Gransnet forums

House and home

My Husband is uncomfortable with kisses on the bottom!

(68 Posts)
Liz08 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:08:52

No, it's not what you think. Haha. He just has an aversion to text messages signed with an kiss after the name.
We both belong to many different groups comprising of people of all ages but quite often when an acquaintance (male or female) contacts him they sign their name with an X after it.
He doesn't know how to respond to this. With his RAF background he wants to put OAO (Over And Out) but that might mean something with Hugs in it ........
Any suggestions? confused

kittylester Tue 13-Mar-18 07:58:19

I find it impossible not to add 2 kisses in the bottom of anything I write/type and quite often have to remove them from posts!blush

Farmor15 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:10:57

Love the title of thread! But I’m with Liz’s husband, Grandma70s and Esspee. In our family we never do it and I haven’t since writing letters as a child. If I get a text with xx I don’t put one in my reply. I’ve a friend obsessed with cats who always does it, like Cherrytree’s cattery lady. smile

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:27:43

I only do it with close friends and family, I did it by accident to a committee member (male) recently and immediately sent another email to apologise!
Anyway, a kiss on the bottom is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

DanniRae Tue 13-Mar-18 08:35:05

I have a scale for xx's on the end of texts:

x - for friends and family
xx - for close friends and family
xxx - for VERY close friends and family

PamelaJ1 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:58:34

??? but only to my nearest and dearest.

TerriBull Tue 13-Mar-18 09:04:34

Another kisser here, particularly as my children always put one or more in their texts to me, so obviously I reciprocate and always with husband, not that we text each other a lot. With one of my oldest friends when we text to arrange our next "ladies that lunch" meetup our texts invariably include kisses at the end of texts. However, another very close friend never does that so when I respond I don't either although we both use emojis.

grannyactivist Tue 13-Mar-18 09:23:31

My daughter once took me to task for never ending my texts to her with a x; since then I try to remember to end family texts with one, but I do often forget. I do sometimes put one at the end of an email to friends and family, but I always have to actually think about it.
Having deliberately ignored this thread thinking it was a bit iffy I clicked on it accidentally and then laughed out loud when I saw the OP. smile

GrandmaMoira Tue 13-Mar-18 09:47:48

I never put kisses except in cards to my DGC. I was also brought up not to do it and see no reason to change for texts.

GabriellaG Tue 13-Mar-18 10:09:13

He could put 'Roger' or 'Copy' but even those words might have undesirable connotations.
Perhaps he could put XXXXXXXXX olus ??❤❤flowers in the hopes that it will put the sender of the message off.

GabriellaG Tue 13-Mar-18 10:09:51

*plus

Kim19 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:14:58

I'm with your husband 100 per cent. These 'kisses'. are so automatic and random that they become as insincere as the 'love you' now being used as a sign off replacing 'bye on the telephone. Make me shudder and they so diminish the real thing. VERY clever headline! Thanks.

GabriellaG Tue 13-Mar-18 10:19:17

I like a few kisses on the bottom but only when I'm fresh out of the bath/shower.
Seriously, I really don't like female friends putting kisses in messages. Men, unless I've known them for years or they're family, tend not to do it.
Funnily enough, years ago when I joined a dating site, one man used to sprinkle them, like confetti, throughout texts or messages online until I strongly suggested he stop. He confessed to having the habit no matter who he text, even his friends....hmm

Peardrop50 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:22:12

I love kisses on the bottom from family and close friends. I do have to be a bit careful with builders, etc., because it becomes a habit.
When not texting I like a kiss on one cheek only, not keen on both cheeks.

Teddy123 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:35:09

? xx

pollyperkins Tue 13-Mar-18 10:41:11

I tend to only use kisses on cards, emails etc for very close family. However lots of my female friends scatter them liberally so Ive started putting one modest x in reply in case they think I'm cold or unfriendly . I think its a bit juvenile to be honest . DH would never put kisses on an email though he does on birthday cards to GC only!!! (Oh, and to me!)

farview Tue 13-Mar-18 10:45:23

Haha love the thread title..LOOK how quickly so many people read it...smile xx

luluaugust Tue 13-Mar-18 10:53:27

So glad you haven't got a problem!

squirrel5 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:58:57

I,m withEloethan,I put kisses to family and closefriends,,and smiles to anyone else x ?

Florence64 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:07:38

I don't tend to text older, male family members, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't put kisses if I did. I remember meeting up with an old neighbour at a funeral once. At the same time as he put his hand out to shake hands, I embraced him and the look of horror and confusion on his face was enough to make me more careful in future!

Legs55 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:09:45

Thank you for making me LOL (laugh out loud)grin

I do add kisses on text/messages to DD & close friends also in cards to close family & close friends.

A habit I have when talking to any-one either face to face or on the phone is calling them "love" or "luv" , comes from my Yorkshire upbringing, part of the way I speak, sorry if I offend. So I think "kisses on the bottom" is quite acceptablesmile

sarahellenwhitney Tue 13-Mar-18 11:19:56

Liz08
I am on your husbands wavelength.
No, I am not ex RAf.

inishowen Tue 13-Mar-18 11:27:11

My friends little boy was writing a birthday card to his friend. He asked what people did if they didn't want to kiss. His mum said "they shake hands". It was with some amusement she read his card. He'd written "with love and shake hands"!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 13-Mar-18 12:17:13

I must admit I hardly ever put an x at the end of texts and I rarely give them much thought. I don't even bother to reciprocate if I receive them either. I don't know what that says about me.

driverann Tue 13-Mar-18 12:17:14

Kisses don’t cost anything and mean a lot. But there again all to their own.

Jan51 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:34:55

When DH and SIL text each other they sign off with MY (man hugs) lol.