Gransnet forums

House and home

Kitchen re-fit - decisions!!!!

(36 Posts)
tryingtobetrendy Sun 03-Mar-19 11:44:36

Need some impartial advice please.
Refitting kitchen and am currently choosing doors!!
I am drawn to gloss finish which look clean and simple. However family are advising against gloss finish as it constantly needs cleaning.
Any advice welcome pleeese

Countrylife Mon 22-Apr-19 08:26:09

Have a thread on here about my New Kitchen and a lot of people advised if going for gloss doors, the darker the colour the more the finger marks show. Hope it turns out well.

summermarine Mon 15-Apr-19 05:59:24

Since you have issues with scratches easily showing, why not opt for matt finish worktop. It has that understated feel but can also have the glossy effect of gloss type through color choice. Also, with regards to cleaning, the matt finish can stay cleaner longer than a gloss type.

Chewbacca Sat 13-Apr-19 08:42:33

Reported

Joness777 Sat 13-Apr-19 08:11:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Willow500 Sat 06-Apr-19 06:44:21

I'm lucky enough to have 2 kitchens (2nd home) so have the best of both worlds. The one at home is cream gloss plain doors installed 2 years ago and very easy to keep clean - I washed them all down the other day with diluted fabric conditioner (tip aka Mrs Hinch smile ) so they not only look nice they smell wonderful. The other one is a cream shaker style put in last year and is equally lovely - as we're not there on a permanent basis it doesn't get a lot of wear but it is very easy to wipe down.

My worktops are gold glitter and mixed wood effect laminates - the former is wearing well although I have clear glass boards on it for the kettle and cutting. The wood effect has the same for splash backs. I love them both.

Just trawl through the kitchen showrooms and go with what you like best.

jeanie99 Fri 05-Apr-19 22:59:03

What I would say is DO NOT have a high gloss worktop in the kitchen.
Our kitchen had one and it shows every scratch, terrible.
I have high gloss doors in the bathroom and shower room with chrome handles and they do look good.
You just need to wet wipe down and buff up with a dry cloth. I use an old terry tea towel and they look as good as new.
If you like the modern look which the high gloss finish gives you go for it but I would recommend a matt worktop.
High gloss in floor tiles is the same they look great when clean but you have to keep on top of the cleaning.
Gloss engineered wood is similar I wish I had bought a matt finish for the diner like I have in the hall.
You live and learn.

craftyone Thu 04-Apr-19 10:53:35

oh no , me neither with a ledge. The last kitchen had painted wooden doors with a ledge. I hated them, hated the constant cleaning. The ones here now have a sheen and nothing sticks, the bottom has a nice slope not a ledge and stays very clean. I will be very sad to leave it, I hope my new kitchen does not have ledges, never thought to look that closely

craftyone Thu 04-Apr-19 10:50:51

Mine is shaker style too and with a dark granite top and lots of pan drawers. Looks very stylish and will never date. High gloss will date, like greys and perhaps will yellow with light in time

Gonegirl Thu 04-Apr-19 10:42:10

Well I had a painted matt finish. Awful! The ones under the sink are cracking along the bottom "ledge" (Shaker style). I suppose water must drip onto them butI never realise it at the time.And I have to keep going round with a stiff brush because dirt collects along the same ridge.

Don't know what I'd choose if I have it done again. Gloss seems to be out according to posts here. Would definitely not have a style with a ledge along the bottom.

craftyone Thu 04-Apr-19 10:35:12

I have acrylic dippedneutral cream doors and 5 years on they still look immaculate and require the most minimal of wiping. Tbh I hate those glossy doors, dd has them and they show every mark

GrandmaMoira Thu 04-Apr-19 09:50:18

My cream high gloss kitchen installed four years ago did not show any marks. I deliberately chose a plain door front as I think the grooves on shaker style and other panelled doors attract grease and dust. I have a matt finish cream shaker style in my new house and it is difficult to clean the panels.

summermarine Thu 04-Apr-19 07:49:50

Almost every worktop requires cleaning after use still, a granite one would be a possible choice as from personal experience it is easier to clean. Just be sure to choose the right color.

