Gransnet forums

House and home

How did you decide where to retire?

(90 Posts)
birchermuesli Fri 09-Aug-19 12:51:09

Husband and I are racked with indecision. He is a non-driver and I'm nervous about motorways, so the idea of making lots of road trips to explore different areas is making me anxious. Currently in London, keen to get out. Thinking of a cottagey type house in a lively market town - maybe Yorkshire, maybe Norfolk, maybe Cotswolds, maybe Dorset, maybe Devon, the list goes on....wish a fairy godmother could wave a magic wand and we'd find ourselves installed! How did you decide?

grannybuy Sat 10-Aug-19 19:04:47

Also consider how each of you would cope on your own.

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 21:46:43

thanks seacliff, I hadn't thought about Devon being green because of rain...glad you are happily settled in Suffolk.

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 21:50:25

Nfkdumpling I quite like the gypsy plan!

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 21:53:07

Good luck Elliane, hope Devon works out for you.

grannysyb Sat 10-Aug-19 22:05:41

Both retired, staying put in SW London. DH no longer able to drive, and if I couldn't we would be able to cope as the station is down the road and we have good bus services which we don't have to pay for.Doctor just round the corner, theatres and cinemas in Richmond and Kingston. I love visiting the country but prefer living in town.

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 22:05:50

Hi jura2, glad my name made you laugh! It's just because I love bircher muesli! Thanks for the comments. I've just joined Gransnet and this was my first post, I'm not sure what I'm doing as regards replies, some people I've private messaged and others I'm posting comments but I'm not sure my comments are going in the right place to be seen by the intended recipients. I'll get the hang of it no doubt. I'm really appreciating all the words of wisdom, what a great community!

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 22:11:18

@evianers hmm, what is CH? Good luck with the packing cases!

boho43 Sat 10-Aug-19 22:15:19

Interesting to hear the comments about Cornwall. Very true about the hospitals, although funnily enough it was announced this week that our hospital in Truro is going to be extended, but this of course won’t be for a couple of years I would imagine.

We are retired, but are moving from Cornwall after to Somerset to be nearer family & far better transport links . Many small villages & towns within easy reach & free car parking.

Plus less rain - what a bonus that will be!

birchermuesli Sat 10-Aug-19 22:18:57

Thanks @jillybird that looks like a very systematic process you had for deciding, with great results.

Jani31 Sun 11-Aug-19 06:50:37

My youngest DD went through Devon on her way to Cornwall. It was shut, nothing open till May, Tescos was open till 4pm, it was a Sunday and then they found a pizza place for their dinner. I know that in my old home village, buses are 1 an hour, less on Sunday. They are lucky, one village has a bus 3 times a week!

mumofmadboys Sun 11-Aug-19 07:07:43

We retired to the Lake District 4 years ago and love it. In a town. Very active U3A. Lots going on -theatre, cinema, supermarkets, market all within walking distance. Fantastic walking. Down side - nearest hospital 30 miles away. We have no regrets and think it was one of our best life decisions( after marriage and kids that is!)

Witchypoo Mon 12-Aug-19 12:54:37

Hubby was able to retire at 65. So he did. I stayed at a job i really enjoyed until his dementia got that he couldnt be left alone. I retired then although had been getting my pension for quite a while. We stayed where we were as no family to worry about

GrandmaMoira Mon 12-Aug-19 14:59:17

I have moved recently from inner to outer London so I still have facilities near - shops, GP, transport but the area is quieter and greener. I don't drive and wouldn't want to be in a village. For those who say the roads are bad in Kent, I don't feel they are but if you are used to other parts of the country, the trains are very slow - it takes about 1 hr 30 minutes from my nearby station to do the 50 miles to the Kent coast.

Nonnie Mon 12-Aug-19 15:34:29

Can't see that anyone has answered about CH, I think it is Switzerland although I haven't checked the post.

mumof I think it is your attitude which has made it all work for you. You appear to have decided to like it, join in and not look back. Seems to me that is the best approach once the decision has been made.