Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing

(100 Posts)
mollie Tue 02-Jan-18 12:09:35

I know someone will tell me to get a life grin but I’d like your views on washing powders/liquids and I know you will all have interesting opinions so please bear with me...

I use a non bio liquid and a fabric conditioner for everything. Sometimes I use a 40 degree white wash setting, sometimes A 40degree easy care setting. Sometimes I add a quick wash to reduce the wash time. We wear most things once so nothing is very grubby. That used to do the trick but I’ve noticed things are looking a little less sparkling clean, whites aren’t brilliant and colours are a bit dull. And some fabrics felt a bit weird - I put that down to using the plastic capsules that had been on offer so now I’m back to the usual liquid.

So my question is: is it important to use different liquids for whites and colours and are you meticulous about using the full measure that’s suggested by the manufacturer? I’m never convinced I get 40 washes, are you? And, can hard water make a difference?

Teetime Tue 02-Jan-18 12:19:46

I use Persil or Ariel non bio capsules (same for everything)so the dose is already made. I gave up fabric conditioner years ago and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I was clothes on 40/30 degrees and bedding and towels on 60.

MissAdventure Tue 02-Jan-18 12:20:34

Oh! Get a life! grin
I always used to find that colours faded quite quickly unless I used a detergent for 'colours'. I'm not sure if items still fade, or if my eyesight is too bad to notice now.

Charleygirl Tue 02-Jan-18 12:38:06

I use Morrisons own bio tablets and they work a treat and I rarely have to add a stain remover. They are also cheaper than most.

I use the same for whites as well as coloureds and I also gave up using fabric conditioner years ago. That I think saves me a fortune. I use 30 and 40 degrees for everything unless I am washing woollens.

hildajenniJ Tue 02-Jan-18 13:20:41

I use anything that DH brings home. I haven't used fabric conditioner since the '80's as DH became allergic to it. I am currently using the Ariel liquid tabs. I think they are meant to contain fabric conditioner, but DH doesn't react to them. I only ever wear knicker and socks once, every thing else I wear two, three or four times before washing them. When I think of my childhood, I wore the same sweater for the full week.

Pittcity Tue 02-Jan-18 13:23:01

I use Aldi Almat tablets. 2 in 1 at 30 degrees for most things. The ordinary bio with white vinegar for towels. I only use one tablet instead of the recommended two and add a bit of washing soda. Works a treat and is cheap!
I separate lights and darks but don't change detergents.

downtoearth Tue 02-Jan-18 13:23:03

Oooh * mollie* get a life ...meet a friend for coffee grin....I use Bold 3 ...but our water is very hard isnt it brew

jusnoneed Tue 02-Jan-18 13:25:38

I use Lidls liquid for washing and have a bottle of whichever softener is on offer when I want some. I usually do a quick wash at 40 degrees but occasionally give the whites a hot wash.
I treat anything that needs it with Astonish cleaner which I buy in local hardware shop as it's the only place I can get the bar (looks like bar of soap). Find it better than the sprays etc.

ginny Tue 02-Jan-18 13:45:23

I use liquid, whichever is the cheapest, usually from Costco. No fabric conditioners. Works well with just Ace stain for any particular stains.

midgey Tue 02-Jan-18 13:51:39

Try washing your machine! Soda crystals in the hottest possible wash. Advice our friend who mended them gave me.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 02-Jan-18 14:19:41

Non-bio liquid for whites and coloureds (never separate them anyway). No conditioner - what's the point? Astonish bar or Vanish spray for stains ( you're right, jusnoneed, the bar is better, it just gets lost now and again...). Usual wash is 40º Mixed Load with towels at 60º Cotton and some things at 30º. I use less liquid than recommended but have soft water.

Marydoll Tue 02-Jan-18 14:39:17

Morrisons non bio liquid for years , as it's the only thing my daughter is not allergic to.
We have very soft water, so never experience any problems.

kittylester Tue 02-Jan-18 14:48:16

I use persil purple liquid! I also use conditioner - comfort yellow- for the fresh smell. Think I might try not using conditioner.