Annapops Sun 03-Mar-19 19:53:58

I absolutely love my new cream shaker style kitchen. There were lots of glossy ones in the showroom which I didn't particularly like.
My kitchen looks so bright and cheerful with light oak work tops and is very much in keeping with the age and design of the house.

KatyK Sun 03-Mar-19 19:37:21

Ours is black and white. White gloss doors and black worktops with little sparkles, black floor and cooker hood. I can't say the gloss needs constant cleaning. It's the first new kitchen I've ever had and I'm chuffed to bits with it, tiny though it is.

Fennel Sun 03-Mar-19 16:20:22

Ours are a sort of matt wood finish. The kitchen units, tiles etc were there when we bought the place last year, and we liked it.
We've changed the worktops which were wood effect, and quite worn, to a sort of shiny marble. It was expensive, but hard wearing, I hope.

Brunette10 Sun 03-Mar-19 16:16:00

I have an ivory coloured handleless gloss kitchen. It does take looking after however it also only takes around 10 minutes to keep it looking good if you are in that mindset. My kitchen is fairly big but a run about with a damp cloth then polished up with a vileda cloth and it comes up a treat and looks very good. If you want anything to look good at all times it takes a bit of effort but def worth it I would say. Good luck!.

lemongrove Sun 03-Mar-19 16:11:49

I have cream Shaker style kitchen, not glossy, it never seems to attract marks and is easy to clean, but DD has white high gloss in her kitchen and that also is easy to clean and doesn’t show marks.So I think that you should go for whatever you like as long as it’s light in colour.

dragonfly46 Sun 03-Mar-19 15:24:21

All my cupboards have drawers in them - so much easier to find things.

Cherrytree59 Sun 03-Mar-19 15:13:06

We had gloss fronts when we put a new kitchen in 3 years ago and I find them very easy to keep clean even with looking after toddler DGC .

However I did replace a whole drawer front section last year due to one drawer that had been chipped on the inside at the top.
(Obviously done by Mr Nobody).
Possibly knocked by a tin can.
Fortunately the kitchen was still in stock and the kitchen fitter was still available.

Unfortunatly I had to buy 3 drawer fronts (not sold separately).

So I would say that wood is more robust and at a later date there is of course the option of painting it.

All that said 3 years on and I'm still happy with my kitchen.
I have embraced Pan Drawers instead of cupboards.
(Imho) much easier to find things and to keep clean and orderly and no longer down on my knees seaching at the back of dark corner units for backing tins etc.
Now all neatly stacked and easy to find.?

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Mar-19 15:03:39

We have fitted cupboards in the bathroom and they are a high gloss - and easy to keep clean.

Our kitchen does need doing so I'm finding this thread interesting as I wasn't sure about gloss for the larger expanse of cupboards in the kitchen. It sounds quite futuristic to me and our house, although not old, is more traditional.

dragonfly46 Sun 03-Mar-19 14:50:18

I have grey gloss cupboard doors and white gloss doors with a white and grey fleck marble top. I don't find it shows any more marks than anything else and it is easy to wipe down.

paddyann Sun 03-Mar-19 14:42:46

I currently have a french navy high gloss kitchen and I really love it ,Glass cleaner keeps it sparkling and its not difficult to clean.When we moved into this house there was a wood kitchen with pannelled doors and they were anightmare to keep clean and dust free .I 'd never go back to that style .

Greyduster Sun 03-Mar-19 14:41:17

Nanabilly we flirted with the idea of aubergine when we were looking for ours, and then went just for cream. Glad we did now. Apart from anything else, unless you have a large kitchen, which it sounds like you have, dark colours close the space down.

Nanabilly Sun 03-Mar-19 14:29:00

I have an aubergine coloured gloss doors and cream gloss through the dining room side of the huge island ..The cream colour gloss is always spotless but the aubergine is always showing marks . If I clean it then it's fab until someone goes near it and any form of liquid see.s to dive towards the doors... I'm sure it jumps out of the cup of bowl just about to go in o near the sink. Easy to clean but dark colour needs it more often.

ayokunmi1 Sun 03-Mar-19 14:07:39

We have a gloss kitchen and no marks but i just went back to look
We havent removed the protective film no one had noticed lol