Gransnet forums

House and home

Sorry, more bathroom advice needed!

(24 Posts)
phoenix Fri 06-Sep-19 18:08:18

Hello all, this should/will be the last thread started by me on this topic!

We like this look of this range: www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/brooklyn-black-combination-furniture-pack-1100mm-wide?FT=5013&pgno=1

Black cabinets, white sanitary ware, but can't decide on the paneling for the walls confused

The bathroom isn't that big, is North facing with a very small window. We are planning to panel 3 walls, leaving one that can be painted.

I think the choice is either

A) Go monochrome and have white/grey paneling, and add a touch (I refuse to use the designers favourite word of "pop") of colour in the towels etc and of course the unpaneled wall

or:

B) Have a warmer shade of paneling, shades of camel or the dreaded beige (which can work well with black, my "going to the races" coat is camel with a black velvet collar) and towels in black and camel.

My feeling it that the monochrome with splashes of colour may be more appealing when we come to sell (which we might have to in 2024) and if we kept it light in colour could make the room look bigger.

However, the beige/camel option could be warmer and more relaxing.

Thank you!

Jane10 Fri 06-Sep-19 18:25:56

Think of the winter. You'll not want a visually chilly bathroom? Go for soft warm tones. It's a place to relax...

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Sep-19 18:39:40

phoenix black maybe today's colour but there might be a problem when selling a few years down the line. I personally would not buy your house, really sorry.

It reminds me of avocado bathroom suites- definitely not today's colour.

cornergran Fri 06-Sep-19 18:49:49

It does look good Phoenix (we all like different things smile) but being a practical soul I wouldn't have black here as the water is very hard and the splashes would show terribly. Our bathroom is white and taupe with colour from the towels, green and orange until now but about to be changed for who knows what. I'm comfortable with our colours as they are calm, can always do with some calm. grin

phoenix Fri 06-Sep-19 18:53:04

Oh bum! No further forward, but thanks to those who posted.

But, Charleygirl you loved my kitchen wink

MawB Fri 06-Sep-19 18:58:47

I would look at grey - not too dark, maybe even slightly marbled, laid brick fashion and a mid grey floor.
You can always change the colour of any woodwork if you ever want too.
(Ps I would prefer dark slate grey to black if available)
DD3 and H have done their bathroom in monochrome, black fixtures,(taps, shower etc) white loo, white tile with black grouting, but that is hipster Walthamstow - looks fantastic.

Nanabilly Fri 06-Sep-19 19:01:21

My son and dil have black panelling in the shower room and it's too dark for my eyes on a bright dayand even worse in the evenings. Plus watermarks and soap marks mean it never looks clean.
Go for camel and black it's classy and timeless.

MawB Fri 06-Sep-19 19:03:39

I have a grey and white en suite shower room. Pale grey tiles (slightly marbled) everywhere so as to not have to paint!
White sanitary ware, light oak woodwork and dark grey slate floor. It is north facing but all it needs is bright red or lime green towels to pep it up.
I love monochrome.

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Sep-19 19:05:53

I did love your kitchen but I have to shower occasionally. I had forgotten about hard water but not knowing where you live I do not know if that is a problem for you now. A good job we each have different tastes.

Willow500 Fri 06-Sep-19 19:13:37

We have 2 bathrooms done with panelling - one is all white sparkle and the other is half black sparkle with the shower walls fully panelled. There is no window in the black one but the light is bright enough not to make the room look dark. I have navy towels in the black one and light blue in the other.

NotAGran55 Fri 06-Sep-19 19:14:59

I would go for grey too with the black/white combo you have chosen .

Septimia Fri 06-Sep-19 19:21:20

Our family bathroom had a navy blue suite and pale blue-grey tiles. It actually looked quite pretty but the suite was somewhat bashed about.

We got a new white suite, kept the tiles and found flooring that toned with them. Now when I walk in there it's much lighter and cleaner-looking.

I've added colour with purple towels, bathmat and other more decorative items.

I do find it's bit like walking into a mist with those colours, though.......

phoenix Fri 06-Sep-19 19:30:02

Soft water area, Charleygirl, but still get water marks on the shower screen.

MawB will definitely NOT be having tiles of any type, has to be paneling! (Although friends have tiles like the ones you describe, look great, but it will have to be panels here)

PS Thank you to all who have replied, it is appreciated.

annep1 Fri 06-Sep-19 19:36:40

We have beigey tiles totally covering wall and floor. White bath etc. Its very nice and we add colour in the towels mats containers etc.
But...if I was doing it now I would definitely choose monochrome.

Auntieflo Fri 06-Sep-19 22:14:39

We had our bathroom done about for years ago, after my TKR. It is a very small bathroom, so we kept white bath and basin, with units beneath, and large sandstone tiles, dark grout and a contrasting tile border, round the middle of the room, and on the window cill.
We found a bath that was lower to get into, and the chap who fitted it all , put in sliding doors, where the bath panel should be, making useful storage space. The shower is over the bath, with a four fold panel door.
I liked the flooring, which is a wood lookalike, click and lock type, and has worn well. The tall radiator, serves as a towel warmer, and is chrome to match the shower, and grab handle, that is by the shower.
We have a sky blue blind, with bird silhouettes, which I love, and so have been altogether pleased with our choice.

SpringyChicken Fri 06-Sep-19 22:18:54

Ours bathroom is fully tiled in pale grey and medium grey with an 6" band of metallic tiles on one wall running from floor to ceiling. Looks great with white towels, shower tray and basin. We wanted out bathroom to look more modern so avoided beige. The kids liked it so we must have done something right.
www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod41613/metallic-silver-modular-mosaic-tile.html

We use a window vac on the shower screen, no smears at all.

SpringyChicken Fri 06-Sep-19 22:19:34

Sorry for the typos

Luckygirl Fri 06-Sep-19 22:30:53

Blimey - all this colour coordination - I am well impressed. Perhaps you had better not visit my place!!

I actually think some of the towels were bought 40-odd years ago as I remember drying the children on the beach with them! And they sure as eggs ain't the same colours/patterns.

Luckygirl Fri 06-Sep-19 22:31:48

Vaccing smears off the shower screen!!! - I have heard it all now!

I take my hat off to all you houseproud people!

Luckygirl Fri 06-Sep-19 22:34:44

The right side of my laptop screen is now peppered with pictures of Phoenix's bathroom. I can reassure you that she is not in it! smile

Framilode Fri 06-Sep-19 22:38:01

I use a karcher vac on my shower screen and tiles as well. It only takes 2 minutes.

SpringyChicken Fri 06-Sep-19 23:07:10

They are good, aren't they, Framilode?

Willow500 Sat 07-Sep-19 06:31:20

I also use a window vac on the screen and walls and periodically use a powered brush on the screen to get the stubborn limescale off.

phoenix Sat 07-Sep-19 18:51:10

Went to the builders merchants earlier to see the panels in the "flesh" so to speak.

Mr P was very taken with Travertine, in the Multipanel range ( not as dark/ bright as it appears in the brochure or on the website) I'm still not sure............