Gransnet forums

House and home

How could this happen?!!!

(26 Posts)
Scentia Mon 07-Oct-19 19:13:23

I had my sofa cleaned today and it has MORE stains now than before. (It only has s litule one on the front!) What could possibly have happened here?
Photo 1 is actually BEFORE and photo 2 is 7 hours after the clean.

EllanVannin Mon 07-Oct-19 19:22:18

Could be in the material that it's made of.

Scentia Mon 07-Oct-19 19:25:24

Yes it is pure new wool and I picked this company as they said they could do this fabric properly. I am laughing but inside I am actually seething. It cost £100 to get it cleaned and it is horrible now. I wondered if someone may know about cleaning wool and if he has lied to me.

tanith Mon 07-Oct-19 19:28:26

Could you send him those pics and tell you expect him to put it right?

Scentia Mon 07-Oct-19 19:30:12

I have but he hasn’t replied. I will call him in the morning I think if he doesn’t reply to my e mail.

midgey Mon 07-Oct-19 19:45:08

Might it need to dry really thoroughly? Hopefully it will be better in the morning.

Chewbacca Mon 07-Oct-19 19:57:21

Looks to me as though the fabric has been made too wet during the cleaning process and the lining/backing fabric has leached through and stained the outer covering. The stains might not be so noticeable when its thoroughly dry but I think you'll end up with the outline of the stain still showing.

If he doesn't respond to your email or calls, write a formal letter, providing photographs of before and after, and give a deadline for him rectifying it.

Scentia Mon 07-Oct-19 20:34:12

I am going to leave it till morning and take another look, he has called and said the stains were there in the first place (and he told me he may not get them out apparently) I do hope they go as I can’t be bothered to start a massive row with him to get my money back as he doesn’t seem very customer focused?

Sara65 Mon 07-Oct-19 21:09:11

That’s really annoying, but possibly may look a lot better when completely dry,

I always find with carpets that have been cleaned, that initially they look great, and then the stains seem to reappear!

jaylucy Tue 08-Oct-19 10:51:27

If he doesn't come back and at least have another try at removing the stains, I believe you may well be within your rights to get another company to come and reclean or at least inspect the sofa.
Really don't believe that he told you beforehand that he may not be able to remove the stains - it is something that you would have remembered I'd have said.

Hazeld Tue 08-Oct-19 11:07:33

You do have evidence of what it looked like before he cleaned it so there can be no arguement surely? As you say, there are more now than there were before.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 08-Oct-19 11:10:18

Scentia
If its of any consolation the service you received concerning the cleaning of your sofa is covered by the Sale of Goods and Services Act .Look this up on the internet.
Keep all receipts and although taken a photograph take more.Do not get anyone else in other than for an opinion.Citizens advice are your port of call should you need to take action against the company who provided you with their cleaning services should they refuse to rectify the problem.Keep us informed.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 08-Oct-19 11:17:21

Scentia Do NOT touch the stain yourself and if the guy who came to remove it said it couldn't be removed why have touched it in the first place.?Make a note of this.

Hellsbelles Tue 08-Oct-19 11:35:20

How's the sofa today ?

Hellsbelles Tue 08-Oct-19 11:37:02

Oops sorry I opened this post very early this morning , and just sent the above post. Apologies ?

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 08-Oct-19 11:42:11

If you don't get this sorted to your satisfaction refer the situation to Trading Standards and tell the cleaner you're doing so or have done so. I found this worked wonders very quickly with a company who had not provided a satisfactory solution to a complaint I had raised.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 08-Oct-19 15:57:18

He said he would clean it he did:there are more stains than there were in first place, you need to contact trading standards you have before n after pics, I would give him a chance to refund your money if not I would go ahead with trading standards. Hopefully when fully dried it will look better good luck

Aepgirl Tue 08-Oct-19 16:00:57

The same answer as TrendyNannie6. Trading Standards should be contacted.

Scentia Tue 08-Oct-19 16:17:40

It is fully dry now and to be fair it isn’t as bad as last night, basically it looks exactly the same as before he came. My DH has said I should just leave it now, it didn’t need cleaning anyway, it just had a few stains on which were not that bad. I have put this one down to experience and left a poor feedback on his website purely about his rude behaviour and lack of customer service.

4allweknow Wed 09-Oct-19 00:06:12

Could it be the stains were there but blended in with the overall wear and tear of the sofa. Or could be patches that are a bit wetter than the rest and will disappear when dried. Was a spot remover applied. And, did he use the appropriate solvent for the material? Woukd be asking exactly what was used and checking out on internet for dry cleaning solvents etc.

GabriellaG54 Wed 09-Oct-19 02:20:07

You might have been better steam-cleaning it yourself.

rosecarmel Wed 09-Oct-19 04:17:23

My son had a hoodie that a friend got candle wax on- I laundered it in warm water then dried it normally in the dryer- It was covered in stains once dried- I laundered it again and let it air dry- No stains at all- After the next laundering I put it in the dryer again and the stains were once again visible- I laundered it again, let it air dry, and no stains were visible-

MandyFitz Thu 07-Nov-19 08:34:08

Hm, maybe the wrong chemical has been used. Anyway, I hope you haven't paid for this "cleaning"

jeanie99 Wed 13-Nov-19 17:35:30

Any news on the sofa?

Heling Fri 27-Dec-19 15:49:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.