Gransnet forums

House and home

Window film

(10 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 21-Apr-18 15:01:13

I'm trying to find a film to stick at the top of our patio doors to stop the glare of the sun. Something like the top edge of a car windscreen. So that we don't have to close the curtains and lose the view of the garden, which I have to do if I'm sitting by the doors reading or trying to see TV screen.
Has anyone seen anything like this ? I've searched to no avail.

shysal Sat 21-Apr-18 17:39:46

Nina, if you do an Ebay search under 'window sun film' there are several products which might suit you.
Good luck!

AlieOxon Sat 21-Apr-18 17:52:52

I'm going to get - when I find it - some pretty film to put on the bottom 8" of my bedroom window.
Out of the window used to be all trees, very overgrown but better to see than what it is now - like a football field, with dogs on it....
If I cover the lowest part of the window then I won't see most of it.

There are a lot of window stickers online.
I might also get something to put on another window where birds are liable to fly into it!

shysal Sat 21-Apr-18 18:15:16

I am considering getting some too so continued to search and came up with this site for see-through and frosted options.
www.windowfilm.co.uk/buy-online/window-film-by-the-metre/uv-protection

valeriej43 Sat 21-Apr-18 18:33:27

Betterwear sell window film, not expensive
i would like some for my front door window, but would like some with a pattern of a rose or something coloured in it,
Most seem to be fairly plain looking

ninathenana Sat 21-Apr-18 18:48:05

I will look at Ebay shysal thankyou.
I did find the company in the link and having looked again have ordered a sample. Thanks.
Are the Betterware ones not more for decoration and privacy rather than sun screening ?

Treebee Sat 21-Apr-18 21:43:24

A friend of mine has had applied the window film from the firm shysal links to and she recommends them highly.

allsortsofbags Sat 21-Apr-18 22:37:35

I have window film on two of my windows,

Bought it from e-bay, very pleased. First one was sticky backed, not so easy to apply. Second one was applied by wetting the window, much easier and it can be taken off easily and put back on.

I'm pleased with the look and functionality of both. Good Luck

stella1949 Sun 22-Apr-18 04:24:22

It's worth paying the extra to have it applied professionally. My bedroom windows get the morning glare of the sun - I got the film that is used on car windows , it's very good at reducing the glare dramatically. But I didn't want bubbles or creases so I paid a tradesman to do it. After years it still looks and works perfectly.

tiredoldwoman Sun 22-Apr-18 09:13:36

B and Q have stick on stained glass look film . I 've put in on my upstairs landing windows and it throws beautiful colours around the hallways but doesn't keep out any light . I think it was about £5 ?