Gransnet forums

House and home

Tempory floor protection

(10 Posts)
jeanie99 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:23:32

We need to have a new boiler and re-pipe of the central heating system, so bit of a nightmare.
I have covers for the furniture and can purchase the very inexpensive film also but.
I am wondering if anyone knows of a floor protector which I can purchase for my carpets and wooden flooring which doesn't cost the earth.

Scribbles Tue 20-Mar-18 10:32:42

We had the same work done last summer, Jeannie and the heating engineers brought their own floor coverings - heavy duty cotton tarpaulin things which they laid from the front door right throughout the house. So before you lay out for your own coverings, why not give your contractors a call and check whether they do the same?
PS. They also brought their own vacuum cleaner and used it each evening after they took up the coverings. Not a mark left anywhere; they were brilliant!

J52 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:52:12

Homebase sell floor protection, black foam stuff. I think it was quite cheap.

Charleygirl Tue 20-Mar-18 12:11:06

I agree Scribbles A decent company will provide its own floor and furniture protection.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Mar-18 12:55:32

We have just had plumbing work done and they brought their own heavy duty protection for carpets and some kind of sticky plastic for the wooden floors (when they pulled it off it didn't leave any marks afterwards).

They brought their own vacuum cleaner too and cleared up each evening before they left.

Perhaps you could check with them before spending any money on floor protection.

jeanie99 Tue 20-Mar-18 14:31:38

Thanks everyone for your advice.
We haven't decided yet on a contractor just in the process of getting quotes I was thinking ahead of how to manage this.
Yes I do need to ask now when they arrive, it's just I've had my mind on the heating problems and trying to get that sorted and only now I've thought about the mess.
It's probably the cold that is affecting my brain, well at least that's my excuse.

NanTheWiser Tue 20-Mar-18 18:20:03

When having my kitchen refurbished, I used this Kenley carpet protector film, which was just the job - came up leaving my new carpet spotless.

PamelaJ1 Tue 20-Mar-18 18:38:57

Didn’t have a problem when we had a new boiler. The Plummer put it in a different room and we have wooden floors.

YIXINWEI Mon 23-Apr-18 09:58:08

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Greyduster Mon 23-Apr-18 10:35:58

When we had the bathroom ripped out last year, the plumber put down the same sort of film NanTheWiser had, on the stairs and landing carpets. Does a great job; just be extra careful if you have it on stairs.