Gransnet forums

House and home

Naff or not?

(87 Posts)
shysal Thu 25-Jul-19 10:53:58

My patio badly needs re-pointing. I have the 'brush-in and wet' stuff and plan to do it when the weather cools down.
I have had the idea of setting in an occasional shiny bead, making sure they are not a slip or trip hazard. My garden is quite feminine, with lots of flowers, fairy lights and metal sculptures of peacock and cats.
What do you think of the idea and how could I make it tasteful rather than tacky?

Pantglas1 Thu 25-Jul-19 10:58:44

Do you care what anyone on here thinks shysal? I understand consulting family/friends but even then if I wanted it in my nest I’d have it!

MissAdventure Thu 25-Jul-19 10:58:56

I think its a brilliant idea. (Waits to be shot down in flames)
It'll look lovely, I'm sure.

I suppose you could use a fairly beige colour for your stones, but I'd put all those lovely colours in.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 25-Jul-19 10:59:39

I think it's rather nice. A little bead here and there can look nice. You say you'll ensure that they're safe so I'd urge you to go ahead.

Septimia Thu 25-Jul-19 11:00:46

I thinks it sounds quite nice. Perhaps the answer to making it tasteful is to choose subtle colours that enhance the colour of the stone and aren't immediately obvious, rather than using bright colours. Or you could graduate the colours, from subtle to bright, across the patio working from the sunniest area to the darkest.

Sara65 Thu 25-Jul-19 11:01:21

If you like it, that’s all that matters

But actually, I think it sounds quite nice

DanniRae Thu 25-Jul-19 11:01:49

Well if you like the idea then do it BUT I am sorry to say that I don't like it! I apologise if this not the reply that you wanted but you did ask!

Day6 Thu 25-Jul-19 11:06:52

Go for it Shysal

If you have already 'decorated' your garden then add all the quirky, colourful touches you want. I love the selection of beads that you've shown us.

I like unusual settings. I'd be tempted to string pretty lights above your patio too afterwards to highlight the shiny bits below.

tanith Thu 25-Jul-19 11:12:35

Sounds lovely go for it.

Craicon Thu 25-Jul-19 11:16:22

Sounds lovely to me. My DH built a long dry stone wall and in one section, put in a little fairy door with some colourful marbles cemented in at its base. Because the door is a beige sort of colour and set back in a few inches, it blends into the wall and you only see it when you look hard enough.
He did this whilst I was on holiday one year and I thought it was wonderful.

henetha Thu 25-Jul-19 11:18:18

I love that idea. It's not tacky, it's just lovely.

ginny Thu 25-Jul-19 11:23:06

Nice idea. Do it , it’s your garden.

midgey Thu 25-Jul-19 11:26:52

Hmm I’m with DanniRae

SilverDarlings12 Thu 25-Jul-19 11:28:18

I would do it Shy...Ive made a "love tree" with lights on and

have been collecting coloured glass hearts to hang on it.

No idea if its "naff" but I like it. +

shysal Thu 25-Jul-19 11:30:12

I have white fairy lights along the fence on one side of the patio and the shed the other, plus a solar moroccan lamp on the table. I liken it to Santa's Grotto at night! I think the amount of light I have would pick up the odd sparkle, which I hadn't thought of.
DannieRay, of course I don't mind if you don't like the idea! I want honest comments.

SilverDarlings12 Thu 25-Jul-19 11:34:42

Just seen your garden Shy....lovely and so interesting+

Squiffy Thu 25-Jul-19 11:48:15

What a lovely garden Shysal- a really inviting oasis!

Nandalot Thu 25-Jul-19 11:55:13

Beautiful garden Shysal .

SalsaQueen Thu 25-Jul-19 13:11:32

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks - particularly a group of faceless strangers - so have whatever you like smile

MissAdventure Thu 25-Jul-19 13:18:51

And post pictures once you've done it, please?
Your garden is beautiful. smile

grannyqueenie Thu 25-Jul-19 13:30:59

Your garden looks beautiful, shysal. With these things there’s always that fine line between just enough to be tasteful and too much which looks a bit less so. Those colours are lovely, I’m sure you’ll enjoy doing it and you’ll find the right balance along the way.... and if you’re tempted to get carried away with it all then just keep telling yourself “less is more”! ?

EllanVannin Thu 25-Jul-19 13:34:46

I'd do whatever I wanted with a garden like that, it's beautiful. Well done you.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 25-Jul-19 13:43:51

Fabulous idea, wish I’d thought of it, am now going to see where I can incorporate it in the jungle?

nanaK54 Thu 25-Jul-19 13:51:32

Wow what a beautiful garden

shysal Thu 25-Jul-19 15:11:08

grannyqueenie I agree about less being more, I shall have to be tough with myself and also ignore my love of symmetry! Any left-over beads I can put into a glass bottle or carafe to stand on the already crammed table.

I am not looking forward to chipping away all the old pointing because if I kneel down I can't get up, so it will be back-breaking bending over to do it. I shall have to take it a bit at a time.