Gransnet forums

House and home

So who does the most housework etc in your home

(87 Posts)
jeanie99 Thu 27-Sep-18 10:33:37

Got me thinking with another question someone asked.

Since retirement I have slowly taken over all of the housework, kitchen, bathroom bedrooms etc
I tend the garden borders, wash out the bird bath
Feed the hedgehog
Arrange for tradesmen when jobs need doing.
Pay the bills
Arrange our holidays
Arrange visits to and from friends

nothing I do will get hubby to join in.

He puts the bins out once a week.
Mows the Lawn.

Cars go into the garage for maintenance.

So who does what in your house I would be interested to hear.

paddyann Thu 27-Sep-18 10:37:30

I do all the housework,cook ,clean shop buy presents,look after children etc etc etc.He does the garden and decorates and does any DIY neededand pays all the bills .It works for us .Its always been this way for almost 44 years and we 're both happy with it.I was concerned that he might want to take over stuff now he's semi retired but thankfully not .

MawBroon Thu 27-Sep-18 10:37:50

The cleaner !
Paw was very poorly for many years and while I used to get annoyed and frustrated at having to do the bins etc myself, the garden and everything else, it made it easier in a way to do it myself now I am on my own.
I zoom round with the little Alyson if anybody is coming but other than that my lovely fortnightly cleaner sees to most of it.
Hattie and I try not to make too much mess! ??. ?? ??

MawBroon Thu 27-Sep-18 10:38:50

Little Alyson is NOT my nickname for my Dyson!
Silly sexist iPad!

Jane10 Thu 27-Sep-18 10:55:55

Who does the cleaning in our stately residence? Why the staff of course! wink

Scribbles Thu 27-Sep-18 11:03:29

I do most of the cleaning although OH does his own bedroom and bathroom and will do other areas if presented with the vacuum cleaner and dusters put into his hand. We both loathe housework so, when all the work on the house is finished, the plan is to hire a regular cleaner.

For some reason, putting the bins out has always been "my" job, while he does any DiY and electrical maintenance. The garden is left to me and the gardener and he has full responsibility for the car.

All the regular bills are on direct debit (but it was me who set up all the utility accounts when we moved). Odd bills tend to be paid by the person who organised the service being paid for. That's me about 70% of the time!

Holidays are decided by mutual agreement but generally booked and paid for by me. Naturally, I'm the only person here who knows how to pack a suitcase!! Taking care of the cat from day to day plus veterinary care and booking the cattery is down to me as is keeping in touch with friends and relations and organising social life.

I do most of the household shopping, cooking, laundry and ironing but OH is a skilled emptier of dishwashers! He's good at hugs and an obliging chauffeur, too so I'll hang on to him for now. grin

Lynne59 Thu 27-Sep-18 11:05:19

I work 2-3 days a week, and I do:

washing, ironing, putting things away
hoovering, polishing, mopping
clean bathroom/toilet/utility room/kitchen/oven/fridge
shopping for food, presents, everything
pay bills
feed the cat/fish/wildlife
see to vet visits
cook, load/unload dishwasher
arrange all holidays and outings
do all driving, anywhere

Husband works 5 days a week. He does:
mows the lawn
does any decorating - eventually!
puts bins out
any small repairs on both cars
make cups of tea

silverlining48 Thu 27-Sep-18 11:09:25

My dh has almost completely taken over the cooking. Bfast, lunch and dinner. I hardly get a look in. He also likes to do food shopping on his own, housework we usually do together. I do the rest. So what else is there....
I do holidays, airport parking, all paperwork in general and project manage anything going on which needs it. christmas, birthdays, Anniversaries,
I am busy, most of the time, before any of you think i spend all day on GN like now actually. But he seems more sleepy these days have just woken him with a cuppa, toast and banana. Maybe he needs to cut back. I am all heart! Smile.

Anniebach Thu 27-Sep-18 11:13:58

My younger granddaughter comes to do what I can’t such as vacuuming. I muddle through the rest, Don’t have to cook so no cooker to clean

stella1949 Thu 27-Sep-18 12:49:56

I'm 69, DH is almost 80. We share most of the cooking and household tasks, but I tend to do a bit more of the cleaning because I'm very fussy about the appearance of the house.

