Gransnet forums

House and home

Aylesbury area?

(9 Posts)
evianers Sun 10-Feb-19 12:13:10

Long shot this perhaps but we are thinking - only thinking mind you, of relocating back to the UK after an absence of 43 years. This will be a huge decision for us both. Our children live in Rickmansworth, and having seen a rather lovely townhouse in Aylesbury [2.5 kms north of the town] we are wondering whether there are any GN's who live in this area and could give us an unbiased opinion [good or bad please].
Thank you in advance for all advice, as we have not yet mentioned this to the children, not wanting to put their hopes of a relocation up [or otherwise of course]!!!

Framilode Sun 10-Feb-19 12:41:30

Our children also live near Rickmansworth and we travel through Aylesbury every week taking one of our grandchildren home from boarding school in Oxfordshire.

I am not impressed with Aylesbury as a town but there are a lot of nice areas surrounding it. Aylesbury itself seems a bit run down.

withany Wed 13-Feb-19 17:30:20

Hi,
I was born in Aylesbury in the 50s a lovely little market town, I lived there untill 1998 but still have family and friends there.
Aylesbury is the only town with a ring road running through it! it has become very large and sprawling with huge estates being built on all sides. I don't think the infrastructure has been adjusted to cope with the influx of people.
It is about 56 minutes by train to London so in the commuter belt.
It has in my opinion become unrecognisable from the place I was born, there is now a very large Asian population, it was so odd seeing ladies in burkas at the top of Aylesbury High Street the last time I was there about 3 years ago. 250,000 homes were due to be built which means some of the little villages could be swallowed up.
Although I still think of Aylesbury as home, I don't think I would move back it is far too big for me now.
I hope my comments will help, I wish you luck in finding your new home.
Withany

evianers Fri 15-Feb-19 19:49:32

Thank you so much for your comments. You have confirmed our worst fears as we have now heard from other kindly folks that Aylesbury is not what it once was[but then, where is]?
We are now looking at Wendover but keep upping our price and still cannot find what we would consider the norm hear. E.g. it seems that underfloor heating is an out and out luxury, whereas here it is usual. As is "ensuite". Our current house has a normal sized bath, vanity unit with two wash hand basins, shower and loo and that's just our ensuite - another bedroom on another floor. Oh dear. What with that and the NHS, it seems that our family will have to do without us. So depressing. We have tried to stay positive regarding the move, but are finding it more and more difficult. Thank you to those kind people who took the trouble to respond.

B9exchange Sat 16-Feb-19 00:14:05

Tring is lovely, have you considered that, or for a more villagey feel, somewhere like Sarratt? Don't get disheartened, there are some lovely houses in lovely areas. Don't know what your budget is, but of course the Chalfonts have stunning properties with everything you could wish for. Why not sign up with a few estate agents in different areas to get a better feel?

evianers Mon 18-Feb-19 14:57:10

We have indeed signed up with a couple of estate agents. One of them cannot be bothered to respond to our enquiries but we have almost decided to leave the proposed move until after Brexit when [hopefully]???? we shall know how we stand here in France, although at the moment the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.....

Framilode Mon 18-Feb-19 15:39:07

B9exchange. Sarratt is very expensive compared to the Aylesbury area. My daughter lives in Chandlers Cross and we were looking round there to start with, but just too expensive.

We have ended up living in rural Oxfordshire, between Oxford and Banbury a couple of villages away from Soho Farmhouse. It is only just over an hour to Rickmansworth. Still fairly pricey but nothing like the Rickmansworth area.

Dana6789 Wed 20-Feb-19 22:01:33

Having been brought up in Aylesbury in the 50s and 60 s I remember the old town well. These days when I go there I just feel sad . It has been ruined by over development - lovely old buildings replaced by ugly characterless ones. Yes it has a big Tesco Morrison's Waitrose and a theatre but it has lost so much more. It's soulless. I would go to Wendover / Stoke Mandeville or Stone/ Thame the other direction. Actually there are lots of lovely places nearby.

lemongrove Wed 20-Feb-19 22:10:35

Wallingford, Henley area is lovely.