Gransnet forums

House and home

Defrosting your fridge when you go away?

(36 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:01:34

Does anyone still defrost a 'fridge when they go on holiday? I thought this went out in the 50's but my elderly mother insists on doing every time she goes away even if only for 5 days! I don't defrost my 'fridge when I go away. Does anyone else? Mum switched the 'fridge off and the freezer as well by mistake. What a mess when I went in to do some jobs for her whilst she was away. Comments Ladies please.

shysal Mon 05-Aug-19 14:21:27

I would leave the fridge switched on. If you defrost and shut the door it could go mouldy.

My brother once accidentally switched off my parents' full upright freezer when they went away for 3 months. You can imagine the seepage and the smell!!

FlexibleFriend Mon 05-Aug-19 15:00:58

Nope never done it. I chuck out anything that might go off while I'm away but even if it was empty I'd leave it on. Mine has a vacation mode but never used it.

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 15:33:13

The last time I did that I propped the door open but my neighbour popped in to pick up the post and kindly shut the fridge door for me.
It was mouldy when we got home!

SalsaQueen Mon 05-Aug-19 15:55:50

No, I never defrost the freezer when I go away. I don't turn the freezer or anything else off, either - when I'm away, I have friends/family who come round to feed my cat, 3 or 4 times a day, so they make themselves a drink, put the tv on, and sit around for a while.

dragonfly46 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:57:42

Mine defrosts itself so not a problem but have never defrosted it before a holiday. I like to come home to a fridge full of stuff.

Mapleleaf Mon 05-Aug-19 17:00:38

No, never.

Willow500 Mon 05-Aug-19 17:06:16

No - usually empty the fridge of anything perishable but have never turned that or the freezers off.

M0nica Mon 05-Aug-19 17:33:44

I only have a small table top fridge, which is never that full. I turn it off if I go away for 10 days or more, just because it seems a waste of energy, but otherwise leave it on.

My large chest freezer is on 24/7/365.

MiniMoon Mon 05-Aug-19 17:48:35

Never done that. I use up perishables before going away, but my fridge contains jams and pickles etc., that don't deteriorate that quickly. I leave it on. It self defrosts anyway.

TwiceAsNice Mon 05-Aug-19 19:14:52

Never defrost it when I go away. Make sure there is nothing on it that would go off but there is always drinks, pickles, sauces etc left in it so it’s always left on . I defrost it occasionally when it needs it when I am here to sort it

BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 19:18:45

No never done it

annep1 Mon 05-Aug-19 19:18:58

My present one self defrosts but I have never done this.

annep1 Mon 05-Aug-19 19:19:51

I switch off the caravan one clean and leave doors open for winter.

rubysong Mon 05-Aug-19 19:24:29

I worked in a school office and at the end of one summer term a parent, who was a fisherman, gave the headteacher a lovely big salmon. He put it in the staffroom fridge for the day, forgot about it and switched off the fridge as he left the building. No one was there for about as month!

BlueSapphire Tue 06-Aug-19 08:08:36

Have no need to defrost my fridge as it doesn't have an icebox - it's a larder fridge: I just make sure anything perishable is thrown out, and that it's clean, but leave it on as there are drinks and jars of jams etc in it. Never switch the freezer off either.

fizzers Tue 06-Aug-19 08:48:30

nope, never when I go away

Craftycat Tue 06-Aug-19 10:33:39

No never. Why,?
I leave the cat milk in it got my neighbour to give them.
TBH I leave a lot of stuff in it. I just clear out anything that would go off over 2 weeks.

Riggie Tue 06-Aug-19 10:37:27

No, because it's a fridge freezer and I dont empty the freezer part. Plus there is always stuff in the fridge that needs to be kept cold.

Teacheranne Tue 06-Aug-19 10:41:32

I was told by a removal company to put dry teabags in my fridge while it was in storage with the door closed. I was sceptical as I know how much mould my caravan fridge got over the winter but it worked! Six months later my fridge was mould free and sweet smelling!

I now leave tea bags in my fridge all the time to help reduce smells and also in my spare freezer in the garage which is only used a couple of times a year.

Davida1968 Tue 06-Aug-19 10:45:02

Same as Riggie. I think that perhaps when we were away for three months, we did clear out the fridge-freezer completely, switched it off and left it to "air". Otherwise no, not even for six weeks away.

Horatia Tue 06-Aug-19 10:56:14

I always run my fridge and freezer down before holiday, maybe I should empty and save some energy not running it

mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 06-Aug-19 11:23:05

Will have to show these comments to my mum and finally get through to her that defrosting your fridge before hols is just not necessary!

Witzend Tue 06-Aug-19 11:34:52

No way, but I do run down/use up perishables and put any milk or bread in the freezer.

Back in May came home from a week away, to find the F/F alarm-bleeping like mad. Alas we had left the freezer door not properly shut so it had iced right up. Took me most of a day to clear out/defrost/clean - TBH it was overdue for a clearout anyway - but luckily didn't have to throw much away.

Gma29 Tue 06-Aug-19 11:35:04

I always clear it of anything likely to spoil while I’m away, and give it a wipe with bicarb solution. I wouldn’t defrost unless going away for a very long time.