Gransnet forums

House and home

Hardwood Floors

(12 Posts)
firsttimenanna Mon 07-Jan-19 15:30:21

We have just moved into a new house with engineered oak flooring throughout the kitchen. We are thinking that some areas, such as in front of the sink, might need extra protection, perhaps from a rug. We have heard that you shouldn't use mats with rubber backing on a hardwood floor but have no real idea what might be suitable or where to get it from. Can anybody offer advice?

ninathenana Mon 07-Jan-19 15:58:34

What about a Sisal rug.

Mapleleaf Tue 08-Jan-19 16:44:38

I've got hardwood flooring in the hall and lounge, and the rugs I have down are hessian backed (hall), and strong cotton weave on the underside of the rug in the lounge if that helps?

lemongrove Tue 08-Jan-19 16:47:17

At our last house, we had turtle mats on oak floors, in the hall, and by the back door and in the kitchen, they were fine and did a great job.

jeanie99 Wed 16-Jan-19 14:18:45

Just a point to remember

If you cover engineered flooring the area under the mat will stay at the original colour and the rest will lighten.

I have engineered flooring in a number of areas in my home and this is the case.

Nelliemoser Tue 22-Jan-19 18:14:58

It looks smart but it it is hard and uncomfortable to sit on for children to play. I am thinking of my young grandsons.

Sitting on a carpeted floor is so much more comfortable, for grandma as well.

DoraMarr Tue 22-Jan-19 19:14:45

I have engineered oak floors and I love them. I have underfloor heating too. Engineered wood is hard wearing and so easy to clean. I don’t have rugs in the kitchen because it is so easy to sweep up the odd crumbs, and I spot wash any spills and vacuum and steam clean the floor every week. It was in my apartment when I moved in, so it is nine years old now and still looks lovely. I have a rug in the sitting area which is nice for the grandchildren to play on, but I love the look of the wood and don’t want to cover it up too much. I think rugs in my kitchen area would be a trip hazard, and hard to keep clean.

crystaltipps Wed 23-Jan-19 08:00:27

No to rugs in kitchen. Just mop up any spills, easy peasy.

MawBroon Wed 23-Jan-19 08:06:36

I am a believer in turtle mats at strategic points in the tiled kitchen which stop greyhounds from serious skidding and possible injury when they complete garden zoomies and head at full tilt for the warmth of indoors.
Plus they go in the washing machine and tumble dryer as well as being so thin they are not a trip hazard.

glammanana Wed 23-Jan-19 08:24:24

I don't have any mats down on my floors I prefer not to cover up the wood in my lounge & hallway,
In my kitchen at present we have tiled flooring but are taking it up and relaying with wood flooring next month to match the rest of the bungalow,again there will be no mats.

TwiceAsNice Wed 23-Jan-19 08:37:39

I have wood floor in my open plan living/dining/kitchen O live in a flat. No rugs, anything spilt in the kitchen gets mopped up. I vacumn most days and mop once a week. When the grandchildren come if they want to sit on the floor I have two quilted play mats my friend made for me for them to sit on. No need for mats, my only mat is my the front door before I walk in

jamessmith Sun 17-Mar-19 12:24:16

Always sweep or dust before you mop.Use only a dry to damp mop or cloth for best results when cleaning.Do not place electronics directly on your engineered wood floors also.