I do all the driving / running around doing the shopping etc because he has reduced vision after a brain tumour was removed.

He does all the "family admin", ie the banking, paying bills etc which he does online. I buy all the family birthday and Christmas gifts, send cards.

sodapop Thu 27-Sep-18 13:37:35

My husband does all the shopping and cooking, I do cleaning, laundry and admin.
He does house and car maintenance. I feed and medicate the animals. This is just how things have worked out and it suits us.

Greyduster Thu 27-Sep-18 13:37:59

I do the dusting, clean and vacuum the bedrooms, clean the bathrooms, plan and cook meals, do laundry and iron. He washes the floors, cleans out the bins, empties the dishwasher, cuts the grass and the shrubs, digs where I tell him to, and drives me around, because I hate driving. We share the window cleaning. He cleans as if he were still in the Army! If he wasn’t here, the place would probably be a complete tip.

sodapop Thu 27-Sep-18 13:39:49

Are you happy with 'little Alyson' Maw I find mine so much better to use than the corded one.

Charleygirl5 Thu 27-Sep-18 13:44:24

I have a weekly cleaner- I do everything else because I live on my own.

tinaf1 Thu 27-Sep-18 13:47:25

Me!

FlexibleFriend Thu 27-Sep-18 13:55:07

I don't have a husband so I do everything but then again I did when I had a Husband and worked full time. I also do all the decorating. My son trims the hedges and trees for me and does trips to the skip etc but apart from that it's down to me.

Willow500 Thu 27-Sep-18 17:08:57

Me!

Menopaws Thu 27-Sep-18 18:08:48

I do the lot! My husband walks the dog early each day for many miles but that's it. Grateful for that but I knew my lot years ago so I'm ok with it.

Day6 Thu 27-Sep-18 18:24:28

I am very lucky. OH is aware of what needs doing in terms of overall cleanliness. He will sweep the kitchen floor, vacuum everywhere and shop and cook. I tend to be the one who does all the fussy bits, like cleaning loos properly, shining up taps, cleaning sinks, dusting and washing curtains. He just doesn't notice the detail.

I do the laundry, he does most of the gardening, We both cook and grocery shop, usually doing it together. He does the bins, I do the ironing. He tends to unload the dishwasher, a job I dislike! We both drive and we share the bills. I tend to be the one who tidies up when the place needs a tidy. I am our social secretary too and the one who prompts most outings. It's a pretty fair division of labour.

harrigran Thu 27-Sep-18 18:29:30

DH does the lot, took over when he retired. He likes to keep active.

Day6 Thu 27-Sep-18 18:31:23

Silverlining, That made me laugh. grin OH is napping as I type. He could fall asleep on a clothes line! Wish I could! When he wakes he generally feels a need to make amends for being absent (I let him wink although I never complain) - so he'll put the kettle on, or <checks watch> make us a nice G&T. grin

Situpstraight1 Thu 27-Sep-18 18:34:23

I do it all, always have and hopefully always will.
DH still works part time, but if I’m ever ill or unable to do anything he takes over, not always with successful results but, hey ho! As long as I get the odd sandwich and cup of coffee I’m fine.
However, I often send him out shopping, if only for milk, as he always comes home with bags full of goodies that he cant resist, these can include wine, chocolate, cakes, savoury goodies to save me getting a meal.
Long may it last.

kittylester Thu 27-Sep-18 18:41:25

We have a cleaner one morning a week. We have had one most of our married life and I have no intention of doing without one.

I shop and cook, do the laundry and ironing.

Dh does diy, banking and heavy gardening (under instruction)

Everything else is on an 'as and when' basis. Though I hope he notices that the inside of the windows need doing. grin

BBbevan Thu 27-Sep-18 18:51:49

Both of us, though I usually do the cooking

callgirl1 Thu 27-Sep-18 20:48:30

All by me, as daughter is disabled and can`t really do anything. My 2 other daughters tend to sort out the best value for insurance etc., and set them up for me, as I`m pretty useless at that.