Gransnet forums

House and home

Help, calm me. House buying and selling stress

(1001 Posts)
craftyone Thu 21-Mar-19 07:52:20

I have a bad stress headache today, never normally get headaches. I am buying a new house before selling my own, at least that was the plan. There has been a buying hold up, caused by waiting for sight of an important document. All in all 3 months has turned to 8 months. Just waiting for one document, which was `in the post` to nhbc

My buyer, february viewings, is starting to lay on the pressure. I had 25 extra and difficult questions to answer yesterday, some relating to building planning dating back to 6 years before we moved in, a new build.

The whole idea was that I would complete on my new home and move in stress-free, a bit at a time. I will definitely not move to rented. I had a string of people wanting to buy my property and will delay my buyer if needed

The stress is awful, widowed, doing it all myself and even with a good solicitor, I am churning up inside after yesterday`s questions

Franbern Fri 19-Jul-19 11:59:19

So that is it!!!Actually had Pickford Rep here giving me a quote for removal, when my E.Agent comes round to give me the devastating news that the purchasers have, for some reason, just pulled out.
Back to square one.......house back on market. Just feel that I have been kicked by a mule at present, cannot believe it has happened, even though I did keep saying nothing is really definite until exchange.
Just cannot really think at present. EA have put the house back on the market and expect viewings tomorrow, not sure if i can cope with starting yet again!!

Greta8 Fri 19-Jul-19 12:19:19

Sorry to hear that Franbern - did the estate agent tell you why they decided to pull out? So devastating - it's such a dreadful process. Try and keep going though, it only takes one buyer in the end.

Whiff Fri 19-Jul-19 13:37:55

Franbern. I am sorry this happened to you. I've had this done to me twice. What is so annoying is that they don't have to give a reason. First time it happened I accept the offer in June 2018 she pulled out in September. Next offer accepted October 2018 she pulled out end February. Accepted the current offer March. I am still waiting for exchange and completion. If they pull out this time I am selling to one of those house buying sites. I can't take this uncertainty anymore.
A man my brother works with had this done 4 times . The laws need to change to protect both buyers and sellers from this happening.
My friend and her husband brought a house in France they had a 2 week cooling offer period after their offer was accepted and then that was it . Everything was completed in 6 weeks. We need Scottish law.

mosaicwarts Fri 19-Jul-19 14:12:45

Franbern, I am so, so sorry to hear this, what a shock. What dreadful people, they need at least a week to reflect on their appalling behaviour in the village stocks in the worst winter conditions sad

If you give me the on-line link to your house I'll advertise it for you on my Facebook page. I don't think I'm going to survive this process, it's brutal isn't it.

craftyone Fri 19-Jul-19 14:24:53

oh no no no, Franbern, this is the most dreadful news. There has to be a campaigning group somewhere, this buying and selling system is so wrong here. My sisters in aus were done and dusted in 6 weeks because they were tied in quickly. They could not understand the stress that accompanies house transactions here, their only stress was on moving day. They each had their house staged by a professional company and they sold extremely quickly.

No wonder that people stay put in houses that would well suit a family, there are no incentives, only stress and heartache

craftyone Fri 19-Jul-19 14:29:35

The reviews are good tbh, I never expected that

uk.trustpilot.com/review/webuyanyhouse.co.uk

I truly feel that I would have gone down that route, I was reaching the end of my tether and you don`t have all the time in the world when you get older

craftyone Fri 19-Jul-19 14:35:38

omg, take no notice of that link. They are tied in with estate agents and you still have to go through the selling process and they do not `buy` all houses. It seems to be a bit of a con, once I read the worst reviews. Seems to me that the only sure way to sell quickly is via auction, when it really is done and dusted

Sussexborn Fri 19-Jul-19 15:09:23

Our neighbours moved back to Scotland and were caught in a different trap. They put in an offer for a property and the vendor kept them hanging for months so they were totally stuck. There are flaws in every system and some people with no scruples will use them.

People who pull out for no good reason should be made responsible for the fees/expenses paid out by the people they have let down all the way down (and up) the chain.

Whiff Fri 19-Jul-19 17:04:12

This isn't about houses but has this happened to anyone else. My nephew and 2 nieces nan died and the funeral was today . I was going to support them as their aunt. I sent them a sympathy card. Their mother my EX sister in law had a tantrum saying it should have been for her. Not them. My nephew phoned his dad my brother to ask me not to go. I always loathed my EX sister in law from the moment my brother introduced us. She is 54 and always been what I call a woman child.
What has really annoyed me only my brother was their for them from our side of the family.
Makes a change from me moaning about selling my house.
Hope you all have a good weekend.

