Gransnet forums

House and home

Help! Which paint colour for dark hallway?

(31 Posts)
Tartlet Sat 26-Oct-19 14:52:04

Apologies if this has been done to death already, but I’d really appreciate any suggestions for a paint colour for our rather dark hall stairs and landing.

The decorator arrives on Monday and although I’m surrounded by tester pots and harlequin walls, I’m no nearer settling on a wall colour. He’ll be starting on the banisters first (painting them white instead of the yucky rather orange shade the original light oak colour has morphed into over the years) so I have a couple of days grace.

Many of the neutrals I’ve tried have pinky or lilac undertones which I don’t want and I don’t want grey but greige might be a possibility. The really dark gloomy days are making it impossible to tell what colours are really like.

I’m tempted by the F&B Joas White but would have to fork out for the proper stuff because I’ve had two tester copies done and they are not a good match.

I don’t really want anything too pale because I know from past experience that it ends up just looking wishy washy in what is quite a big space.

Another option might be to embrace the darkness by going fir a darker colour and, although I’ve not yet bought a tester, I like the look of Dulux caramel latte from photos I’ve seen anyway.

I don’t live near many places which sell the very small testers so have been having to pay £4-5 each for one if the trade size testers and the cost is getting ridiculous.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Elegran Sat 26-Oct-19 15:17:20

Dulux have a range of extra-light-reflective paints which are excellent for dark rooms. They can reflect up to twice the light. www.dulux.co.uk/en/products/dulux-light-space-matt

You can buy a Roller Tester online for Dulux paints, from £1.90ea + free delivery

lemongrove Sat 26-Oct-19 15:24:28

The automatic reaction most of us have, on wanting to lighten up a dark room is to go for white or magnolia, but when we bought our present house, a dark-ish north facing bedroom was painted white and looked dreary.We had it painted in what was called Willow, a light blue/green shade, and the whole room lit up! So keep the colour light-ish but go for a definite colour, nothing mushroomy/white or magnolia.

Pantglas2 Sat 26-Oct-19 15:39:37

A nice big mirror as well reflects any light, natural or artificial.

lemongrove Sat 26-Oct-19 15:43:31

True Pantglas also colourful artwork.

kittylester Sat 26-Oct-19 16:16:39

I'd go for a yellowy cream colour.

J52 Sat 26-Oct-19 16:45:04

We used Dulux space light, Sea Breeze in a dark space. It’s a lovely sea turquoise colour.

Tartlet Sat 26-Oct-19 16:49:59

That’s the kind of colour I’m replacing. I think part of the problem is that most of the colours I’ve tried just look drab against it. I can’t even redo it the same because it’s no longer available and the last decorator bunged a bit of magnolia into the second coat to tone it down a bit.

Unfortunately I haven’t got time to order any posters by post. I look like making a trip to Homebase at Sheffield tomorrow if I decide to get more testers.

Will have a look at Willow Elegran.

My daughter has given me a lovely big mirror she doesn’t want any more so I’ll certainly take up your suggestion Pantglas2.

kittylester Sat 26-Oct-19 17:29:01

When we were redecorating our dining room which also have the stairs leading to a large landing in them, we eventually tried 14 tester pots.

Starnow Sat 26-Oct-19 17:46:21

Does the colour need to go with carpet or tone with the rooms leading off the staircase? Joas white or maybe Skimming stone are lovely if you want to be neutral but have a look, if you haven't already, at Light Blue (also F&B) which is very classy with white and is not really either light or blue! There are some pictures of user's rooms on the Farrow and ball website which may provide inspiration. Good luck - it's a minefield.

Scribbles Sat 26-Oct-19 18:35:30

I love the Dulux Light & Space "Lemon Spirit". My hallway will be repainted with this next spring. Mirrors help, too - anywhere you can safely add them.

SpringyChicken Sat 26-Oct-19 18:50:41

We've painted our hall, stairs and landing yellow, 'Pendle' from Brewer's own range. It's certainly not wishy nor too 'in your face'. We have white woodwork, oatmeal carpet and an oak staircase and all look lovely against the yellow walls. We have two large mirrors , one in the hall, one half way up the stairs.

lemongrove Sat 26-Oct-19 20:52:12

That sounds lovely Springy ?

glammanana Sat 26-Oct-19 21:00:03

Definately lemon with large mirrors enhanced if possible with an oversized glass chandelier if there is space to hang from ceiling it will bounce light around.

Coolgran65 Sat 26-Oct-19 21:00:57

I have also used Sea Breeze. Love it.

MiniMoon Sat 26-Oct-19 21:02:29

My hall has only one small window, and is quite dark. We painted it a pale yellow which brightened it up.

SpringyChicken Sat 26-Oct-19 21:03:48

Thanks, Lemongrove. ?

Grammaretto Sat 26-Oct-19 21:56:55

We painted a rather dark room Georgian Green - very pale Olive. It has always looked good perhaps because it makes us think of olden times when houses were darker!
Mind you the National Trust have copied us over the years so it may look hackneyed now. grin
I would go with a light neutral and a mirror too and good lighting
Whatever you do, don't do what I once did and paint the room really dark for the cosy look. It was oppressive and hard to lighten.

Miche Sat 26-Oct-19 22:14:18

We have F&B Mizzle in our hallway it’s lovely

phoenix Sat 26-Oct-19 22:18:35

"Cream" can be a very difficult colour to get right! Some are too yellowish, others can be either too cool, or some have pink undertones (such as the dreaded Magnolia)

After a lot of trial and error, Dulux Ivory seems to work well, we have used the "Easy Care" finish, which is pretty tough and any marks wipe off.

If you are looking for more of a colour, but still want something fairly neutral, then "Crispy Crumble"(Dulux again) has worked well in our South facing sitting room. It actually looks like a sort of grey/green.

Colours will look different in different lights, a colour I loved in a friends house, which looked like a soft grey, when I tried a tester in the room I was decorating seemed to be an ice blue!

Tartlet Sun 27-Oct-19 12:11:23

Just to say thank you to everyone for their suggestions. I think I've settled on Joa's White and will buy the proper stuff since Homebase have a good offer on F&B at the moment. I've reserved the paint so only need to make the short trip to fetch it tomorrow.

Unless the decorator throws up his hands in horrow at the though of F&B ......

varian Sun 27-Oct-19 12:48:00

There is no other colour that reflects light anywhere near as much as pure brilliant white.

oldgimmer1 Sun 27-Oct-19 13:51:50

White can look dingy in a dark space, though.

Go dark! Very dark. smile

Davida1968 Sun 27-Oct-19 13:54:57

Our hall is painted in a very soft lemon: this makes the most of the available light. We have not regretted this colour choice.

Tartlet Mon 28-Oct-19 22:47:01

Have now got the F&B and decorator quite happy.

Oldgimmer1, I painted it a dark raspberry once and although I liked it, I couldn’t deny that it looked better when it was later done a paler colour.