Gransnet forums

House and home

Carpet cleaners - bad experience with Vax so which one do I buy now?

(15 Posts)
jjlower Sun 05-May-19 13:01:22

Likewise I bought a vax stretch pet - motor burnt out in less than two years - vax not interested in help - just want to sell me another at discount.
Poor product - should last longer

gt66 Mon 18-Feb-19 08:31:12

Karcher. I've had mine for 37 years!!

BlueBelle Mon 18-Feb-19 08:08:29

I bought a Vax carpet cleaner and have never ever found it to be any use it seemed to clog up although I always used it after hoovering it never seemed to suck properly and I was thoroughly disheartened with it I should have taken it back but didn’t and it is still sitting looking ugly in my back cupboard I scrub on my hands and knees again
I would never buy Vax again and can’t affird all the special shampoos anyway

ainee001 Mon 18-Feb-19 08:03:57

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ainee001 Mon 18-Feb-19 07:58:12

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

FlexibleFriend Fri 15-Feb-19 12:02:45

I bought a rug doctor but hey are very expensive. I bought it because at the time I had an incontinent dog and couldn't keep hiring one just to spot clean. Anyway apart from being fab it's also very good, solidly built etc etc but in all honesty if your shampooing twice a year just hire one when you need it. I've had several bissels before the Rug doctor and they all stopped working just when I needed them.

tonny001 Thu 14-Feb-19 12:03:04

I am running my industry rugler.
At Rugler, we ensure export quality handmade rugs and carpets are provided to every customer in all sizes and colors at the best price.
In my opinion, the following are the best carpet cleaners on the market?
#1 BISSELL Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine #86T3.
#2 Review of Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 Pet Pack.
#3 BISSELL DeepClean Deluxe Pet #36Z9.
#5 Review of Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe #FH50150.

jeanie99 Wed 31-Oct-18 08:18:07

If you are out of warranty I don't think you'll get far with a complete replacement.
I think with any product you just have to check out customer reviews before purchase, that'll all we can do. Even with good reviews there will always be some machines which have problems. We are in a disposable society, things are not made to last 25 yrs.
We had a Vax cleaner for many years and bought a second one when the first one died. This was when the children were small and into teenagers +.
Because I found it was hard work to clean the carpets and now into retirement I have now decided to just get a company in when I need the carpets cleaning.
We are now only two people retired and honestly don't need to clean the carpets as often.
The last time I had some of the carpets cleaned it didn't cost too much so I now don't intend buying a carpet cleaner again.
Best of luck though with your new purchase.

Jane43 Thu 18-Oct-18 19:05:19

We used to have a Vax, the first one started to smoke when we used it so we took it back and replaced it but were never really happy with it and got rid of it last year. The attachment for upholstery was useless. Before that we hired twice a year from The Rug Doctor and will probably do so again soon. I have used a Bissell in America and it was heavy but very good.

Grammaretto Mon 15-Oct-18 16:09:08

I hired from the rug doctor. It was very efficient. I had someone to help me as it was heavy.

www.rugdoctor.co.uk/hire/

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Oct-18 14:42:25

I borrowed a Bex Bissell from someone and it was very effective but it was also extremely heavy. Like a lead-weight vacuum cleaner - can you look at some reviews online?

JulieLH Mon 15-Oct-18 14:40:00

I am on my second Vax upright as the first one leaked and was replaced. just about to contact Vax about my second one which started emiting smoke and spread dirt all over the bit 9f the carpet I managed to do. never again VAX! will look at Bissell as suggested

cornergran Mon 29-Jan-18 14:59:55

Bissell for us too. Had two in 25 years.

paddyann Mon 29-Jan-18 14:47:50

we've always had Bissell ,very reliable and never had any major issues with them .Last one was 15 years old when we passed it on ,and my OH shampoos carpets monthly so it had a lot of use .

Roxannediane Mon 29-Jan-18 13:55:20

I have had 3 vax carpet cleaners over the past 25 years. Having always had 2 dogs and a growing number of grandchildren I found the need to wash my carpets at least twice a year.
The first was the old orange cylinder which lasted me 22 years until it finally died.
I then purchased a vax upright with two tanks and the first time I used it there was a terrible noise and burning smell and smoke coming from the compartment where the belt is housed. The belt had come off its tracks and melted one of the cogs. I contacted the supplier and they immediately sent me a new machine which I have always used with trepidation after the first, frightening incident. So it is now just 3 years old, and after Christmas I used it for the 6/7th time and exactly the same thing happened. We opened the compartment and the cog has melted out of shape and the belt is damaged. There is a lot of black sooty residue in the compartment, impossible to clean off. I compared it to the photos I had taken of the first one, and it is exactly the same fault. I contacted Vax and as it is out of warranty (2 years) they are not interested. They will give me a discount on a new machine, but take no responsiblity for the fault. I think this is quite shortsighted of them as there seems to be an inherent problem with the machine and I wondered if anyone else had experienced this issue with this make?
Needless to say, I am now looking for a new carpet cleaner and wondered if anyone could recommend one they have used [ regularly] and is problem free. I was thinking maybe Bex Bissell?
Very grateful for any advice please.