Gransnet forums

House and home

Too much grey ?

(64 Posts)
Katyj Sun 05-May-19 09:23:47

Hi, were moving house shortly,fingers crossed.We will need new flooring and furniture.The lounge has patio doors straight out into the garden, so thinking, a laminate floor covering, or similar in grey.Also wanted grey sofas, but would this be too much of the same colour ? and then of course we will need to decorate too. Don't want it too be cold look either although it is south west facing, it is very light and airy.Any ideas, much appreciated.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 05-May-19 12:25:32

Absolutely love grey, can lift it with zingy colour, calming with pastels, so chic, and classy! Sounds as if you have great
taste to me Katyj go for it?

Hazeld Sun 05-May-19 12:26:00

It sounds lovely. I love grey (except in my hair) and it can be made to look even better if you use contrasting colours for cushions, rugs, curtains and pictures.

sodapop Sun 05-May-19 12:29:51

White laminate floors Annaram1 just trying to visualise that after one wet day with my three dogs and cat. Sadly seems I am stuck with mud coloured floors.
Like the sound of cerise and grey dragonfly

NainGymraeg Sun 05-May-19 13:02:39

I too love grey. Why not go with a dark grey laminate, light grey sofas, white-grey walls and add pops of colour with bright cushions and rug?

phoenix Sun 05-May-19 13:20:51

We have just taken up the laminate in the kitchen, hall and downstairs loo and replaced it with a very hard wearing, wood effect vinyl. A visitor thought it was engineered wood!

We will be doing the same in the sitting room. The floor fitters wanted to do the whole lot in one day, but I couldn't face that much upheaval and chaos, hence they are coming back.

The one we have chosen is Texas Oak, but it also comes in a grey wood effect.

Having had laminate for 14 years, I must say that I wouldn't choose it again, the vinyl will be much better. It wasn't cheap, but has a very tough (cat proof) top layer and a long guarantee.

pce612 Sun 05-May-19 13:31:47

There are lots of decorating ideas on Pinterest, have a look.
Greys can be warm or cold, I would go for a bleached floor colour that will go with everything so when you redecorate, the floor won't be colour constraining.

Katyj Sun 05-May-19 14:15:57

Wow thank you everyone so much.Getting excited now, so much to think about.You all sound as if you have good taste, and lovely homes.I like the sound of pink and grey, but dh not so keen lol, I think I'll keep that idea for the spare room dgd's will be sleeping in I've seen a lovely paint colour called lilac grey, that i think would look nice on one wall.Anneraml, i like the sound of a white room and can imagine it would look amazing, but dont think I'm brave enough. Going to have a look at neutral flooring and grey, see what catches my eye, hope something does, as Im not much good at making decisions,and i hope grey is not going out of fashion yet, as I'm not keen on red. Who can afford to change sofas every two minutes.Thanks again.

Hm999 Sun 05-May-19 14:32:11

Bleached white laminate flooring?

DiL loves grey, silver grey through to almost slate - sounds grim, looks fabulous!

Annaram1 Sun 05-May-19 14:37:58

soadpop, Luckily I don't even have one dog or cat, so my white room will stay white.

Kim19 Sun 05-May-19 15:34:18

Don't think the amount of grey you mention seems like too much at all. Rather perfect, in fact, when I think of all the colourful scope you will have with curtaining, cushions etc. Sounds like a lovely adventure forthcoming. Good luck!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-May-19 15:50:30

You didn't mention how large or small the room is, which might make a difference, but I don't think a grey floor and sofa or two is too much grey.

I imagine the sofas and floor will be different shades of grey and that you will have walls and soft furnishings in other shades.

If you buy your sofas in Ikea they have loose covers, so if you get tired of the grey ones you can buy a new set in a different colour.

BBbevan Sun 05-May-19 16:13:42

We moved to a large house where every door, window frame, cupboard was painted grey. Too, too much. And anyway grey is going out. It has taken us nearly 2 years to cover the grey with white. The house looks cleaner and brighter. A small amount of grey in furnishings would look good but not too much.

