Gransnet forums

House and home

Rubber oven gloves....anyone use them

(26 Posts)
bikergran Thu 25-Oct-18 15:17:59

My dd would like some oven gloves (shes fed up of using tea towels) I have a pair (the joined together type) but find them bulky and not easy to grip things with.

I tried a pair of the rubber/silicone ones in a shop and found them a bit more flexible, but yet I cant seem to get my head around that the heat wont come through and bun my hands.. hmm

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-Oct-18 15:23:37

Have used them for a while now and find them very effective and easy to clean .

felice Thu 25-Oct-18 16:02:39

I only used them once in a very posh Restaurant when doing agency work.
They were great unless they had even a tiny hole or cut in them, then they were awful. The heat came straight through and it felt as though they were melting onto my hands.
The following day I took my own oven gloves to work.

shysal Thu 25-Oct-18 16:14:30

I use a joined together silicone oven glove, and single ones are also available. Loads on Ebay. They are a bit cumbersome and slippery if you get oil on them but they absolutely don't let the heat through. I wouldn't use any other type.

kittylester Thu 25-Oct-18 16:24:31

I didn't get on with them at all. I buy mine from Lakeland - they are made of that really thick stuff (???) and brilli!ant.

They are called Jolly Molly in our house

MiniMoon Thu 25-Oct-18 16:56:32

I've got tea towels that I keep specially for taking things out of the oven. I have had several different styles of oven gloves/mitts, but I can't get away with them.

silverlining48 Thu 25-Oct-18 17:11:21

My dh uses our nice tea towels fir getting things out of the oven despite me pointing out we have 3 lots of oven gloves which work perfectly well and if they stain I don’t mind, but I do mind my tea towels being spoiled,

kittylester Thu 25-Oct-18 17:21:00

I did forget to wash my Jolly Mollies and then one DGS said 'Yuck, Ma, that's revolting!' so I'm slightly obsessive about it now.

ninathenana Thu 25-Oct-18 17:45:50

I bought a pair of the silicone joined together ones, if I do use them I don't put my hands in side I just sort of wrap them over the edge of the dish IYSWIM as I find them too bulky. I saw some today in a booklet that are a proper pair of gloves rather than mits. They seem to be a combination of the material kitty mentioned and silicone pads I might order a pair as they look less cumbersome.
I usually just grab a T-towel though.

1974cookie Thu 25-Oct-18 18:18:04

I have some Coolskin Oven Gloves from Lakeland, which have a long arm.
Not cheap to buy but my goodness, they are absolutely brilliant.
No burns with them, ever.

Fennel Thu 25-Oct-18 19:08:24

I have those dark blue and white striped ones, 2 joined together. But they do get a bit yucky (as Kitty says.)

bikergran Thu 25-Oct-18 19:43:29

ok thanks all..think I will risk some of the Rubber ones smile

Chewbacca Thu 25-Oct-18 19:47:17

I got mine from QVC. Choice of wither the gauntlet ones or the joined together ones. Wash well, excellent heat barriers and they last years and years. About £15 A pair, I think.

Willow500 Thu 25-Oct-18 19:53:19

Mine are from QVC too - work very well but not joined together.

Greyduster Thu 25-Oct-18 20:12:55

I got my son a pair of these. He says they are absolutely great. I have been using a pair of similar ones for some years and they have never let me down. I never fancied the idea of the silicone ones.

Purpledaffodil Thu 25-Oct-18 20:19:43

Got my silicone ones from Lakeland and they are good heat barriers but a bit inflexible sometimes. I like the fact they can go in the dishwasher if grubby . Do use a tea towel sometimes if the dish is small.?

LaJean Mon 08-Apr-19 13:14:11

You can see some reviews of the heat resistant gloves here: welcoming-house.com/best-oven-gloves/ Believe me, it's best to onest into rubber ones. But they also shouldn't be cheap because, as a person above said, tiny holes will create a steam effect that will burn you. So you should only buy quality ones with thick rubber.

EllanVannin Mon 08-Apr-19 13:33:26

I just put so many folds in a teatowel and it's fine. Wearing gloves for me would be a hindrance and a nuisance, job's done just as quick with a teatowel and I've never been burned yet !

Nata Thu 11-Apr-19 07:37:05

I use this kinds mitts and fine with them. No way the heat will come through them. I guess, gloves are even more comfortable and effective.

phoenix Thu 11-Apr-19 09:07:19

I rather fancy these

www.dunelm.com/product/spectrum-silicone-double-oven-glove-1000033698?searchTerm=oven%20gloves

phoenix Thu 11-Apr-19 09:08:54

They come in a range of colours, but I'm using green for a bit of colour in the "new" kitchen!

Nannytopsy Thu 11-Apr-19 09:42:47

I have a pair of the silicon oven gloves, joined together, from M&S and they are brilliant. Just put them through the wash and they have come out like new.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 28-Apr-19 12:13:56

I use thick cotton wadded pot holders in preference to oven gloves. I have tried the silicone ones, but they are too thin for handling anything that has been in the oven.

Kaggi60 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:55:36

I use rubber gloves but some fit some won't but I struggle to get them off.

phoenix Sun 28-Apr-19 14:28:27

Kaggi60 do you mean the sort of rubber gloves used when washing up?

Don't think they would be much use for getting things out of the oven!