Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone else put their heating on?

(136 Posts)
crystaltipps Thu 03-Oct-19 18:03:09

Yes I’m a southern softy but I put an extra jumper on and it’s still freezing so on goes the heating. Bliss!
Anyone else admitting to this ?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:04:40

1 hr morning and evening so far

Norah Thu 03-Oct-19 18:06:27

Yes, cold and damp in Bury, my heat is on

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 18:13:10

On all the time now, of course it only switches on if the temp drops, so really only mornings and late evenings.

Starblaze Thu 03-Oct-19 18:18:45

No.... I mean, it came on by itself but I definitely didn't touch the thermostat at all. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

MissAdventure Thu 03-Oct-19 18:21:07

Yes, I have just put it on.

Marmight Thu 03-Oct-19 18:26:00

Yes! Have the thermostat set at 15 & it turns itself on. I tweak it in the evening ++. House is very ol with no proper foundations so quite cold & damp in this weather. Brrrr

GillT57 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:32:13

Ours is 'on' all year, thermostat set, so if it is chilly in June one evening it comes on, and if we have a heatwave in March, it doesn't. It is getting more difficult to predict weather by the calendar, besides which, I hate being cold. We don't have it set very high though, as our house is very well insulated, no cold spots.

Izabella Thu 03-Oct-19 18:33:11

No, but the hot water is on.

Norah Thu 03-Oct-19 18:42:21

The thermostat is on, set at 20. In my old house with little insulation, the heat fires on with a small change to weather.

gillybob Thu 03-Oct-19 18:44:13

Mines on it’s freezing here in
the NE . Wish I had set the timer for coming in but I forgot . Shivering while I wait for it to warm up .

Charleygirl5 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:49:15

It has been so cold in my area of London today my heating has been on nearly all day.

It has been on for 3-4 hours each evening since the 30th of September. At this rate, I will be a block of ice in mid January.

After a shower, I go to bed with my 15 tog duvet and hot water bottle. I am a cold morsel.

Fairiesfolly Thu 03-Oct-19 18:52:52

Yes I have but it’s too stuffy to leave on all night, still having the occasional tropical vacation?. I’d rather layer up and have a blanket if it’s very cold or hot water bottle on my lap. OH doesn’t feel cold unless it is very very cold.

jusnoneed Thu 03-Oct-19 19:01:49

Nope, still have windows open all day. Short sleeves/skirt/bare feet. I follow my Gramphs example and no fire until at least November lol. My OH is usually the one who moans about the cold. We don't have central heating so have never got used to having hot rooms.
No duvet on my bed yet either, though he has winter one on his all year round.

Urmstongran Thu 03-Oct-19 19:16:22

No & still have the windows open. I like to be cosy and I’m warm - bare feet on the laminate flooring, a tee shirt and no long sleeves yet!

GillT57 Thu 03-Oct-19 19:17:32

Don't have the heating on overnight, that would be too much. I like a warm bed in a cool well ventilated room. The heating is not on very high, and we have a fire in the living room for colder evenings. Have started wearing slippers instead of flip flops now, so definitely getting cooler!

GillT57 Thu 03-Oct-19 19:18:19

Urm but you are in Spain aren't you? Getting a bit chilly here

Gonegirl Thu 03-Oct-19 19:20:32

Yes. Turned it up to 19 and a half today. Our house is so well insulated it doesn't cut in very easily, and then I feel cold. Makes no sense but there.

Had a extra convector heater on where I've been sitting too. Too much sitting I know, but I'm in pain.

Urmstongran Thu 03-Oct-19 19:20:58

No! Been back in Urmston Gill since 18 September! I can’t believe it’s so mild here to be honest.

Maggiemaybe Thu 03-Oct-19 19:58:42

Yes, we’ve given in today. Once it’s on, it’s on till Spring, so we try to hold out as long as we can. smile It just felt so cold this morning. We usually have it on all day at 16, going up to 18 in the evening. It’s off overnight.

Marydoll Thu 03-Oct-19 20:09:42

Ours has been in the morning and evening for weeks.
It's perishing here in Glasgow!

sodapop Thu 03-Oct-19 21:02:56

No heating yet, windows open most of the day but I did put my duvet on the bed today.

Luckygirl Thu 03-Oct-19 21:07:51

Mine is on now - and I have a long-sleeved T-shirt and two jumpers on. It is freezing here! Dreading the winter.

Purpledaffodil Thu 03-Oct-19 21:23:15

DH feels the cold massively. Heating on for several weeks set at 23 during the day and 20 at night. Oddly he’s from the NE of England and was prone to wearing tee shirts in November when I first met him more than 50 years ago. Now he’s a little hot house Southern flower ?

GillT57 Thu 03-Oct-19 21:24:08

Welcome home urm! It has been quite mild here too until today with cold sunshine and now rather wet and chilly. You do realise you are doing this the wrong way? You should be in Spain enjoying the late summer sun!!