Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing machine recommendations

(32 Posts)
helena Sun 03-Feb-19 13:31:41

Well, my Zanussi washing machine has given up the ghost after just four years minimal labour!! I'm not impressed, so looking for recommendations for another machine that may last longer. I'm not bothered about an all singing, all dancing machine, as I generally only use a 40-60 degree wash for most things, plus a hot, cotton wash for towels etc.. Any tips and pointers would be appreciated. ?

dragonfly46 Sun 03-Feb-19 13:36:36

Miele - there is none better. When my Miele died after 25 years I bought an LG and regretted it ever since.

Auntieflo Sun 03-Feb-19 13:49:06

Another vote here for Miele.

EllanVannin Sun 03-Feb-19 14:02:08

My faithful old and cheap Beko ( eco friendly ) machine at 13 years old is still going strong. It doesn't matter to me about names or " state of the art " anything as they don't last any longer and this one still does the job it's supposed to do.

Prior to this I had another cheap one, an Indesit which kept going for 15 years after heavy use from the start.

Nonnie Sun 03-Feb-19 14:09:09

I'm with *Ellan cheap and cheerful. Had mine for 10 years and its going strong. Only once had an expensive one and that taught me that washing machines were washing machines. Most people only use a few programmes so why pay more for singing and dancing? One has been advertised which allows you to open the door after it has started. Why? Is anyone so desperate that missed washing can't wait until next time? I'm thinking about the odd sock I drop on my way downstairs with the pile. Why are our washing machines downstairs? Makes no sense at all, we take our clothes off upstairs, bring them down, wash them, dry them then take them back upstairs.

SueDonim Sun 03-Feb-19 14:17:23

Nonnie I don't take my clothes off upstairs and take them downstairs to wash - I live in an upside-down house! grin

I have Bosch washing machine, condenser tumble drier and dishwasher and have been very happy with them all. I don't choose the fancy-pants ones, though a higher spin speed on the WM is worth looking out for.

Greenfinch Sun 03-Feb-19 14:24:38

I go with Beko as well. I have recently bought my second one(bottom of the range) and am delighted with its economy cycle which only takes 35 minutes and is adequate for most things.I generally choose the slowest spin which saves electricity.

Jessity Sun 03-Feb-19 14:46:14

Another vote for Miele.

Patsy70 Sun 03-Feb-19 14:54:49

I recommend Bosch, always completely satisfied with these products. Everything is Bosch in my kitchen and utility room.

phoenix Sun 03-Feb-19 15:07:06

Having used middle in a place I was renting, I must say I would recommend them. However, as when we bought out house the budget wouldn't stretch to one, I bought a Hotpoint washer/dryer in 2005.

Had to have the chap out for a broken door handle/catch a couple of times,(we are very lucky to have the wonderful "Appliance John", flat rate of £45 plus parts, for any job, no matter how long it takes, i.e it's £45 in total, NOT £45 per hour!) but otherwise the machine is still going strong.

phoenix Sun 03-Feb-19 15:08:39

Miele, not middle!

M0nica Sun 03-Feb-19 16:06:25

I had two cheaper machines in quick succession. The second, a Hotpoint that shed part of the drum and ripped a whole load of washing to pieces. I cannot remember what the other one was.

After that DH, an Chartered Engineer, insisted I only had one from a country whose engineering he trusted and that meant Germany or South Korea. I ended up with a Samsung, mainly because the drum is made in one piece and covered in silicone so that a Hotpoint type disaster is impossible.

The added advantage is that when it is finished it fills the time gap between finishing and the door unlocking with a short burst of Schubert's song; 'The Trout'

Nonnie Sun 03-Feb-19 16:20:20

SueDonin if ever I were lucky enough to design my own house I would have the washing machine in its own room *upstairs". Of course we could move to a bungalow!

helena Sun 03-Feb-19 19:12:50

Thank you for your input ladies. It's been a big help ?

barbaraellen Mon 04-Feb-19 16:11:52

Miele washing machine and tumble dryer still gong strong after about 16 years. Plus regular offers give 10 year guarantee.

Charleygirl5 Mon 04-Feb-19 16:32:38

Be careful, some machines take forever to do a normal load so you could easily spend the entire day doing zilch else.

dragonfly46 Mon 04-Feb-19 16:54:10

The joy of Miele is that it has separate switches not programmes so you can just wash or just spin or use the pump.

Farmor15 Mon 04-Feb-19 17:05:52

Miele recommended by me too. First and second (not Miele) lasted 10 and 6 years, Miele about 17 years so far.

J52 Mon 04-Feb-19 17:21:36

My Bosch lasted years, it was MILs for 10 yrs, sat in our garage for 2 years and then did 8 years with us. We only got rid of it because we moved house.
We now have an AEG, it washes very well, has a 1400 spin and all the programmmes have a quick mode that halves the time.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 04-Feb-19 18:13:34

My Bosch has a 1400 spin, which is very useful at this time of year if the washing can't go out. It's only 2 years old but I am very happy with it.

Kittye Mon 04-Feb-19 18:13:42

I bought my Miele 7 years ago with 10 year guarantee. Good service til 2 weeks ago when it stopped with a bang! Tried to book engineer online without success. After waiting 30 mins for someone to answer the phone at call centre we finally got to speak to someone and have engineer calling tomorrow. Just hoping he has spare part and we don’t have to wait another couple of weeks. It’s been a nightmare not having a washer.
I did say that when I replace my washer and dishwasher also Miele, that I would go back to Bosch.

morethan2 Mon 04-Feb-19 19:07:18

My Siemens washing machine has been housed in my cold garage and given me 16 years of trouble free service. I’d have no hesitation in recommending.

rascal Mon 04-Feb-19 19:09:41

Definitely Miele.

Grammaretto Mon 04-Feb-19 19:50:12

Another vote for Beko. Though Miele may be the best it's out of our price range

Beau Mon 04-Feb-19 20:53:04

I think you were unlucky helena - I am on my third Zanussi and would not change. My first lasted 20 years and I still have my others in 2 properties - 1 is 3 years old and 1 is brand new. They are both washer driers but I was told by someone in the trade to stick with the 'expensive' Zanussi models as they now made a couple of cheap machines to compete with Beko - they are not very good apparently.