Gransnet forums

House and home

Paint

(27 Posts)
morethan2 Wed 07-Nov-18 20:05:52

We about to start decorating and I’ve been humming and a aahing about colours and type of paint. I really like the look of one of the more expensive makes but I wonder if it’s worth the price or just stick with a run of the mill usual. Recommendations appreciated.

loopyloo Fri 16-Nov-18 12:06:02

I am repainting woodwork with white matt. Although now I think it may have been vinyl silk. I am just painting bits to slowly improve it. Can you people recommend a brand? Do you like a real matt on woodwork, what's trendy?

BBbevan Thu 08-Nov-18 17:10:13

We always use Littlegreene as we live in Wales and it is a Welsh company. Kitchen in Thai Sapphire and Deep Space Blue. Excellent colour depth and ease of application.

callgirl1 Thu 08-Nov-18 16:59:16

Do one coat emulsions really work? Or will I be as well off buying ordinary emulsion?

Greyduster Thu 08-Nov-18 11:57:49

DH has a preference for Crown paint. It’s nice to put on, covers well and wears well. Never noticed any fading, even in our last house where we used stronger colours than we do here. Dulux at a pinch, but we used Homebase paint in one of the bedrooms and it’s been very good. Limited range of colours though. I would never pay premium prices for Farrow and Ball.

maryeliza54 Thu 08-Nov-18 10:59:55

Well I’ve only used two decorators and both love FandB. Small sample but my 17 years is my real life experience and the lack of fading is the biggie for me. Anyway given my age I’m not sure I’ll be decorating again anyway - if people redecorate regularly then durability etc don’t matter as much

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Nov-18 10:37:00

We sell paint (or AC who have taken over do!!) and the majority of our decorators do not like F & B nowadays due to coverage and durability. However, at the moment we are renovating/repairing throughout our house using F & B colours mixed by Dulux Trade, best of both!!!!

Our decorators have remarked that upstairs is a bit "50 shades of grey" ???? (in colours only I hasten to add)

maryeliza54 Thu 08-Nov-18 10:22:00

No mates rates sadly but divided by 17 it’s cheap. Re getting fed up with the same colours - my house is really an art gallery and the colours of the walls enhances the art. Also because the paint doesn’t fade I can move paintings around ( which I do fairly often) without any darker areas being revealed when I take a painting down. Most of my house is now done in string which allows for a wide choice of bedding, blinds etc

Alima Thu 08-Nov-18 09:41:36

We have had no problems using Dulux paint. Out of interest I recently looked up Farrow and Ball. Blimey. How the other half live. You must need mates rates. Don’t you get fed up with the same colour walls after 17 years?

maryeliza54 Wed 07-Nov-18 23:19:02

My whole house is F and B - I second all the comments about depth of colour, durability, wearability - my dining room ( in breakfast room green and string) looks as fresh and bright as when it was painted 17 yeas ago ( as does the lliving room lulworth blue ad string also 17 years ago)

Patsy70 Wed 07-Nov-18 22:50:10

I've been very satisfied with Dulux and am not prepared to pay over the top for a designer name.

M0nica Wed 07-Nov-18 22:40:17

F&B is not good on exterior surfaces. The back of our house is a real suntrap and when we F&B paint on the outside we had to repaint the window sills every year.

Our decorator recommended the Crown Historic Collection and we found similar colours there. The Crown paint has now been on for three years and we have not had to repaint any of it - and it was hot, hot, hot -and sunny this summer.

cornergran Wed 07-Nov-18 22:32:08

A mix of F&B (for specific colours and I like the very matt finish) and Dulux Light and Space range for the darker rooms here. Both seem to wear well.

tanith Wed 07-Nov-18 22:23:20

Farrow and Ball in my house too, my painter gets it mixed at a local shop it’s excellent and cheaper.

Framilode Wed 07-Nov-18 21:56:27

If anyone is thinking of using eggshell paint for woodwork Little Greene is far more hardwearing than Farrow and Ball as it is oil based.

phoenix Wed 07-Nov-18 21:53:12

Don't get me started on paint!

We are planning to redecorate the sitting room in January, I am on my SEVENTH sample/tester pot!

Iam64 Wed 07-Nov-18 21:36:07

The man who paints our walls now I’m too beyond it to do it myself has Farrow and Ball colours mixed for us. The paint has durability built in, so can be wiped clean. It’s cheaper than true f and b but (almost) as good

MiniMoon Wed 07-Nov-18 21:04:49

Well, we've gone with Dulux. We are only painting the downstairs loo! ?

Chewbacca Wed 07-Nov-18 21:02:31

It isn't just the colour matching of the paint though, it's the quality of it and the depth if colour you achieve with additional coats. Of course you can take the F & B colour chart to B & Q and ask them to match it. They'll match the colour shade on the chart but not the paint texture or density.

PECS I love Elephant's Breath, looks great with Skimming Stone, in the bathroom!

BBbevan Wed 07-Nov-18 20:49:58

Some paint outlets will mix any colour you want. F&B or Littlegreene for a fraction of the price.

PECS Wed 07-Nov-18 20:37:13

I would probably not have paid full price for F&B for whole house! I know people who have had Homebase match and mix up F&B colours. grin

Coolgran65 Wed 07-Nov-18 20:20:56

Farrow & Ball is quite expensive paint.

If B & Q (Valspar paint) can use their computerised system to mix any colour sample I show them, is it worth paying F & B prices ?

M0nica Wed 07-Nov-18 20:20:25

I do not think it really matters. The quality of paint is generally very good in the UK, unlike in France, for example, where the range and quality of paint is nowhere as good.

I do buy Farrow and Ball paint when I cannot find the colour I want in any other range, and their colour range is their main advantage, but I have many makes of paint on the walls of my house: F&B, Dulux, Crown and own brands from Home Base, Wickes and B&Q.

PECS Wed 07-Nov-18 20:17:36

Also you can have a very hilarious time playing guess the colour with the paint names! Elephant's Breath??

Chewbacca Wed 07-Nov-18 20:14:17

F & B here too. I was converted to F & B by friends (and so also benefited from mates rates) and was well impressed by the depth of colour, durability and easy cleaning, in comparison to the other, more well known brands. I wouldn't go back to a vinyl paint now for anything.

PECS Wed 07-Nov-18 20:09:27

We have Farrow & Ball paint in our house (because of mates rates!) It does wear well and the walls can be wiped with a damp cloth if there are any marks! The decorator (mate) says it covers well!