M0nica Tue 02-Jan-18 15:06:04

Gosh, I never even think of things like this. I do one white and one coloured wash each week, use the same programme and same detergent for both. I do not think I have ever even investigated a bottle of fabric softener, still less bought any.

As far as I am concerned colour fade is to do with the dyes and fabrics used by the manufacturers, not how I wash the garment.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Jan-18 15:38:52

I squirted foundation on to my new top as I was getting ready to go out! and used Vanish Spray on it then a wash in Persil Bio powder.
The stain was still there so I rubbed it with ordinary white toilet soap then washed it again on a quick wash.
The stain had disappeared.

I've been using Persil bio powder for coloured clothes and Surcare powder for everything else as a change from using the liquids.

I have never measured how many washes I get

lemongrove Tue 02-Jan-18 15:48:32

Am using a capful of Ariel Bio, a hot wash for towels (60)
Cotton bedding ditto.No conditioner.
For clothes, same detergent but less of it, a 40 wash for cottons, and a 30 wash for man made fibre and a dash of Sainsburys conditioner.Clothes are done on a quick wash.
All seem clean and keep their colours.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Jan-18 15:50:09

I don't know how long our clothes, towels etc will last now we have a new tumble dryer - there seems to be a lot more fluff coming off in each load than with the old dryer.

mollie Tue 02-Jan-18 16:00:48

I knew some one would tell me to get a life wink!

Can’t believe there’s only a couple of us who use fabric softener. shock am I being conned by advertising yet again??

I’ll give the soda a try - a newish machine but it can’t hurt. I used to wear clothes for days and can’t remember when that changed. Probably explains things looking dingy - overwashed!!

jusnoneed Tue 02-Jan-18 16:03:17

I always find that anything greasy is best treated with a drop of washing up liquid, as soon as it's on a garment if possible (my OH is terrible for missing his mouth lol) but even if it's not noticed straight away. Not often any grease stays there when the item is then washed.
Our water is hard, hence the need for softener.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Jan-18 16:10:56

I do use fabric softener when washing anything that could cling as it seems to stop the static.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Jan-18 16:12:32

(my OH is terrible for missing his mouth lol)

Me too! As DH says 'how did you miss your mouth, it's big enough.'

However, on this occasion I was being mean and trying to get the last drops out of the bottle of foundation (well, it is expensive) and it squirted everywhere.

Bathsheba Tue 02-Jan-18 16:14:31

I use only Tesco Loves Baby washing liquid and Surcare fabric conditioner for all my washing, because I have a skin condition and have to avoid the fragrances added to virtually all other washing liquids/conditioners. If there's a stubborn stain on anything I will resort to soaking it in Oxy, but then have to be sure to wash and rinse it thoroughly afterwards to remove any traces.

NannyTee Tue 02-Jan-18 16:32:58

If DHs medication rash is playing up, I use the fairy capsules. 2 in 1. Otherwise persil and yellow comfort. Smells divine .

GrandmaMoira Tue 02-Jan-18 16:43:55

I've been using Ariel capsules, always bought on offer price. Recently I've found the remains of the capsule around the door of the machine and some things not so clean. I do use soda or Dr Beckman regularly to wash it. I am going to revert to liquid wash and fabric softener (Tesco) as I don't think the modern machines rinse enough for the capsules. Even with an extra rinse, a full load never feels properly rinsed so I do smaller loads nowadays. I only use 30 degree wash. I think powder is cheapest and washes best but is not good for excema. I always use non bio but my colours are fine.

mollie Tue 02-Jan-18 17:08:19

Exactly what I found with the capsules GrandmaMoira

I’m a lazy toad and my older washing machines used to let me know when the filters etc needed emptying (basically they stopped working) but my last machine and this new one never do so I’m just using and using and using confused is there a rule of thumb about cleaning and filters or are the machines much better now? I’m always behind with info like this.