Gransnet forums

House and home

Dyson or Henry?

(38 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 02-Jun-19 00:31:42

I can't manage my Dyson any more. It's too heavy to lug upstairs and I feel it's pulling my arms out of their sockets.
I'm thinking of switching to a Henry instead.
Would that be a good move? Most of the house is carpeted apart from kitchen and bathrooms.

Jangran99 Sun 02-Jun-19 00:43:27

Perhaps consider a cordless model such as Dyson/ Shark/Gtech. They all have similar features, but vary in price. Personally I would never go back to a corded cleaner.

Jangran99 Sun 02-Jun-19 00:49:52

PS. Look on the House and Home forum.There are a couple of threads extolling the virtues of the different models.

tanith Sun 02-Jun-19 07:01:53

I have a Dyson cordless and love it. It’s light and easy to use, it’s great for the stairs you just remove the long tube to make a hand held vacuum so simple. I’ll never go back to a corded either.

Alima Sun 02-Jun-19 07:06:13

Switched from a Dyson to a GTech a couple of years ago, best thing ever. GTech much lighter, no cord to faff with. The hand held is wonderful for the stairs,beds/sofas.

DoraMarr Sun 02-Jun-19 07:49:29

I have had both a Henry and a Dyson. Both are good, but a Henry is not the best choice if you are looking for something lighter- they are heavy. Also, if you have a back problem they are not good because of the way you have to hold the hose to clean, and they are quite tiring to use. I have a corded Dyson now which is fine, but I don’t have stairs. Have you thought of keeping your current cleaner and buying another one to keep upstairs?

Niobe Sun 02-Jun-19 08:02:19

I keep my old Dyson upstairs to clean the bedrooms and have a new cordless Dyson to clean downstairs where I have a mix of carpet and hard floors. However the cordless is so easy to use and light that I just take it up to do the bedrooms rather than go through all the faff of getting out the corded one. I can do a whole floor at max power on one charge and that's all I want.

Auntieflo Sun 02-Jun-19 08:03:58

DoraMarr you just beat me to it!
Downstairs I have my lovely Henry , plus a GTech.
Upstairs I have a small Miele, that is lightweight and easy to use.

Grammaretto Sun 02-Jun-19 08:16:03

Cordless Dyson or Shark. I wish I had one on each floor but can't afford it. The Shark is selfsupporting and comes with a spare battery. The Dyson has a wall mounted charging station where it's kept when not in use so it's always ready to use.
I've not tried Gtech or others.
Persuade someone younger and stronger to clean might be another option? wink

jusnoneed Sun 02-Jun-19 08:23:48

I have a Henrietta (pink version of Henry) and that is quite heavy.
At two places where I work I use a cylinder Miele, they are light and very efficient. I would buy one myself if mine breaks. Don't like Dysons.

Marilla Sun 02-Jun-19 08:26:49

I also really like the cordless Dyson. I use the wall mounted charging station and the extra tools are so useful. It’s excellent in cleaning both hard floor and carpets.
Hoovering between the carpet and skirting boards has never been easier and the stairs are no longer a ‘dreaded’ job.

sodapop Sun 02-Jun-19 08:45:07

I have a cordless Dyson upstairs and a cylinder Hoover downstairs. I'm not sure spending a lot of money is always a good investment. My daughter had a cleaning business and always used Henrys.

Pittcity Sun 02-Jun-19 08:47:09

I have Henry upstairs and a Bosch cordless downstairs. Mostly laminate downstairs.
DH and DS carry Henry up and down to clean the cars...my back is saved!

mosaicwarts Sun 02-Jun-19 08:49:34

I want a cordless hoover but the cost has rather put me off. If I manage to sell my house I think I'll buy one, need to find somewhere to try them out. I've got arthritis in my hands and don't want to have to keep a button depressed.

My aunt is very happy with her Gtech and gave me a demonstration - quite light, and not very noisy.

I've got a Henry and I can't bear him, too heavy plus he gets stuck and peeps at me from every door frame smile

Iam64 Sun 02-Jun-19 09:00:53

Cordless every time, I'd never go back to a stand up cleaner, too heavy, to difficult to manage on the stairs etc.

Septimia Sun 02-Jun-19 09:38:08

I haven't tried other cordless vacuums, but I've been very happy with my Gtech. Very light and easy to use. My neighbour, in her 80s, finds hers ideal too.

crazyH Sun 02-Jun-19 09:47:52

I have one on each floor....so much easier. Grammeretto, look on Gumtree, you can good second hand ones there. And some of them will only be about one or 2 years old .

SalsaQueen Sun 02-Jun-19 09:50:30

I've got a Dyson cordless, for using upstairs (2 bedrooms with laminate flooring, 1 with carpet). I find it quite poor, as it seems to just push any bits along without actually sucking them up.

A friend bought a Shark, let me borrow it, and it's excellent, so I'll be buying one of those.

Franbern Sun 02-Jun-19 09:57:24

Would not, these days, buy anything made by Dyson....
Last Christmas my kids bought me a GTech upright and hand held. Absolutely wonderful, everything I have been looking for in vacuum cleaners for years. The upright is very light, but extremely powerful, I keep this upstairs for bedrooms and landing which are carpeted.
The handheld is excellent for my stairs and also to do my car. Have two chargers, one for each. They take little time to re-charge and both are so very easy to empty.

Sara65 Sun 02-Jun-19 10:05:09

Cordless dyson, which I love and use all the time, my one complaint is not enough charge, so I have to use my Miele if I’m doing s lot of cleaning! Ideally I’d like two dysons!

Framilode Sun 02-Jun-19 10:38:25

I have 2 Henrys which clean well but are cumbersome. I think it depends on how many carpets you have. Henrys are brilliant for hard floors but for a lot of carpets I prefer an upright.

Liz46 Sun 02-Jun-19 10:45:49

Another Gtech fan here. I used the little one on the furniture and stairs.

midgey Sun 02-Jun-19 10:48:22

I borrowed my daughter’s cordless Dyson, so easy and light! But...I don’t think I would buy a Dyson now on principle!

Nonnie Sun 02-Jun-19 11:46:30

No need to pay for a Dyson and who wants to support them these days?

DH has a cordless and a Henry and seems to choose which one to use at random. He is happy with both but then I remember the time he had 3 lawn mowers grin. I think he has several electric drills too but hardly does any DIY. Is it a man thing?

MawBroonsback Sun 02-Jun-19 11:51:57

I am very fond of my Dyson cordless. The battery life is said to be only 20 minutes, but that is plenty for me. (Who wants to hoover for longer than 20 minutes? )
I do have a Miele Cat and Dog which lives in the garage and is, I suppose, heavier duty but I hardly use it as my cleaner brings his own heavy duty Henry type and the Dyson is just for a quick cosmetic zoom around (or crumbs!)
I do think the solution is one upstairs and one downstairs to save lugging a heavy machine up and down stairs .
Both the GTech and Shark seem to be popular. Horses for courses?