Gransnet forums

House and home

Dried blood on carpet.

(34 Posts)
shysal Mon 01-Jul-19 09:08:11

I am feeding my neighbour's cats while she is away. Last night I found the corpses of two shrews and a frog on her pale cream carpet. Fortunately there are no stains so far but no doubt there will be more 'presents' before she comes home. I have the same problem with my cats but am not always successful when removing the stains, especially if they have dried on. My carpets are old and I deliberately haven't changed them.
The products I have are Vanish Gold carpet care, Vanish Powerfoam and Dr Beckman's stain remover, none of which I am completely happy with. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Missfoodlove Mon 01-Jul-19 09:20:05

For blood Ace gentle bleach. It doesn’t bleach the colour out but test on an inconspicuous area first.

PamGeo Mon 01-Jul-19 09:28:17

Cold water works fine on small stains but if that doesn't get it cleaned I'd try dabbing a bit of milk on to clean it. Blood needs cold water, even ice cubes will do it usually but you could try salt or baking powder if those don't lift the stain. If it's your neighbours carpet I'd not even try , just clear up the messy remains and let them do it themselves.

mumofmadboys Mon 01-Jul-19 09:34:54

I would use just water and repeat until it came out.

NfkDumpling Mon 01-Jul-19 10:15:22

Put a rug over the top?

Septimia Mon 01-Jul-19 10:41:14

It's a common problem in our house. I've found that fancy cleaning products don't really do the job. If there's a lot of blood etc., I leave it to dry and then use a stiff brush to remove as much as possible. That way there isn't much left that can spread when it gets wet. After that it's usually water and disinfectant.

Willow500 Mon 01-Jul-19 10:44:00

I use Vanish gold on vomit and blood stains - the carpet one usually does the job.

Smiley4 Mon 01-Jul-19 10:45:05

White wine vinegar and bicarbonate brought red wine off a cream carpet for me. so it should work on blood.

tiredoldwoman Mon 01-Jul-19 10:46:11

wet, blot,wet,blot ?Cold water only .

maxdecatt Mon 01-Jul-19 10:47:28

"Dried blood on carpet...." sounds like agood title for a murder mystery.

tigger Mon 01-Jul-19 10:57:43

Would you believe a squib of WD40, leave for half an hour then gently dab with COLD water.

Gelisajams Mon 01-Jul-19 11:05:58

Ammonia

Jessity Mon 01-Jul-19 11:08:04

I've had success with Wine No More - brilliant on wine stains on carpets but also seems to work with blood.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 01-Jul-19 11:09:33

After trying every commercial cleaner on a rust stain on my pale carpet (leaky radiator) I finally found this tip somewhere.
Salt and lemon juice. Just pour on some cheap table salt and follow with Jif lemon juice u til the salt is wet.
Leave for a couple of hours. I don't think I rubbed it, just vacuumed when dry.
I think blood and rust react in a similar way.
Perhaps try it out on an old rag with a pricked finger before you need it.

Nasty cats. Sorry.

sazz1 Mon 01-Jul-19 11:12:16

There is a spray called Elbow Grease that is absolutely brilliant for this and many other things. It's only £1. We buy it in the Factory shop but some supermarkets stuck it now. Took squashed in blackberry out of a cream carpet straight away also tea stains, and is the best decreased I've used. HTH

Craftycat Mon 01-Jul-19 11:13:20

We're off to Greece later this week- I'd better stock up on all these as one of our much loved cats is bound to bring in little presents- mind you she rarely kills them. I am expecting a veritable zoo when we get back.

sazz1 Mon 01-Jul-19 11:13:26

Sorry should say degreaser

EmilyHarburn Mon 01-Jul-19 12:02:47

Telephone your neighbour or use email what ever contact you have and chat this over with her. Do not do anything to the carpet until you have her permission and follow her advice.

b1zzle Mon 01-Jul-19 12:03:46

Tesco's antibacterial spray! No idea why/how it works, it just does!

sodapop Mon 01-Jul-19 12:08:31

Yes I was a bit worried about the content of this post maxdecatt thought someone had finally had enough of their partner grin

dragonfly46 Mon 01-Jul-19 12:12:27

For small stains on carpets I used baby wipes. For some reason they work really well.

Divawithattitude Mon 01-Jul-19 12:12:44

We use Dr Beckmans caret stain remover - amazing results, blood, red wine, coffee, pee from the cat!!

oldgaijin Mon 01-Jul-19 12:16:42

If the blood has dried, put a cloth soaked in normal saline (cold water with salt in it) and leave to soften. Dab as much of the blood off as possible with kitchen towel before using a proprietary carpet cleaner. On no account use hot water as the blood will set forever.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 01-Jul-19 12:38:33

When I worked for a short time in a dry cleaners as the stain remover, we removed all stain except ink, by steam and gently working the stain with a blunt instrument. You could try that, other wise if its bad enough she could always go through with an insurance claim, if she has one.

Theoddbird Mon 01-Jul-19 14:54:24

This really is not your problem. Their cats...they must be used to it. It is possible that you could cause damage trying to remove a mark so best leave for them to deal with. Just remove the offending bodies.