Gransnet forums

House and home

Does anyone have plantation shutters? What are they really like

(36 Posts)
craftyone Sun 07-Apr-19 19:27:29

I am thinking ahead to window dressings, new build home. I want easy care going forward and enough light and insulation. Plantation shutters are in my mind, white but not bright white, tier on tier for the bigger front windows that would not be completely private. Just the front for now and yes I do gather that they will be expensive. Mainly I want to know if you have seen them in homes and are they nice?

Greyduster Thu 16-May-19 08:10:28

We came across these in a cottage we stayed in recently, and were very taken with them. Couldn’t stop DH fiddling with them though!!

craftyone Fri 12-Jul-19 15:32:00

They are in!! The whole house apart from a couple of outward facing doors and they are lovely. They give me the blessed relief from the sun that I have been hoping for. I bought white teak stained with lime white. The colour is like a light fawn/beige/off white, hard to describe but definitely not the brilliant white that comes from paint and a definite wood grain. I am very happy with my choice and the workmanship

There is shade and it helped that I put paper blinds on each window, it was not a shock to me. There is narrower space on cills for plants but I have re-arranged those. I love the quality and am appreciative of the versatility and insulation properties. I was so hot until today and now I am comfortable. Woud I do it again? You bet I would

PamGeo Fri 12-Jul-19 15:40:52

Enjoy !

It's a lovely feeling when all the planning and excitement is as you hoped. I'm still at the planning and saving stage but I'm looking forward to having mine.

flowers

craftyone Sat 13-Jul-19 19:27:24

An update, I had to be away soon after installation and came back just an hour ago. It was wonderful driving towards my house and seeing all the windows clad with shutters, looked so classy and `joined up`. It has been very hot and sunny here all day I believe my house is cooler because I tilted the shutters before I left. Just now I have plenty of daylight coming in and enough sun. I am very very happy with my choice and with my choice of company and the three lovely men who put them in, all obviously very experienced and precise, one was a retired cabinet maker. I feel very lucky. I just need the perfect fit blinds on the outward opening glass doors and I am finished smile

craftyone Thu 25-Jul-19 13:30:01

my wooden shutters are worth every penny right now, they are holding back the heat. I wish I already had the honeycomb perfect fit blinds on the 5 doors, all opening on the sunny east side. I chose blackout hive because they have an aluminium core and are most energy efficient. They will arrive next week I think. I am very grateful to be able to block out some heat, in the last house all the insulating curtains would have been shut. No windows open as long as outside is warmer than in

craftyone Tue 01-Oct-19 07:37:37

I did an experiment last night, gave the central heating a trial, including the underfloor heating downstairs. The temperature in my lounge was 23 degrees at 8pm when the heating went off. My wooden shutters were all closed by then and the 2 patio door blinds were down, honeycomb perfect fit. Three vents were open on the other side of the shutters. 3 windows in the lounge and 2 narrow patio doors

It felt lovely and cosy when I came down this morning, no extra heat was added after yesterday. The lounge temperature is still on 23 and the shutters are still closed. The insulating beauty of wood, I feel the difference. The shutters are not just loevly to look at

daknoxy Mon 16-Nov-20 14:26:32

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

sprollershutters Fri 29-Oct-21 00:02:42

I have plantation shutters in my home. I bought all of them on SP Shutters Australia. 5 years and they're still in good shape. Air and light ventilation are adjustable, (depends on what I want). I'll say plantation are worth buying for home. And I'll say, get it!

Hetty58 Fri 29-Oct-21 00:16:01

I have them on the back windows - where there's a lot of glare from the sun. I think they do look silly on some neighbours' houses, where they're on the front, though. I have sheer blinds for privacy, where needed, and good old-fashioned curtains there.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 29-Oct-21 08:27:51

Yet another old post revived by advertisers
Which I’ve reported.