Gransnet forums

House and home

Warm Front Heating Allowance, a little reminder.

(26 Posts)
bikergran Thu 07-Nov-19 22:43:20

Just a little reminder for those that are not yet eligible for the Heating Allowance.

Its time to apply for the "Warm Front Allowance" £140.00

You have to have less than £16,000 annual income.

There are other categories you may fall in to (bad health etc)

Its easy to apply on line, you just need your customer number.

Lots of people don't know about this Allowance.

At least its something towards your heating.

fizzers Thu 07-Nov-19 22:44:48

I have claimed this for the past two years, it's a Godsend

crazyH Thu 07-Nov-19 22:47:08

Thanks Bikergran - wonder if I'll be entitled - I have lung problems.

crazyH Thu 07-Nov-19 22:48:12

What's a customer number, please ?

fizzers Thu 07-Nov-19 22:50:37

@crazyH on your bill, you have a customer or account number

bikergran Thu 07-Nov-19 23:01:23

crazyH Claim it anyway, they will let you know if your not entitled to it.

Just choose your supplier, it takes you through it step by step.

Read through the categories and see if any apply to you.

You can always ring and they will guide you through it if you don't want to apply on line.(not sure if anyone is there at weekends)

I have had it for few years now, mine usually just suddenly appears as credit on my heating bill (its a lovely surprise) ;)

Once you apply they normally send you a confirmation email. But if you ring I seem to think you don't hear anything, it just appears on your bill.

annep1 Fri 08-Nov-19 05:13:40

Thanks.

Whiff Fri 08-Nov-19 05:49:52

Thank you for the info. Never heard about. Wonder if I would be able to get. I don't work, have health problems and am 61. I don't receive any form of benefit or pension.

MamaCaz Fri 08-Nov-19 07:43:37

First of all, I suggest that look online to see if your energy company even participates in the scheme. Only those with over a certain number of customers have to, but even then, some only offer it to the 'core' group (such as those on pension credit).

Twice now, I've managed to get it for my elderly mother (who's not eligible for Pension Credit) based on her age/income, but couldn't get it for her last year when she was with Eon, as their criteria were much more limiting.

MamaCaz Fri 08-Nov-19 07:48:30

Though I thought it was called the Warm Home Discount scheme?

Whiff Fri 08-Nov-19 09:06:04

Spoke to my energy supplier. They do it but I don't have any benefits or pension. There in no label to what is wrong with me apart from my heart continue which has its label. I live on what my husband left me it will last until I get my pension at 66 as long as I am careful. Because I don't have a label I have never been able to claim any benefits therefore I can't get this allowance or any.

maddyone Fri 08-Nov-19 09:16:55

Is this allowance for anyone with health problems? I’ve never heard of it before. My 92 year old mother isn’t on Pension Credit but has many health issues. Would we be able to claim it for her?

maddyone Fri 08-Nov-19 09:17:44

She does qualify on income though, less than £16,000

maddyone Fri 08-Nov-19 09:18:56

I think I’ve misunderstood. If you get the heating allowance that comes with pension, can you apply for this?

blondenana Fri 08-Nov-19 09:25:30

Yes you can it is a different thing, you don't need to be a pensioner, you can get it if you have disability benefits, not sure if you can get it if not on benefits of some kind though,
I get it automatically as long as my energy supplier is in the scheme

MamaCaz Fri 08-Nov-19 10:04:11

As I said- it depends on your supplier.

The participating ones only have to give this discount to the 'core group' (those getting the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit.) As I understand it, it is then entirely up to them whether to make this discount available to anyone else - the so-called 'broader group' - and what criteria to set. The two who payed it to my elderly mum were First Utility and British Gas, whereas Eon had different criteria, that ruled her out.
But the criteria can change from year to year, too.

If you are over a certain age, don't get the relevant Pension Credit, but have an income under £1600, it is worth inquiring about this when choosing a new supplier.
Similarly, even if you do get Pension Credit and already get this, check whether a potential new supplier is part of the scheme before changing, or at least see if losing the payment still makes the move worth it!

mcem Fri 08-Nov-19 10:54:08

If income is less than £16000 isn't she entitled to Pension Credit?

FarNorth Fri 08-Nov-19 11:03:46

Info here

www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme

MamaCaz Fri 08-Nov-19 11:07:25

mcem

If income is less than £16000 isn't she entitled to Pension Credit?

Her income would have to be -way- below that to be eligible for PC.
Even then, savings can rule it out.

maddyone Fri 08-Nov-19 11:13:49

Thank you everyone for your responses, I’ll look into it for her now.

Countrylife Sat 09-Nov-19 07:43:33

Never heard of this so will check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

BlueBelle Sat 09-Nov-19 07:48:13

My income is well less than £16,000 a year but I don’t get pension credit as I ve put some money in a savings pot for if I need care in the future I m presuming that would knock me out the equation wouldn’t it ?

MamaCaz Sat 09-Nov-19 09:02:17

Bluebell

If those savings are over, roughly, £16,000, then yes, they would almost certainly rule you out of Pension Credit, but those savings wouldn't make you ineligible for Warm Home Discount if you were with one of the companies that opens it up to people on grounds of age and/or income. The two that have given it to my mum haven't asked about savings at all!

MamaCaz Sat 09-Nov-19 09:11:05

Warning - the Warm Home Discount is only available on a limited, first come-first served basis to those in the 'broader' group.

Applications can usually be made from September each year, and i have read previously that some companies have allocated their maximum by November, so don't hang around if you intend to apply!
(Though it was March before I put in one of Mum's claims, and she still got it)

annsixty Sat 09-Nov-19 10:05:26

My friend has a very low income but has a large amount of savings, left to her as an inheritance.
She gets the warm home discount and has done for about 4 years, I don’t know her supplier.
I will ask when I see her.