Gransnet forums

House and home

Use old duvets for insulation?

(14 Posts)
tanith Thu 22-Nov-18 13:05:40

Just saw this article and it left me wondering whether putting an old duvet up in the loft to boost the insulation already laid would be a fire hazard? I have a couple that I was going to get rid of.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46289234

EllanVannin Thu 22-Nov-18 13:13:54

I wouldn't be able to rest Tanith. Some lofts have wiring etc and you only need the odd mouse to chew through it. No,I couldn't advise anyone doing such a thing if I couldn't/wouldn't do it myself. It's flammable material.

petra Thu 22-Nov-18 14:11:07

If in doubt I would cut a small section off and see how it burns.

silverlining48 Thu 22-Nov-18 15:15:45

There was something on r4 yesterday I think, about using old duvets as built in wall insulation in a specially built house used fir research, attached to a university. Also used rolls of wallpaper/newspaper and old carpets.....it was with a view to reducing landfill by using what we already have.

Welshwife Thu 22-Nov-18 15:45:27

DH has used old carpet in walls and newspaper to insulate pipes when behind plasterboard etc. It seems to work well.

EllanVannin Thu 22-Nov-18 16:08:19

petra probably a small piece would frizzle but a large duvet near joists could do damage.
I'd be paranoid every time I smelled burning.

Welshwife Thu 22-Nov-18 16:12:08

It would be unlikely to burn if sandwiched between walls and plasterboard. Plastic insulation will burn.

annodomini Thu 22-Nov-18 17:24:24

When I had my loft insulation boosted in my previous house, the material was advertised as a cellulose substance. When I examined the shreds that fluttered down, I realised that it was made out of recycled newspapers which is, indeed, a cellulose substance. Good recycling - about 40 years ago - and it was very effective. I hadn't thought of using old duvets as insulation, except as mattress toppers which is a means of insulation too.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 24-Nov-18 12:39:14

I personally would not use an old duvet except in a place that I walked past every day. It sounds the ideal nesting place for mice, or breeding ground for clothes moths!

If you do decide to use it, please, fire-proof it with BURN BLOCK or the equivalent first.

BlakeHoffmann Fri 22-Feb-19 08:36:17

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MawBroon Fri 22-Feb-19 08:55:47

I wonder if they would do me a home visit grin
Reported.

Teetime Fri 22-Feb-19 09:40:32

I wouldnt do it - old duvets go to the recycling plant. I strongly believe in using the right materials for the right job - I wonder what view the insurance companies would take off these unusual insulation materials.

merlotgran Fri 22-Feb-19 09:41:43

A duvet used as insulation could attract vermin. Great nesting material!!

MawBroon Fri 22-Feb-19 10:02:49

Old duvets will be received with grateful thanks at animal shelters .