Gransnet forums

House and home

Advice needed for cleaning wood floors

(27 Posts)
Grammaretto Thu 07-Nov-19 09:32:49

Having recently had 2 floors sanded I now want to know how to keep them looking beautiful!
The professional who sanded the living room advised against washing the floor as the water was bad for wood. What am I supposed to use? I can vacuum it but it will get dirty.
He put a couple of coats of varnish on.
The other floor, which we sanded ourselves, we treated to a coat of osmo wood wax. It's a bedroom so won't get so dirty but I would rather not damage the wood.
What would you do?

Cherrytree59 Thu 07-Nov-19 09:46:02

I use Bona mop.
It squirts small amount Bona solution on to floor and is wiped off with removable pad attached to mop.
2 types of solution
Wood floor
Laminate floor.
I buy from Amazon smile

Gonegirl Thu 07-Nov-19 09:50:29

Depends whether the varnish was waterproof.

Usual thing is to use a liquid floor polish/cleaner. I use HG liquid natural wax for parquet and wood. Brings it up a treat but it's a right old chore. (I have parquet)

My daughter on the other hand has a modern wooden floor and would never polish anything in a month of Sundays. Her's always looks good.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Nov-19 09:54:52

I like the look of Cherrytree's Bona mop.

merlotgran Thu 07-Nov-19 09:54:56

I use a Bona mop as well. I also have a Dyson 'fluffy' vacuum cleaner and the fluffy roller helps keep a shine on the wood.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Nov-19 09:55:38

I would try one of those but I've got a cupboardful of mops and daren't bring another one into the house.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Nov-19 09:56:59

Tempted though.

DoraMarr Thu 07-Nov-19 10:01:26

I have engineered wood floors, and I use a Vax steam cleaner. The floor looks good, with a sort of satin shine. It’s ten years old and a bit scratched, but I think that adds to its charm.

Ellianne Thu 07-Nov-19 10:01:26

To clean I squirt Method for wood floors and mop it into the wood. It's available in most supermarkets. It has almond oil in it to treat the wood and smells lovely.
When we lived in France we used a wood floor cleaner with savon de Marseille in it and it was brilliant. I think you can buy it on Amazon called Carolin or something.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 07-Nov-19 10:02:05

I have a wood floor and Bona mops and cleaners seem to be the ones recommended. Ours is vac'd frequently but not washed often, and only dampended as Cherrytree59 describes. The treatment for varnished or oiled floor is quite different. Ours is oiled and needs re oiling periodically, ie every 3 years or so. Really easy to look after.

Grammaretto Thu 07-Nov-19 10:48:53

Thankyou so much! I am sure I will find something that won't damage the floor.
DS recommended the osmo wax. He says he hasn't had to renew it yet and it's 3 yrs old.
What are we like - showing off our wooden floors! grin

We had to lift our carpets because of moths but I'm happy we did.

Callistemon Thu 07-Nov-19 11:17:05

Ellianne I may look out for the Method wood floor cleaner, thanks for the tip.

Grannyknot Thu 07-Nov-19 11:17:19

Grammaretto we have wooden floors in the house throughout the ground floor, I love it, it's bamboo. I was told on installation** to mop it with a slightly dampened (not wet) mop and use nothing else and 12 years later it still always looks good.

**by my husband who installed it! grin

Callistemon Thu 07-Nov-19 11:19:36

Please send him round to ours Grannyknot grin

We have one wooden floor but the rest is laminate and i-d like it changed.

Callistemon Thu 07-Nov-19 11:19:59

Auto correct again

J52 Thu 07-Nov-19 11:53:01

I use antibacterial floor wipes. I bought a ‘mop’ thing from Wilko that they attach to. Seems to do the job on my oak floors.

Grannyknot Thu 07-Nov-19 11:58:11

Callistemon smile - he used to do a lot for other people but as he has got older he has become a bit lazy and will only do for us! grin

The only thing with the bamboo floors is that they are soft so scratch quite easily. But I found the best fix ever online after one particularly deep scratch, I swear this works a charm and I didn't expect it:

TO FIX SCRATCHES ON WOODEN FLOORS
Smear good quality full fat mayonnaise on the scratch and leave for half an hour. Wipe up excess and give it a good shine (no polish) with a duster. Miraculous! I can only think that the oil expands the scratch and the egg sorts out the colour.

Disclaimer: I've only tried it on my own floors

merlotgran Thu 07-Nov-19 12:11:47

I've got a cupboardful of mops and daren't bring another one into the house.

Oh, memories of clearing out my mother's bungalow when she went into a care home. DH said he'd never seen so many mops and the buckets to go with them. grin

Mops, mops, glorious mops,
Some with spare mop heads and buckets for slops,
So follow me follow
Indulge in my hollow
But nostalgic wallow for gloooooorious mops!

Callistemon Thu 07-Nov-19 15:06:17

Grannyknot
I am laughing until I'm choking about the mayonnaise remedy!!

Leaves the floor so clean that you could eat your salad off it grin

Gonegirl Thu 07-Nov-19 15:51:25

Yeah! That's me merlot. Don't you have a thing for cleaning implements? confused grin

Not that they get used very often. shock

annep1 Thu 07-Nov-19 16:15:29

Merlotgran brilliant! ?

I also have an array of dusters. And packets of wipes for every area ( yes I know its environmentally bad.)

Grannyknot Thu 07-Nov-19 16:17:32

Callistemon smile. But it's to repair scratches in the wood, not to clean the floor! I had an image of an entire floor covered in mayonnaise ... grin

Nonnie Thu 07-Nov-19 17:15:14

Our oak floor was laid in 1938 and does very well with floor wipes. Quick and easy. Recommended by our neighbour who does the same.

Isn't there vinegar in Mayo? Wouldn't that harm the floor?

Callistemon Thu 07-Nov-19 18:08:26

I'm going to squirt some on to a scratch which I can see on our beech floor - I've tried all kinds of things but there is still a visible mark.

Off for the Hellman's
Does it matter if it's past it's best before date? grin

Patsy70 Thu 07-Nov-19 19:32:43

So funny Merlotgran & Grannyknot smile

I vacuum and use Method, which works on our oiled engineered oak floors. I might also look at the Carolin on Amazon, and will also try the mayonnaise tip on scratches (not low fat, obviously!)