Gransnet forums

House and home

£2000

(108 Posts)
DoraMarr Thu 09-May-19 19:55:47

What horrible rainy weather! I’m sitting here, glass of wine in hand, contemplating putting a load of washing on. If I do, I will have to tumble dry it. The washer-dryer is in the kitchen end of my apartment living room, and it makes a lot of noise. So, I am thinking of taking out the bath in my guest bathroom, leaving the loo and washbasin in there, and turning it into a laundry room. This would would also give me an extra cupboard in the kitchen. If you had £2000 to spend on your house, what would you do?

Maggiemaybe Fri 10-May-19 09:03:34

I think a lot of men are like that.
And some women. blush I’d spend the £2000 on a holiday or trips out rather than the house if I could. If it absolutely had to go on the house I’d have a new front door, or a couple of new sofas.

Willow500 Fri 10-May-19 09:20:46

Oh dear too many things to chose from!

New double glazed window units (frames are ok)
Garden makeover by landscaper
Patio door fitted to bedroom to lead directly into garden rather than the side door onto the drive
2 bedrooms redecorated

I could go on

Instead I'll make do with the new front door currently being fitted this morning grin

stephenkeith1 Fri 10-May-19 09:44:08

I would have a new bathroom mine is so sad looking

inishowen Fri 10-May-19 09:46:10

I'd pay an interior designer to advise how to decorate our lounge. It's so dull, cream wallpaper, brown suite, cream curtains, and beige carpets. It's a dark room and I have no ideas on how to jazz it up.

annep1 Fri 10-May-19 09:48:06

Some women Maggiemay but in my experience mostly men.
And tradesmen don't help. I've never had one do a job perfectly which gives my husband enough excuse to say no to the next job. You are at the mercy of tradesmen no matter who recommends them!

POBCOB Fri 10-May-19 09:48:15

CrazyH, artificial lawn is not tacky if you get a good quality one. We had Verde fitted mostly due to our new puppy at that time. Best thing we done, cottage garden always looks great and takes the stress and worry out of having real grass. Most people can’t tell the difference but can be expensive as we paid £1,800 for a patch measuring approx 20’ x 30’.

Floradora9 Fri 10-May-19 09:49:27

janeainsworth we have a conservatory leading from our dining room and we use it so much . you can sit and enjoy the garden and even with no heating if the sun shines it soon warms up . If you could not afford that think about a wooden summerhouse . We had one at the top of our garden in our last house and it was bliss to sit there . You could not hear the doorbell or the phone and it warmed up quickly . We have sat in it in February when it was sunny. All it needs is a bit of carpet a couple of chair and a little table .

Sprout Fri 10-May-19 09:50:18

Oh wow I would definitely change the kitchen. It needs a overhall we all spend a lot of time in our kitchens the hub of the house so having a nice one when family can sit together and when friends visit lovely. So that money would be enjoyed by us all.

Parklife1 Fri 10-May-19 09:52:04

New stair and bedroom carpets and a paint job upstairs.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-May-19 09:52:34

At todays costs what do you get for £2000.? I would forget the material things and live with what I already had and spend the money on a holiday.

ninathenana Fri 10-May-19 09:53:05

Replace the banister with one of the glass panel ones and renew the guttering.
More than £2000 worth I would think.

mcem Fri 10-May-19 09:55:32

I'm about to spend considerably more than £2000 to have the bath removed and a walk-in shower installed (aware of mobility/safety issues).
A windfall £2000 would see my bedroom and dining-room redecorated !
I have to say that I'd never buy anywhere that had the kitchen as part of the living area. I like to contain all kitchen activities to the kitchen!!

Theoddbird Fri 10-May-19 09:58:57

I live on a narrow boat. I would spend it having the cabin redone and a crossover bed put in with a wardrobe either side. If any money left over the steps down into my boat replaced with ones with drawers in.

bongobil Fri 10-May-19 10:01:32

Definitely some bedroom furniture, as I don't have any at the moment.

Yaya79 Fri 10-May-19 10:04:51

A stair lift to save going up on all fours !

harrigran Fri 10-May-19 10:07:41

One of the double glazed windows has blown and the kitchen needs painting, no change from the £2,000 then.

gillybob Fri 10-May-19 10:20:35

We had a conservatory in the last house and I really miss it . Wouldn’t get one for £2000 though. I would like a new stair carpet and a mini makeover in my kitchen ( would like a whole new kitchen but that’s out of the question) . I would love a proper holiday (you know the kind that other people seem to have where they disappear for 2 whole weeks) but that’s impossible too.

I think I’ll stick with the new stair carpet . smile

Anyway, where do I apply? wink

EllanVannin Fri 10-May-19 10:20:51

A nice large carpet square, matching settee and armchair.

The carpet to replace 3 odd rugs placed here and there over fitted carpet and replacement settee and armchair because the cats have scratched the sides .

I doubt it would reach to £2000----so a weekend in Jersey.

squirrel5 Fri 10-May-19 10:25:11

I would put the money towards a new central heating boiler,ours is over 25yrs old and still going,but not as efficient as it could be, otherwise use money for new doors?

Diggingdoris Fri 10-May-19 10:38:48

A new garage and matching front door would be my choice but I don't think I'd get both for 2k!

Yes I'd rather spend it on a lovely holiday but with hubby's health issues that's not possible. Yes I would go alone but no one available to look after him.

ReadyMeals Fri 10-May-19 10:40:04

I paid just under £2000 for a new patio! I was expecting a far higher quote. Not bad...

Jacqui1956 Fri 10-May-19 10:45:38

I would have uvpc double gazing installed. We’ve got wooden double glazed windows but because we live in a National Park when we built the house 5yrs ago the planning officers wouldn’t allow uvpc only wood! So unless they change the rules wood it is!
Other than that there’s nothing so I would put it towards landscaping the garden by professionals rather than my husband and I doing it!

sarahanew Fri 10-May-19 10:45:52

Ooh, that sounds like a good idea. £2000, hmm, new flooring in the kitchen and new carpet on the stairs and landing, get my hall stairs and landing decorated, maybe. Alternatively put it towards having my garden landscaped, I can't decide! But seeing as I don't have a spare £2000 it's all a daydream anyway. No harm in daydreaming!

Auntieflo Fri 10-May-19 10:49:44

Ninathenana, a while ago I seriously considered having a new glass banister, but now I couldn’t live without my wooden banisters to help me haul myself upstairs.

Misha14 Fri 10-May-19 10:54:52

CrazyH please don't put artificial turf down. It's so bad for the environment and climate change. Gravel with a porous membrain is much beter.