Gransnet forums

House and home

Help! Keeping white pillowcases white.

(17 Posts)
mostlyharmless Wed 11-Apr-18 21:45:56

I love crisp white cotton bedding. Unfortunately, the pillowcases seem to go yellow quickly. Neither of us wear hair products so I don’t know why. Now my newest pillowcases are started to yellow after a few days!
I do try pouring neat washing liquid onto the yellow areas and drying in direct sunshine (when we actually have sun).

Any ideas please?

tanith Wed 11-Apr-18 22:03:32

I have white bedding which is always washed with other whites at 60* line dried if possible and it wears out before it discolours. Do you keep it separate at a higher temp?

janeainsworth Wed 11-Apr-18 22:07:35

I soak our white pillowcases in a solution of Vanish Oxy for a few hours before washing at 40 or 60 if they look bad!
Seems to work.

Situpstraight Wed 11-Apr-18 22:09:27

My white bedding goes in at 60 degrees and then gets tumble dried, no problems with yellowing. Although I’ve noticed that some vintage bedding that I keep in boxes in the airing cupboard have started to yellow, but they are about 60 years old.
If yours are that new, I would take them back to the store you bought them from and get them exchanged or your money back.

mostlyharmless Wed 11-Apr-18 22:29:08

Thanks for the advice.
I always wash whites with whites but only occasionally at 60. I'll have to wash at 60 every time and try soaking first.

Scribbles Wed 11-Apr-18 22:31:02

Try a scoop of Napisan in the wash; it seems to work for most things.

tassiegran Thu 12-Apr-18 00:26:45

I soak in a hot napisan solution before washing (just pillow slips, not sheets). Pure cotton is hard to keep white but I have never used anything but white sheets for 47 years. Love them.

NfkDumpling Thu 12-Apr-18 06:45:48

I buy cream coloured.

BBbevan Thu 12-Apr-18 07:44:18

Many years ago I took this from a magazine.
Soak for 15-20 mins in white vinegar.
Then rinse and soak for 15-30 mins in Biotex or similar. Then wash on hot using a glo white sachet.
It has worked very well as all my bedding is white.
The yellowing comes from perspiration.

midgey Thu 12-Apr-18 08:21:59

I use Vanish Crystal White every now and then, does really seem to work. I do wonder at the idea of washing everything at lower temperatures to save electricity and a whole new line of products have appeared to kill bugs that low temperatures haven’t dealt with? Is that actually any saving at all for the world?

silverlining48 Thu 12-Apr-18 08:36:06

I have the same problem, always much worse on dh pillowcases. I never use a hot 60 or more wash (to save the environment so I am told by dd) so it’s usually 40 for everything. I line dry when I can but they are yellow. I don’t like them. Have tried bleach, didn’t work. Even if I buy new it’s not long and they are yellow. Dh bald and a a bit sweaty that’s ptobably it. I don’t want to switch to dark bedding. I like white, or cream.

janeainsworth Thu 12-Apr-18 10:55:28

Try the Vanish products silverlining. They really do work.
I managed to revive a badly stained pillow that had been in the cupboard for years with several soakings followed by a hot wash. It was pristine by the time I’d finished with it.
I do think it’s better for the environment to try to preserve things rather than chucking them out and buying new.

janeainsworth Thu 12-Apr-18 10:56:50

The other thing I do is use thick cotton ticking pillow protectors as well as pillow slips.

Baggs Thu 12-Apr-18 11:05:12

Hottest wash possible plus prewash and using soda crystals instead of other cleaning products. I only use the soda crystals in the prewash. It's not necessary to use more detergent for the wash.

mostlyharmless Thu 12-Apr-18 18:33:06

Thanks for your advice everyone. I will try some of the bleaching ideas and a hotter wash.

silverlining48 Thu 12-Apr-18 20:40:21

Yes Thankyou Jane will give this a go.
No I don’t throw them away, I know they are clean so still use them but just annoyed how quickly they can turn off white!

gmelon Fri 13-Apr-18 11:54:48

All my bedding is white. My towels also. I use a scoopful of vanish in a sixty degree wash with n Aries pod. On every white wash.
I don't presoak.
My grandmother was a fan of biotex .
I'm also one who wonders why we now have products to kill bacteria in our laundry. A good sixty degree for bedding and towels is essential.