Gransnet forums

House and home

How to get the smell of BO out of clothes

(44 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Sun 23-Jun-19 12:21:00

Is there a trick I'm not aware of? I've washed my son's work polo shirts twice now, and the BO smell is still there.

He's not a dirty man lol - he showers, if not daily, then every other day - and uses deodorant.

I don't know how to deal with this so any advice is welcome.

PS - To clarify, I say "I" have washed his shirts. That's because I was putting washing on anyway. He doesn't expect me to do it!

fairisle Sun 23-Jun-19 12:40:47

Hi HurdyGurdy I use Vanish oxi-action pre-treat stain remover spray,it is in the laundry aisle next to the washing powders,it`s in a pink bottle,i spray it on the outside and inside of the armpits on all my tops,leave for 2 minutes then wash as normal,i have used this for years and it works,there is also vanish powders,not used those.smile

SueDonim Sun 23-Jun-19 12:41:05

I've read that spraying the article with vodka (the cheapest is fine!) can remove BO smells. I've not tried it myself, though.

Niobe Sun 23-Jun-19 12:42:50

I would soak them for at least a couple of hours in a basin containing hot water and a couple of tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda then wash using a bio detergent. Bicarbonate is brilliant at getting rid of unwanted smells.

phoenix Sun 23-Jun-19 14:52:13

If he is showering and using deodorant, we do his tops smell of B.O?

Is it just deodorant he is using, or anti persperant? (There is a difference!)

Missfoodlove Sun 23-Jun-19 17:27:32

Turn inside out and soak in cold water and white vinegar.
I ash as normal, inside out and under no circumstances tumble dry.
Line dry only. The heat from a dryer will make the bacteria in the B O multiply.

HurdyGurdy Sun 23-Jun-19 17:46:17

Thank you - I will try the bicarb first (as I've got some of that) and if that doesn't work, will move down through the other suggestions.

I didn't know about the tumble drying - not sure how to manage in winter, but will cross that bridge when we come to it grin

SpringyChicken Sun 23-Jun-19 18:04:22

Dr Beckmann make a product specifically for this problem. I haven't used it myself but bought some for my son and daughter. It's about £2.50.

www.dr-beckmann.co.uk/product/stain-devils-antiperspirant-sweat-marks-250ml/

Lona Sun 23-Jun-19 20:33:59

I use the cheapest vinegar, white or brown it doesn't stain, in a spray bottle. Spray the underarm area and then wash. I do it every time and it's very effective.

GrAnne2 Mon 24-Jun-19 10:23:23

Have you tried sports wash? It’s intended for ‘sweaty’ clothes!

NainFron Mon 24-Jun-19 10:33:14

HurdyGurdy, having raised 3 sons and 2 SS, I am very familiar with this problem! Vanish spray (or stick) as suggested elsewhere , then a hot wash at 60 deg. usually works. Vanish contains enzymes to break down the fat and proteins in the sweat. Hot wash is more effective at getting rid of build up of old sweat. If washing colours, don't mix with whites because they WILL stain at 60 degrees . Good luck!

polnan Mon 24-Jun-19 10:33:35

you don`t say how long he has worn the shirts!

jaylucy Mon 24-Jun-19 10:33:51

I'd tell him to change his deodorant - it's obviously not doing the job, or he just casually aims at his armpits and misses!

Patticake123 Mon 24-Jun-19 10:49:35

A colleague of mine thought that the reason our son’s BO was so horrible to us , was nature’s way of stopping us falling for them! As far as the odour goes, I used to soak his shirts in a pretty strong Vanish solution.
My husband’s shirts never offend me, so just maybe my colleague had a good point.

GrannyMosh Mon 24-Jun-19 10:50:30

On the days when he does not shower, does he wash his armpits thoroughly? He needs to be doing that, especially at this time of year, and using a good antiperspirant/deodorant. Wash the offending articles in bio detergent using one of the products mentioned (eg Vanish). Put a good glug of white vinegar in the final rinse. It kills germs and bacteria and also acts as a fabric conditioner. Line drying is preferable, as sunshine is a natural getm-killer, but rather than use a tumble dryer, I would hang washing on a clothes horse overnight in a closed room, with a dehumidifier running. It works well for me.

pen50 Mon 24-Jun-19 10:58:39

Hot - at least 60° - washes were necessary for late DH's shirts and also DS's. I think some people simply have smellier BO, despite all attempts to deodorise at source. Although I did get hold of some "Arrid Extra" from the US which has improved things for DS, a bit.

JenniferEccles Mon 24-Jun-19 11:01:03

I wondered the same as polnan

Does he only wear the shirts once before they are washed? If not that could be the problem of course.

Also I would certainly encourage him to shower every day without fail ! A necessity surely?

I can't imagine getting up in the morning and putting clean clothes on without having showered first.

georgia101 Mon 24-Jun-19 11:11:39

Since I started to put white vinegar into the fabric conditioner compartment of the washing machine instead of fabric conditioner, my husband's shirts no longer smell of sweat, which was a problem before. And no, they don't smell of vinegar, and are just as soft as before, so it's cheaper too, and probably better for the environment.

Pantglas1 Mon 24-Jun-19 11:15:33

Your last two sentences Jennifer Eccles are definitely the answer....

Jjay22 Mon 24-Jun-19 11:17:32

I’ve found that laundry liquid works on gym clothes - if they’re really bad having mouldered in a bag for a while, I give them a 10 min soak in it first too. Then you add it instead of fabric softener in the wash. It’s antibacterial and seems to do the trick, especially over a few washes. Detail do one but you can also get supermarket own brand

Jjay22 Mon 24-Jun-19 11:17:53

Dettol not detail!

HunnyBunny Mon 24-Jun-19 11:20:56

I occasionally put a capful of zoflora in the wash along with the detergent.
Does the trick and doesn’t seem to have any adverse effect on the material.
I use the one called Linen Fresh.

Graygirl Mon 24-Jun-19 11:30:07

Vinegar 50-50 in spray bottle, tip given by my Nan who started her life as a maid in a hotel then went on to be the housekeeper . She also used to put it in rinse water for towels to stop build-up

Sashabel Mon 24-Jun-19 12:35:22

I swear by Dettol anti-bacterial laundry cleanser for all my washing. You never get sweat smells on clothing and it's great for getting rid of the "musty" smell you get with older towels. I do all my washing at 30 degrees now so it saves on energy as well. Wouldn't be without it (wait until it's on special offer at your local supermarket - a bottle lasts quite a long time and you add it to the fabric conditioner drawer)

grandtanteJE65 Mon 24-Jun-19 12:53:03

I would add vinegar to the rinsing water as well as steeping the clothes in cold water and vinegar.

What are his shirts made of? Some manmade fibres combine very nastily with individual's sweat.

Another brand of shirt might just solve the problem.