Franbern Fri 19-Jul-19 17:59:29

I am finding it hard to get my head around this. I share ownership of this house with my ex-husband. I went to him to tell him what happened. I was reeling, totally in shock. EA has already set up some more viewings, but i am not sure if I can cope with starting again. have decided to give it end of August, and if nothing definite will stop the whole thing. Will have to pay Solicitors bills, but I have always been rather ambivalent about this move, it was ex- hubbie who want to get the cash from his share of the price. Explained to him that it may not happen, as I just cannot put myself through this sort of stress yet again.
Those organsisations that offer to 'by any house; do so with about 15% of whatever price it is being advertised at. I am totally unable to take this sort low price as I only get half of it and would not be able to do this and have enough to purchase a flat.

Whiff Fri 19-Jul-19 18:22:01

Oh Franbern I am sorry for all your worries. I need the sale of my house to go through as I wouldn't be having a mortgage. Since my husband died the house has been wholly mine. I don't work due to illness but don't get any benefits or any monies from anywhere. I have money which my husband and mom left me. It will last until I get my pension in 5 years. But I have to be careful. That is why the maximum I could spend on a bungalow is £220,00.
I am sorry you are getting stress from all quarters.

Niobe Fri 19-Jul-19 18:43:41

Franbern, I am so sorry to hear that your buyers are pulling out. When I got home yesterday from our meet-up I saw on the news that house prices are falling and it did cross my mind that some people might think about pulling out of house buying to see if they fall further but not for a moment did I think that your buyers might do that . Once again, so sorry. flowers

Niobe Fri 19-Jul-19 18:46:14

Ps Franbern tell your ex to pay his share of the solicitor's bill. It's the least he can do!

loopyloo Fri 19-Jul-19 19:04:44

So sorry to hear this news. Franbern. Hope the viewings go well.

boho43 Fri 19-Jul-19 21:48:35

Franbern. What horrible news for you . There should be huge penalties for people pulling out of their agreement in this house selling lark. It is a nightmare, & you have my sympathy. I was feeling so relieved this afternoon, as we actually exchanged contracts today, but on just reading your news has made me feel so sad for you. Try to have the strength to keep going, if that is what you want.

mosaicwarts Fri 19-Jul-19 23:18:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Franbern Sat 20-Jul-19 09:30:08

I am feeling much better this morning. I am usually a very optimistic type of person, I would not even have had my house on the market now if it had not been for my ex wanting to get some money. Indeed, I had arranged to have a stair lift put in when he stated to get heavy about this, and I managed to get that cancelled very much at the last minute.
He is disabled and says he has no money, however, I will insist that he is responsible for half of the sale solicitors fees. I will have to cover those costs for my proposed purchase.
As I always have the ability to convince myself that things happen for the best, I had noticed some other flats up for sale in my price range in WsM, which would actually be better for me. So, will see what happens, I have informed the EA this morning for the flat I had been well on the way towards purchasing that i will have to withdraw and allow them to re-market it in all fairness.
A lady who wanted to buy this house originally, and then had to withdraw when her purchasers pulled out, has been informed and is excited that she has a second chance. Indeed, she has even agreed to reduce the price she is asking for her big house in order to see if things can get moving - but who knows!!!
Not sure if i care much any more, at least I have had a real big sort out and got rid of loads and loads of stuff I obviously did not need.
Foolishly, I tried to be optimistic and actually order an furniture item for my new bedroom. As I have been very busy, I have not had the chance to unpack this, so yesterday arranged with Amazon to take it back!!!!!

Whiff Sat 20-Jul-19 10:09:53

Franbern. When the first one pulled out on me it made me ill. Once I was better I began to look on the bright side. Attic and shed empty. Only things in garage going with me. All excess furniture gone . Things I didn't need also gone along with many trips to the tip via various members of the family for the rubbish. Then I got angry. The second time I was upset for a few hours then I got angry. I wasn't going to worry my family by letting it get to me. It's not easy by any means. If you keep on getting knocks it wears you down. And everyone has their breaking point.
Even though ,you sound down you seem to be looking on the bright side that you have got rid of a lot of stuff you don't need.
Hopefully that lady will buy your house. Fingers and toes crossed for you.
Boho43 congratulations on exchanging contracts. At least now no one can back out now.
Hope everyone has a good weekend.

mosaicwarts Sat 20-Jul-19 12:37:37

Glad you are feeling better today Franbern. I saw an advert for 'Key Equity Release' last night and am going to google it later. I am going to have to start spending the big bucks sadly - the landing window is really, really bad and I'm annoyed that a 'viewer' has pulled at the broken sash sad I wish the EA would keep a closer eye on them. Some time ago I was cleaning in the ground floor annexe and to my dismay found someone had actually left the sash window unlocked. I never open them, so don't normally check. How very dare they! Ha ha god knows what they get up to when the EA's back is turned.