M0nica Sun 05-May-19 16:16:23

Buy any house magazine today and the pages are awash with grey houses, it is thee most fashionable colour for house decor.

I have always preferred house magazines to fashion magazines but have currently almost stopped buying them, because as I flip through them before buying and see page after page of dull grey houses, I find them so dull and depressing I put the magazines back on the shelf and walk out empty handed.

I have no complaint with grey in moderation, but currently it seems no other colour is permitted - unless it is white and that is no better, if a house is white it has to be aall white, floors, walls, carpets furniture. Whats wrong with a bit of moderation and some variety of colour.

marionk Sun 05-May-19 16:24:17

I have grey walls, sofas and rug on light oak floor and have accessorised with orange notes in the curtains and orange cushions - love it.

Sara65 Sun 05-May-19 16:31:05

M0nica
I agree about home magazines, I subscribe to one of them, and barely open it any more, just a sea of grey, I used to pounce on it to get ideas , but so dreary now, it’s currently sat on my coffee table unopened

Katyj Sun 05-May-19 16:45:30

Hi, Grandtante.The room is 15ft by 13ft with a patio door and a window, it is very light and has venetian blinds at the door and window at the moment, with no curtains which helps it look bigger, but maybe a bit stark.

Willow500 Sun 05-May-19 17:37:14

We have grey sofas on oak laminate with grey checked curtains. The wallpaper on one wall is white with silver/grey pattern and the rest of the walls are white - we have grey rugs. It's broken up by the oak furniture and doesn't look too much at all. You can add an accent colour such as pink cushions and flowers - purple and aqua also go. Grey is a great colour palette to work with.

Good luck with your move.

Day6 Sun 05-May-19 17:58:16

Just as black ash furniture was a trend decades ago, and almost everyone had it - it went out of fashion. Sadly, most grey houses look like they have been cloned. I think it has had it's day.

You need a good eye to balance out greys. I have seen some very tasteful rooms painted grey, but others that look rather dull and dated already because - well, it's everywhere.

However, I love decorating projects. My tastes are quite eclectic. If a look becomes 'common' - in that it is everywhere - I avoid it like the plague, but that's just me... and we all like different things, so have fun and I hope you love the finished room.

lmm6 Sun 05-May-19 19:56:50

Depends a lot on how much light you can let in. We have huge windows and our grey kitchen and grey floor look great. Team grey up with bright green or shocking pink and it can look fantastic. But it actually goes with almost anything. Botanical print cushions or wallpaper goes with it too. However if I lived by the sea I'd probably go for blue and white - depends a lot on your style of house. Textures are important - some matt, some shiny. You need a mixture.

Evie64 Sun 05-May-19 20:45:26

Splashes of red in the form of cushions, pictures, blinds etc. look great with grey.

Alexa Sun 05-May-19 21:24:56

Anaraml, all that white sounds gorgeous. Lucky you!

Suki70 Sun 05-May-19 23:06:21

Like 4allweknow I was told recently by an interior designer that grey has had its day and that colour is in, together with other neutrals. As maw suggested, a beech or light oak floor would be less likely to go out of fashion and provide a suitable neutral background for other furnishings.

NanaPlenty Mon 06-May-19 08:45:25

I didn't like grey but now have my snug painted grey, grey sofas and chairs. I've added yellow blinds and timminge and I now love it.

hereshoping Mon 06-May-19 09:10:02

Whilst house hunting, we visited a house that was decorated through out in grey and I was surprised at how well it worked.

Rosiebee Mon 06-May-19 09:51:37

We had pale grey sofas, grey carpets when we refurbished house. Curtains were Laura Ashley ones with poppies and we added cushions in various shades of red. BUT, have also had to add several throws to sofas as the sofa fabric has to be protected from colour transference and yes we all wear jeans. Even some throws couldn't be used on light furniture according to label. I still love the look of grey but maybe should have gone for a different shade or fabric.