Gransnet forums

House and home

Spin dryers are back

(47 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Thu 24-May-18 20:55:53

It would seem that spin-drier sales are on the up.
My mum had a twin tub as did we for the first year of our marriage.

The spun washing thinking back, came out much less wet (can't think of a better way is saying it) than the washing today from my automatic washing machine.
So probably would have dried quicker on the line or on a clothes horse.

I don't really have much room for a single spin drier but would it make sense to use one in the winter.
Cutting down on the time in the tumble drier or hanging in or outdoors?

Also thinking back to the hard towel thread
less outside drying time required, so softer towels?

Does any GNer use a single spin drier?

Cherrytree59 Thu 24-May-18 21:00:10

Grr auto correction!
spin-dryer sales

Auntieflo Thu 24-May-18 21:02:14

I used to love my Fridgidaire spin dryer, but it could dance across the floor if loaded unevenly smile

Welshwife Thu 24-May-18 21:22:22

I had one when the children were small as my washing machine was aHotpoint Countess with an electric mangle - the spin drier got more water out which was handy for nappies in the winter.
After getting an automatic I kept the spin drier for when I did hand washing.
They are handy if you have the space to keep them.

Willow500 Thu 24-May-18 21:42:43

I inherited my mum's twin tub after a mangle and loved it - replaced it with another when it packed in. I could have the washing done in half the time of an automatic and it was drier too. Obviously back in the day automatics were more desirable though so that's the way it went.

seacliff Fri 25-May-18 07:15:27

I just had a very little Hoover spin dryer, and had to hand wash in my first flat, and take the bedding to the launderette. DIY - no Dot Cotton!

I had that spin dryer for about 20 years. It went a bit rusty but still worked. It was useful when the washing machine broke. Very economical compared with a tumble dryer.

kittylester Fri 25-May-18 07:20:07

My washer has a sort of spin dryer setting which I use sometimes.

OldMeg Fri 25-May-18 07:25:15

My washing machine spins dry pretty efficiently especially if I choose a high rev.

Do people still use tumble dryers after all the safety issues?

harrigran Fri 25-May-18 07:44:21

I have a Hotpoint dryer and use it all the time, an engineer visited and modified the dryer. Never go out and leave it on though.

OldMeg Fri 25-May-18 07:56:38

Did you see Watchdog harrigran? Apparently the modifications are not working.

Welshwife Fri 25-May-18 08:44:07

My dryer is about 12 years old. I had it modified from the manufacturer and it needed to be looked at a couple of times and eventually they took it away as they messed it up. It was still not right and DH discovered that the belt had not been put on properl6 and was shredding.
We went to the man at the local shop who is lovely and very experienced. DH was with him while he did it and it still had a lot of fluff in it which this man hoovered out thoroughly - this was despite the fact I have always cleaned the filter every time I use it.
It is back in service now but I NEVER use it, the washing machine or dishwasher when we are out or in bed. This does at times cause problems and I cannot avail myself of the cheap electricity we get overnight but I have done this for years and intend to continue.

gillybob Fri 25-May-18 08:49:34

I have a spin only facility on my Whirlpool washing machine. I can alter the spin speed depending on what I am drying. I do a lot of washing for my DDiL and the children and my neighbours must think I run a part time laundry.

I have never had a tumble dryer. Never felt the need for one.

Welshwife Fri 25-May-18 08:57:25

Gilly how or where do you dry sheets, towels etc when you cannot put them on the line?

gillybob Fri 25-May-18 09:03:36

I spin them on the highest spin speed welshwife then hang them over my two banisters ( I live in a 3 storey house) when I go to work . Bone dry when I come back in. Ditto towels etc.

seacliff Fri 25-May-18 09:13:44

I too never leave tumble dryer on when I'm not there, never at night. Wouldn't risk it. Same with washing machine.

I dry clothes on the line, sometimes they need a quick tumble to finish them. I don't have much space indoors to dry big things. I do handwash and drip dry delicates over the bath.

I envy my friend who has a covered glass canopy outside, she can dry things easily there and no worries if it rains.

Welshwife Fri 25-May-18 09:22:00

Gilly i have no bannisters in this house - some things which cannot be tumble dried I hang on a rack in the utility but it takes a couple of days. I do have a covered terrace outside but here (SW France) we get very damp days where nothing dries so putting the rack outside is no good.

gillybob Fri 25-May-18 09:25:14

Oh that covered glass canopy seacliff envy

OurNan Fri 25-May-18 10:20:04

I’d very much like a covered glass canopy! Instead I’m going to spend today clearing out a little lean to greenhouse I haven’t ever used since I’ve lived here; it will take a zig zag airer and keep the rain off once the junk is gone

gransruleok Fri 25-May-18 10:26:57

When we were first married, 50 years ago, we just had an old, huge, washer with a mangle. One evening, struggling with the washing, the doorbell rang, and there stood my father-in-law, holding in his arms a spin dryer. I maintain to this day that that was the best present I have ever received. When it could spin no more, I replaced it. Very handy for delicates, or the odd bit of hand washing. I would recommend getting one.

Lindaylou55 Fri 25-May-18 10:50:27

My washing machine broke a few years ago and they couldn't come to repair it for 2 weeks. I bought a spin dryer out of Curry's and it's amazing! I have only used it a few times when machine has broken but it spins better than my 1600 spin in my machine. I don't have a tumble dryer but I do have a small spare room where I put all washing, if I can't hang it outside. Sheets etc hang over bedroom doors dry overnight!

maddyone Fri 25-May-18 10:55:49

I still use my tumble dryer in the winter time, or if it’s raining, I just never leave it on when I go out, and don’t put it on when we’re in bed. I also have a smoke alarm so I don’t worry about it, just use it.

Leah50 Fri 25-May-18 11:00:41

I have never had or wanted a washing machine, but love my spin-dryer, it gets the laundry dried so much quicker, whether indoors in winter or out on the line. Costs very little to run compared to a tumble dryer too.

Witzend Fri 25-May-18 11:01:07

I know they're brilliant, but what with far from huge kitchen and no utility as such, I wouldn't have room for a spin dryer. I do sometimes re-spin after a machine wash - notably the other day, when I'd done a few jumpers on the wool cycle. They came out a lot less wet 2nd time.

My sheets etc. usually go over the banisters and dry very quickly, unless I need them in a hurry - succession of guests, etc. - in which case they go in the tumble dryer, which is in a covered area outside the back door, along with the extra emergency-overload small fridge.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 25-May-18 11:06:47

Two years ago my' sales bargain??' washing machine packed up one months after its one year guarantee ran out .Second new machine in only five years? I hunted around determined not to make the same mistake.
I paid twice the price and plus for my new machine with a two year guarantee, Not just for its guarantee but capacity and most important its spin speed. Wool items and synthetics dry indoors in no time It will do a 'spin only' if you want to put some hand wash in.I would rather go the 'whole hog' all singing and dancing machine than the expense of a spin dryer.

sucraft Fri 25-May-18 11:30:47

I keep a spin dryer, usually in the loft or the garage. I have had cause to be really grateful, and so have friends and relatives when washing machines have not been fixable and washing has had to be done by hand in the mean time. I would not be without it, although it is not often seen