Gransnet forums

House and home

Memory Pillows

(18 Posts)
giulia Wed 17-Jan-18 14:51:45

What does anyone think of these? Are they good? Do they wash well? Do they prevent cervical problems? Have been hesitating about buying one for a long time.

midgey Wed 17-Jan-18 14:56:40

To my mind they are hot, I hate hot/warm pillows!

tanith Wed 17-Jan-18 14:57:21

I can't sleep on memory foam it makes me sweat unfortunately.

kittylester Wed 17-Jan-18 15:16:57

We both love ours. Ours has a washable cover - I sometimes even remember to wash it.

Greenfinch Wed 17-Jan-18 15:47:31

I love mine.It has a protective case on it as well as the pillow case so I haven't worried too much about washing it.

Greyduster Wed 17-Jan-18 15:52:36

Bought one from John Lewis. Cost a packet. Can’t sleep on it as it is too warm! I have a Dunlopillo one which suits me better.

shysal Wed 17-Jan-18 17:55:50

There is another pillow thread on the go. I have recommended Dormeo Octaspring which contain memory foam formed into sort of 'springs'. I have also seen a different one to mine, called Octasense, advertised on TV by the same company. Mine is not at all hot and I am a hot body who has to use cooling gel mats in the bed. I believe you can even get a pillow containing a gel. Expensive but worth it for a good night's sleep.
www.dormeo.co.uk/octaspring/octaspring-pillows.html

Coolgran65 Wed 17-Jan-18 18:11:42

I love mine, it's smaller than a standard pillow and suits my needs for my neck. I even take it in my suitcase on hols.

NfkDumpling Wed 17-Jan-18 18:58:24

We both have Tempur pillows. Our second lot. The first were small but these are normal sized. We’ve got the ones shaped to fit your neck which we prefer although they took a bit more getting used to. You feel a lot nearer the bed! They’ve definitely helped with neck and back problems for both of us. Neither of us find them particularly warmer than ordinary ones although the Tempur mattress certainly is. I put ordinary pillow cases on which I change normally and I wash the removeable cover less often.

Sar53 Wed 17-Jan-18 21:14:34

We recently bought a new mattress and two memory foam side sleeper pillows from Benson's. They also sell back sleeper pillows.
We weren't totally convinced that they would suit us but have slept on them for about 3 weeks and they are very comfortable.
They keep quite cool as well. Not cheap, about £59 each but so far so good.

SpringyChicken Wed 17-Jan-18 22:39:30

Pardon me for asking, but what's the 'cervical' connection?
My husband gets on very well with his memory pillow from Dunelm. We have put it inside two cotton pillowcases and he doesn't find it too hot.

BlueBelle Wed 17-Jan-18 22:46:05

I ve never noticed it being warm but maybe with no heating in the bedroom it wouldn’t pick any heat up
I have not thought about washing it as i use it with a washable cover and only me
I think they re comfortable

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Jan-18 22:59:12

Pardon me for asking, but what's the 'cervical' connection?
neck problems (as in cervical verterbrae)
I think you're thinking of the cervix SpringChicken!
both pertaining to 'neck' of course

I have slept on one but found it too hot, as is a memory foam mattress

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Jan-18 22:59:56

vertebrae (sp)

SpringyChicken Wed 17-Jan-18 23:03:32

lol, thanks Jalimal! Yes, I was thinking of the other end!

MissAdventure Wed 17-Jan-18 23:06:36

grin

Nelliemoser Wed 17-Jan-18 23:47:33

I bought a MF pillow at the end of last summer when one of my painful back joints were really bad.
It is quite useful as being soft it cushions the most painful part of the offending joint by taking off the pressure in a way ordinary pillows do not.

I could probably have managed with a small memory foam pad. Dunelm Mill sells them.
As I get a cricked neck with most ordinary pillows I cut an old pillow down and made the pillow case smaller with enough filling in it to suit the back of my neck. (You just keep stuffing or unstuffing it to suit your self.)
I am now tempted to try a pad of MF foam just for that.

giulia Thu 18-Jan-18 06:03:07

Thanks to all of you who responded. I found some very useful information here.