Gransnet forums

House and home

Duvets v. Blankets

(74 Posts)
Stansgran Mon 26-Nov-18 12:29:30

About 12 years ago I had a foot operation. Making a king size bed with blankets took 68 steps. I countedgrin I bought a superking sized duvet and also sheet so DH could be well tucked in! Since then every day he has complained about the duvet. And I mean every day. I'm cracking. Do I revert to two wool blankets( £145 each John Lewis) and a heavy bedspread ? Or do I hope I die soon? Any way anyone can suggest a solution? I'm having a knee done very soon and just can't face the grumbling. There was a letter in the Times this morning which I had read out to me about duvet v. Blanket which has sparked this off.

Buffybee Mon 26-Nov-18 12:39:47

Stansgran! Could your Dh not help you to make the bed?
If so, you could make this a condition of reverting back to blankets.
Or, get a new husband. wink only joking of course.

Jane10 Mon 26-Nov-18 12:41:10

Luckily DH can't stand blankets! I love our duvet and we both hate it when staying in a hotel when there is a sheet as well as a duvet. I like the warmth but freedom of a duvet. I certainly couldn't have coped with heavy blankets and tucked in sheets after my knee replacements. Good luck though. Separate beds? One with blankets and one with a duvet?

glammanana Mon 26-Nov-18 12:44:35

Stansgran Have you thought of twin beds so you can both have the bedding witch suits you best x

EllanVannin Mon 26-Nov-18 12:44:39

I've never owned a duvet ( not just because the world and his dog has them ) but because I like weight which means the old Sorrento ribbon-bound blankets a merino wool throw and a feather eiderdown hahahaha.
Duvets would get on my nerves,though I would have one underneath me for extra comfort but never as a cover.

glammanana Mon 26-Nov-18 12:46:58

which sorry

MaizieD Mon 26-Nov-18 13:30:05

Yes, separate beds!

I've been sleeping under a duvet for nearly 50 years now (OMG. That long!). Love the way it effortlessly snuggles round me.

If you want extra weight you can always put a heavy blanket on top of a low tog duvet....

notanan2 Mon 26-Nov-18 14:04:42

I like both grin I have a blanket over the duvet

humptydumpty Mon 26-Nov-18 14:06:31

Agree with PP, separate beds!

BlueBelle Mon 26-Nov-18 15:24:16

Can’t remember the blanket days they are so far back duvet or in my case two duvets are fine a quick shake and they re all done Definitely seperate Beds I couldn’t go back to all the faffing

Niobe Mon 26-Nov-18 15:46:06

If he wants blankets he makes the bed. Simple, and that would end the debate in my house.

Charleygirl5 Mon 26-Nov-18 15:49:45

Jane10 I could not agree more- it was so easy to flip my duvet over after my knee replacement- I also could not have coped with sheets and blankets- being a cold morsel I dread to think how many blankets I would need as my duvet is 15 tog and in winter I put a thick bedspread over it to keep the warmth in!

My ex was the opposite, flapping the duvet because for him the bed was too warm but in those days the duvet tog was a lot less.

sodapop Mon 26-Nov-18 15:52:43

Definitely separate beds or like us separate rooms. Husband can then be responsible for making and changing his own bed.

silverlining48 Mon 26-Nov-18 16:09:13

As you have a big bed how about going continental and having two single duvets. Thats my plan anyway.

M0nica Mon 26-Nov-18 16:48:35

DD has recently converted to blankets, after being brought up with a duvet on her bed. All her (wool) blankets were bought on ebay or at charity shops. They have eiderdowns on ebay as well. She made her own bedspread to go over it all.

LullyDully Mon 26-Nov-18 17:00:26

Get him to make the bed, my DH does this all the time.

Suppose you could give him the choice of duvet or single beds.

The trouble is with two single duvets is they either fall off or get mixed up and its hard to cuddle imo.

Grammaretto Mon 26-Nov-18 17:01:12

silverlining48 you beat me to it. Scandinavians are so civilised.
However I am puzzled Stansgran that blankets and sheets take so long. Is it just walking around the bed? It takes me ages of struggling to get a double duvet cover on and there's never anyone around to help is there.

Separate beds sounds a good solution. I don't know why we share beds so much in our country. Probably due to poverty as aristocrats always had their own beds.
I had to share a bed with my sister and then with my husband!

Esspee Mon 26-Nov-18 17:01:13

If you prefer a duvet single beds is the answer. If you would be happy to sleep under blankets then tell him to buy blankets and take over bed making duties on a daily basis. It's as simple as that.

annodomini Mon 26-Nov-18 18:34:56

My first duvet was a wedding present in 1970 and I haven't looked back since. I couldn't be doing with blankets - changing the duvet cover is bad enough!

Treebee Mon 26-Nov-18 19:28:55

I read the letter in the Times and disagreed with it. He was saying that sheets and blankets fall round your body to keep you warm and duvets don’t. I find the complete opposite and love a cosy duvet.
You say you have a sheet to keep your DH tucked in- is this on top under the duvet? He might prefer the warmth of the duvet without that top sheet and give you less work.

Marmight Mon 26-Nov-18 19:34:51

As a teenager I had sheets & blankets which had to be tucked in so tight that I literally slithered in from the pillow so nothing moved grin. For the last 50 years I've had a duvet and love the freedom. I can't bear it to be tucked in, as they do in hotels. I'd never return to the former, although I do have a light fleecey rug on top on very cold nights and have taken to cuddling a hot water bottle after it has warmed up the spot where my bottom lies ?

craftergran Mon 26-Nov-18 19:45:46

duvet and flannelette covers for it, nothing cosier

B9exchange Mon 26-Nov-18 19:58:33

We struggle to get the right balance, we have a naturally very warm house so just a thin blanket over a top sheet in the summer, when it gets a bit cooler we add the padded toile bedspread on top, and when it gets really cold the pure silk duvet we got in Beijing, made entirely of silkworm cocoons pulled apart. But I need the sheet underneath any of those, otherwise you would have to wash them every week, and I hate ironing and replacing duvet covers. When we have guests they just don't seem to understand the concept, and sleep between sheet and duvet, which defeats the object!

Jane10 Mon 26-Nov-18 20:44:27

I just wash the duvet cover. Not much bother. Flannelette duvet cover is blissful in cold weather. Just a joy to snuggle down in.

sodapop Mon 26-Nov-18 21:54:44

I always have a top sheet too B9 when I get too hot this is enough to help me settle. As you say its easier to wash two sheets.