad not just me!
Wilma, he actually ate one turnover (with ketchup) before saying ‘ this tastes a bit funny’, and picks out a piece of apple!

M0nica Mon 01-Jan-18 14:17:00

I once confused cheese sauce with custard when working my way along the self -service line at University. I do not recommend cheese sauce on stewed fruit. It is a taste sensation worth missing out on

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Jan-18 15:38:43

Definitely a keeper Then Kayteeb tchgrin

M0nica your post reminded me of something similar that happened to my friend's husband. We were at a do with a buffet and he covered his black forest gateau with mayonnaise thinking it was cream. He ate it all because he was 'in company' and told us on the way home in the car! tchgrin

Kayteeb53 Mon 01-Jan-18 20:08:53

?. Don’t get this much fun from a takeaway

Legs55 Tue 02-Jan-18 11:01:29

You've all cheered up my morning, I don't remember any "food horrors" although I'm sure there must have been some.

Made my morning, I'm sat here chuckling away, makes up for the miserable weather outsidetchgrin

Nandalot Tue 02-Jan-18 11:34:33

One Christmas, crisis was averted when lovely SIL was spotted about to sprinkle Ajax on the Christmas roast potatoes instead of salt. The DC still mention this occasionally almost 40 years on, though she doesn’t remember.

Ilovedragonflies Tue 02-Jan-18 11:59:57

My niece hates brussels sprouts with a passion, but this year she tucked in very happily. We were very impressed until we found out it was because she'd craftily passed the real ones under the table to the dog and replaced them with the chocolate version! The dog gave it away, funnily enough, and it didn't take too long. Believe me when I say that the side effects on humans are nothing compared to how they act on our canine friends!

Rolande Tue 02-Jan-18 12:00:21

LOL!! So funny. Aren't men simple! Apple turnover with ketchup, Hilarious! Once I was clearing the kitchen with my DD after dinner where I had served chocolate cake for pudding . There was a bit of chocolate on the work surface, so I scooped it up with my finger and ate it...YAK ! My DD had just fed the cat and I was eating cat food. She never let me forgot that! Good to laugh this morning in this pouring rain. Happy New Year to all!

Elrel Tue 02-Jan-18 12:28:22

Once watched (from too far away to stop him) a friend cover his profiteroles with lashings of mayonnaise. Several of us held our breath as he rejoined us at the table only to laugh immoderately at his face when he tucked in!

Overthehills Tue 02-Jan-18 12:42:33

Really made me laugh Ilovedragonflies! Sorry about the dog though.shock

inishowen Tue 02-Jan-18 12:46:55

I've been dying to tell someone my story! On Boxing Day my hubby said he'd made me a lovely cocktail. He handed it to me with an green olive floating in it. I tasted it and it was odd. Then I realised he'd used the olives that had a clove of garlic stuffed in them! I smiled and said it was delicious.

merrellina Tue 02-Jan-18 13:14:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jevive73 Tue 02-Jan-18 13:34:32

Not Christmas, but my Polish neighbour was politely eating the strawberries drenched in caster sugar with cream until I joined her and realsed my hsband had covered them in salt by mistake!

yellowcanary Tue 02-Jan-18 13:39:48

Years ago, my father and his then partner had brought me home from the hospital after my husband had passed away - she made a cup of tea for us all, dad drank his and spit it straight out - she had only put salt in it instead of sugar (still cannot work out how as completely different containers)

Minerva Tue 02-Jan-18 13:55:11

Just after my first baby was born MIL told us we would have to host her lodger as he would be on his own on Christmas Day while she was with relatives. We had been a few months in the tiniest flat with a triangular kitchen so small you could stand in the middle and reach sink, cooker and fridge. We were also broke and could only manage a small chicken, the first proper meal I had ever cooked. The baby needed feeding and the chicken overcooked and was so dry and tough our not very sharp knife made a tangled mess of it while the vegetables were all overcooked and gravy came from a packet. Our very old guest ploughed miserably through his meal while I tried to rock the baby to sleep and make small talk. It turned out he worked, and ate, at the Savoy Hotel in London. Poor man. I am embarrassed still at the thought of it.

seemercloud Tue 02-Jan-18 14:23:42

One pre-Christmas time, I looked after a friend's child, along with my 3, for the day, whilst his Mum worked. He told his Mum afterwards that I made lovely chips, so she asked me what I did. My children knew the answer. There'd been a sugar sifter on the table ready for the dessert, which he mistook for the salt! Apparently my children giggled but didn't say anything.

Camelotclub Tue 02-Jan-18 14:26:05

My mum once found dad trying to fry half an apricot. This was in the days when you saved every scrap of food and he'd thought it was an egg.

Camelotclub Tue 02-Jan-18 14:27:54

Minerva
Why didn't lodger have his Xmas meal at the Savoy?!

mrswoo Tue 02-Jan-18 15:12:25

Years ago my exH and I were house hunting and viewed a not very nice flat which we knew straight away we wouldn’t buy. Although we wanted to leave ASAP we were young and too polite to refuse the offer of a cup of coffee. Despite the fact it smelt odd, in our haste to leave, we both took a gulp of the liquid - only to discover it had been made with curry powder. ?