Gransnet forums

House and home

Daughters wedding

(57 Posts)
sanders Sat 09-Mar-19 17:19:12

Hi, my daughter is getting married in 2 months and i can't find a suitable dress to wear. I'm a size 18 and like a dress with sleeves. Any ideas of where i can find a nice dress please.

muffinthemoo Sat 09-Mar-19 17:25:23

Depends on your age/budget.

If you're looking for a 'classic' mother of the bride style outfit, Jacques Vert is always very good with a very wide range of sizes, and you can have a good browse online. This will set you back a couple of hundred quid though, but you will get a matching hat in the range. There are huge markdowns in their sale online and in store, too.

The big department stores like Debenhams and John Lewis both have very good sales online/in store with a wide range of brands, and a number of brands that cater to the ladies formalwear market.

The spring sales are starting/have just begun in most places, so this is a good time to go hunting around and see what's available and if there's anything you like.

If you're thinking of ordering from the big Chinese dropshipping sites (Shein etc) I would urge you to order in lots and lots of time as some items are really quite different to the promo shots. On the other hand they are also consequently drastically cheaper.

Good hunting!

J52 Sat 09-Mar-19 17:43:09

I’d pop off to JL or Debenhams, they both have personal shoppers to help you.
A friend of mine, who had a similar problem ended up with two fabulous outfits. One for the DD’s wedding and one for her niece’s wedding.

BradfordLass72 Sat 09-Mar-19 21:03:19

Try "Full Beauty" - it's a US company but they have a HUGE range of clothing and a Special Occasion section.

I also bought a lovely, embroidered eau de nil dress for a wedding from Holy Clothing - some of it is boho or renaissance but I chose a design which just looked classic - and they are happy to make up a specific colour, size or design for customers.

BradfordLass72 Sat 09-Mar-19 21:08:55

Also had some lovely things from 'Yours' a UK company.
www.yoursclothing.com

Nanah67 Sat 09-Mar-19 22:45:42

Tried everything and ended up with a custom made from a local dressmaker..did not cost a lot but individual.

Alwaysaworrier Sat 09-Mar-19 22:59:18

Try Bombshell dresses
www.bombshellhq.com/

Granny23 Sat 09-Mar-19 23:05:26

Or try the Thrift Shops which are usually full of once worn MOB outfits.

Beechnut Sun 10-Mar-19 06:52:10

I went down the dressmaking route and made my own. Decided what style I would like, found a pattern and ordered sample of fabric then the whole lot online and bought a matching jacket. Happy MoB.

Oldandverygrey Sun 10-Mar-19 07:10:23

Not knowing your budget may I suggest Bon Marche, new stock just in.

harrigran Sun 10-Mar-19 10:32:40

Jacques Vert went into administration last year and concessions were closed, great pity as I did have some nice outfits from them.

reetag2 Sun 10-Mar-19 22:38:27

Try JDWilliams....got a lovely dress for wedding recently....

NotSpaghetti Sun 10-Mar-19 23:30:15

You could try Chesca or Ann Balon
Depends on budget but you will find both barely worn on eBay
chescadirect.co.uk/
www.annbalon.com/
I have a jacket with my Ann Balon. My Chesca has sleeves.

Cherrytree59 Sun 10-Mar-19 23:39:09

A word of warning 're the Chinese sites such as Shein, please check out the reviews first.
They certainly put me off!
Sad as the clothes on their website look lovely

BradfordLass72 Mon 11-Mar-19 00:17:03

Cherrytree59 I agree.

I have a friend who sent for what was described as XL (she's a size 16) and the dress, though lovely was Size 10 at most.

The reviews often say that what is XL or 2XL in European sizes, is about 10 or 12 in China.

Sometimes I've tried on clothing here which has simply been sized up, with sleeves which literally come to below the knee!

GrandmainOz Mon 11-Mar-19 00:23:05

Boden do some lovely dresses/coats, many go up to size 18. Shoes and handbags too, although not sure about hats. I find their stuff well cut for my shape

paddyann Mon 11-Mar-19 01:20:56

try QVC online ,they have loads of fresses with sleeves and you can get them home an dtry them with different jackets/hats etc and send them back if they dont suit.You get 30 days to decide

BlueBelle Mon 11-Mar-19 07:24:52

Cherrytree and Bradfordlass I have bought off them very recently and I m a 14 could be a 16 in some makes and their Xl which says 14/16 is a perfect fit
Beautiful material and very well made I was really pleased and lovely ‘different’ patterns

Coconut Mon 11-Mar-19 11:32:10

I’ve just bought a beautiful dress for my sons wedding in August, from the Gina Bacconi range, lovely styles on their website.

sazz1 Mon 11-Mar-19 11:39:34

Try eBay as lots of people sell on posh clothes after the event xx

opalyo Mon 11-Mar-19 11:44:02

I am plus size [very] and I think that Ulla Popkin, Marisota and Bon prix are all worth a look. Hope you find something wonderful.smile

jenni123 Mon 11-Mar-19 11:46:08

Did you know that eBay has a section of mother of the Bride clothing, most worn once and some very nice. worth a look.

madmum38 Mon 11-Mar-19 11:54:58

May sound bad but I got a lovely trouser suit (don’t wear anything that shows my knee) from eBay and a nice small hat as well. Lots of it on there is brand new and a good range of prices, very useful if the budget is tight.
Hope you enjoy the wedding

Niucla97 Mon 11-Mar-19 11:56:09

Do you know a dressmaker. A friend of mine was mother of the groom last year. She found a lovely dress but her son said you not coming to my wedding in that you look as if you're wearing the curtains!! Totally untrue!

She found a local dressmaker who supplied samples and gave advice. She made her a lovely plain dress with a three quarter sleeve short jacket.

Enjoy - the day passes so quickly

Fronkydonky Mon 11-Mar-19 11:59:30

My friend buys special occasion dresses from Bombshell, because she had a recommendation from her cousin who is a size 18. They’re extremely flattering for curvier figures and very beautifully made. I would not hesitate to look on eBay either because I know a woman who paid about £1,000 for her suit, hat and shoes for her daughter’s special wedding in a castle and she’s never worn it since. You would possibly find a terrific buy there for a fraction of the original cost. Hope everything goes well for you all in the big day.