Gransnet forums

House and home

Walk in shower n colours. Small bathroom

(41 Posts)
Ohmother Mon 01-Jul-19 20:07:49

Can you share your photos of your small bathrooms with a walk in shower. I’m having panels but I don’t know if to go for black n white or beige again. I want the panel along the long wall of the shower to be a different shade. Darker?

Ohmother Mon 01-Jul-19 20:37:49

Anyone???

mcem Mon 01-Jul-19 20:47:10

About to do the same. Thought black and white too dark for my small bathroom and beige/cream too boring so my wall panels will be textured sky blue. Didn't like all the imitation ones - marble, slate, tiles etc
Lots of white tiles plus navy towels. Won't choose flooring until I see the work done.
Can't post pic's for a couple of weeks!

J52 Mon 01-Jul-19 20:53:33

Our en-suites in holiday house are small, not there at present so can’t photo. One is white with blue mosaic tiles in the shower cubicle. Limewashed floorboards.

The other is white with black, grey mirrored highlight tiles in the shower and black slate floor tiles.

Ohmother Mon 01-Jul-19 21:06:00

Thanks so far. We’re using panels so wondering if mirror(ish) grey on back wall. Would a black Cushionfloor ( there are others) floor covering would make the bathroom look smaller?

phoenix Mon 01-Jul-19 21:07:34

We are planning a revamp of the bathroom, (bath with shower over) and currently are considering white panels (to replace the tiles that are currently around the bath area and above the whb) around 3 walls, but leaving the 4th wall, which has the heated towel rail ladder thingy, so that we can emulsion it in whatever colour we fancy.

Wether we can actually afford to do it is another matter!

Framilode Mon 01-Jul-19 21:15:52

We tiled the shower area in dark turquoise tiles with a sort of brown mark in them (I think it is called burnt) but everyone says they are fantastic, then continued the rest of the bathroom in the same tile but in cream. It looks very good and differentiates the shower area. It also gives the bathroom some oomph and stops it looking boring.

mcem Mon 01-Jul-19 21:22:10

I should havd added that my corner bath with shower was installed 22 years ago. All white, brightened up with bright towels and accessories. Because I'm now bored with that and the bath panel is becoming more shoogly I'm removing the bath and having a walk-in shower and colour!

SueDonim Mon 01-Jul-19 21:29:59

Our en suite was done a couple of years ago. I chose panels in a polished concrete look and I love it. It's neither grey nor cream so I can change the decor as I wish. The cupboards are an off-white with dark countertops. It looks modern and stylish.

callgirl1 Mon 01-Jul-19 21:31:30

Here`s a pic of ours, but the tiles are boring beige, I`m afraid, non slip floor in grey.

Ohmother Mon 01-Jul-19 21:32:53

Any photo SueDonim?

Coolgran65 Mon 01-Jul-19 22:27:20

New bathroom a few years ago. Last year took out the bath for a walk in shower. The shower area is done in a Matt finish charcoal sheeting. Marine ply 4' wide with a coated finish, not plastic sheeting. Matt Charcoal was chosen to go with our existing floor tiles. The existing white tiling remained. We already had a chrome towel rail. Also put in a plastic tongue and groove ceiling with LED spotlights which are fabulous. Added lime green roller blind and towels. Two planters with white/green orchids and a lime green tin bucket filled with driftwood from the local beach. Love it.

Just to note the shower panel has a smaller 12" flip panel added. This extra 12" helps contain the water when in use and can be flipped in when not in use, or out when needing a little more space to clean the shower area.

phoenix Mon 01-Jul-19 22:41:11

I think I may have mentioned before, that thanks to my plumber, I now covet an item that I didn't even know existed!

Mr P and I refer to it as a "beam me up Scottie" as it looks like something from Star Trek, but it's a shower/steam cabin/Jacuzzi bath combo thing.

Doubt if we will have one........

tanith Mon 01-Jul-19 22:52:25

Here’s mine it was done a few years ago, it’s a bit bland I suppose but I like it.

SueDonim Mon 01-Jul-19 22:58:12

I hope this comes out! I don't think I've added a photo before on GN.

paddyann Tue 02-Jul-19 00:15:48

My OH just completed a new bathroom for my son,its grey marble tiles and has purple wallboards in the shower it looks beautiful the grey tones the purple (sparkle) down a bit.My sons partner loves a bit of sparkle and its not too much done this way

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Jul-19 00:42:47

Have a look on Instagram using a search term such as #showerroom or #smallbathroomdesign and I think you’ll see more ideas than you need! Alternatively, try searching for the brand of panel you’re considering and you will no doubt see hundreds of examples of it. I have done this myself when considering a particular floor covering.
Good luck.

Opal Tue 02-Jul-19 01:04:10

Quick question - a few of you have mentioned that you've had wall panels instead of tiles. Have any of you had problems with these? We're about to do our bathroom and have been warned that panels can "bubble up" after a time. Any experiences with these please?

craftyone Tue 02-Jul-19 06:40:24

I have a small new bathroom and didn`t want any colour, having to live with it for potentially decades, to risk getting tired of it. I chose very large plain white tiles and a grey mosaic non-slip floor. Its gorgeous and I can add pops of colour with accessories and towels. Neighbours have the standard mottled beige, the colour in every new build bathroom. Like avocado, it will soon be dated

Anja Tue 02-Jul-19 06:51:39

Opal we had a small en-suite shower in the bedroom added about 7 years ago. This has panels and they are fine. I think it’s worth getting the best quality ones.

Incidentally ohmother they are a very light grey.

mumofmadboys Tue 02-Jul-19 07:34:25

I would go for white and introduce colour with accessories

Peonyrose Tue 02-Jul-19 07:54:19

My bathroom is certainly in need of an update, every quotation I have had just to renovate has been squashed by salesperson, definitely a walk in shower is needed, instead of the bath, beige or greyish tiling, all look the same. I am quite attached to my bath with the electric shower over. It does look a bit dull and I just wanted new shower, radiator tiles grouted and a new light and floor, but it seems there is no one out there that is willing to undertake such a mundane project. Am I asking too much. Does anyone who has taken the plunge? to the modern fully tiled, clinical shower only option lfe the look. Am I being really old fashioned? Give it to me straight.

Peonyrose Tue 02-Jul-19 07:55:48

Ohmother, I would go for white and add colour with accessories, always looks good.

Greyduster Tue 02-Jul-19 08:49:32

Here is mine. I love the extra “elbow room” in the shower. I sometimes miss the bath though.

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Jul-19 09:13:24

My mother-in-law has a new one just like Greyduster and she loves it.
There are some stunning options to tiles now though including a fabulous sleek, easy clean skim, applied like plaster. I’d look at those if I were embarking on a restyle.