I have spent the morning listing all the areas I need to continue decluttering and have filled a page of my notebook! So bored by it all. Not going to look at the photo boxes again, that stopped me for days. I'm listing old toys on ebay today, as well as collecting for a car boot sale but this rain is very off putting. If anyone else is doing a car boot with iffy weather, best thing I've found is a textile shower curtain to throw over it all. Nothing more horrible than wet junk!

Off to give Shelby the interactive furby toy a good scrub, he's been through the wars but might attract a fiver!

Have a good weekend everyone smile

Grammaretto Sat 20-Jul-19 13:01:42

I'm back on this thread to tell you all how much I admire you, and also to remind myself that downsizing would be no doddle!
Well done Franbern for staying so optimistic. I'm sure it's infectious.
We are in Scotland and I've always smugly thought it easier to buy and sell houses here because once you make an offer, it's binding. However I guess things are changing and there are loopholes which make it difficult to police.

All I know is the house we are in now was empty for 5 years before we bought it and although looked at by everyone in the town, no-one but us made an offer. Doesn't bode well if we ever want to sell does it.
That was a long time ago though so maybe things have changed. I'll need to get you here Franbern to help me see the positive.

Whiff Sat 20-Jul-19 16:33:37

Mosaicwarts. May I suggest that you show your viewers around yourself. I know is stressful but you have control on what people do in your home. Like my no shoes past the porch rule. Because I am here no one has abused my home. I would not tolerate people unlocking my Windows peering in cupboards etc. Your home your rules. Not easy but we all have standards. I treat people how I want to be treated. If they are nasty then they get treated the same way.
I looked into equity realise won't touch it with a barge pole.

HildaW Sat 20-Jul-19 17:06:33

I sort of disagree a little with the 'my home my rules' point of view when it comes to house viewing. Its not a social occasion its a potential sale so people do need to feel they can look where a normal visitor would not. You are not meeting new friends.....you just want them to hand over the money a go.....so to be honest you do have to brace yourself a bit. Hopefully they would be polite and ask first but with viewing I do feel you need to step back a bit emotionally and not see it as your home so much as potentially 'their' home. The person who bought our house brought his parents with him and we did feel a bit invaded but who cares, he bought the damn place! I certainly never asked anyone to take of shoes either.

mosaicwarts Sat 20-Jul-19 18:42:35

Thanks for the kindly suggestion Whiff but on all four occasions I did show people round I gabbled, plus I felt like crying when I mentioned my husband sad I'm not that impressed with the EA, it's only week five and yet again I've had to ask for my RightMove figures.

I've been messing about on ebay nearly all day and you'll know how bad this is Whiff .... watched Location Location Location with a whole bag of peanut M&M's! I absolutely love them and they are on offer at the moment at 50 p a bag, think I've eaten three this week. Never fear though the threat of diabetes is always in my mind, I do have such a very sweet tooth.

I fixed the scales today and weigh 70.5 kilos - not as bad as I thought. Joining the 5.30 pm slimming world class on Monday night smile The only thing I seem to look forward to is sweets and a few programmes - Killing Eve tonight, but I've gone off it, it seems too far fetched to me now. Lost the plot as they say!

craftyone Sat 20-Jul-19 18:55:20

I never asked people to take shoes off and I knew that any sensible purchaser would look into fixed cupboards and white good f they were being left. I just had to grit my teeth and made sure I hid anything which was small and of any value. At one point there were 5 adult viewers on a second visit, that viewer bought my house. A separation starts to happen when deciding to sell and that certainly helped me to become more objective and not possessive. I hated the whole process but becoming detached helped me

I don`t know much about equity release, only what I know about an in law of mine. They took out equity release years ago and now they are elderly they want to move from their 4 bed house, they are completely trapped. The loan which was equity release has grown and grown through mounting interest rates, they have very little actual equity left in their home and for what? a patio, a holiday and new windows

Whiff Sat 20-Jul-19 20:36:49

I know I my seem strange having rules when showing my house I want to sell. But I am not sentimental about bricks and mortar. I will take my memories with me. What I have learnt throughout my viewing is the people looking round may house can see that because of no shoes, even though my carpets and flooring are 20+ years old they are all in good condition. It may seem petty to some of you. But where do you draw the line. Until the day of completion this is still my home.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion