Gransnet forums

House and home

computer chairs

(32 Posts)
Fennel Sun 01-Dec-19 11:48:09

I've been using a wooden chair with arms and backrest, upholstered seat.
We used to have a tiled floor, but now carpeted, so it needs to be lifted before moved back. Once again I've tried to push back and the chair toppled over backwards. The backrest has been mended so many times, probably now unmendable.
So I'm looking for a new chair.
Any recommendations? Most I've seen are on wheels, but I think that could be risky for me, with age-related balance problems.

Fennel Tue 10-Dec-19 15:30:40

Thanks again, Gonegirl. We went to IKEA yesterday and I'm now sitting comfortably in my new chair as in your link.
It gives good lower back support, and not expensive. I can spin round and get up and down safely (I hope).
I was amazed by IKEA (Gateshead Metro Centre). I used to go there years ago but it has expanded so much, you could spend the whole day there. And the nights too, many cosy beds.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 15:51:31

I'm so glad Fennel. We are sharing the same chair (IYSWIM) smile

It was my son who came up with it for me. I wouldn't have thought of going to Ikea for a 'puter chair.

Resurgam123 Thu 12-Dec-19 14:33:04

Fennel its good to have one that is right. Mine is the most comfortable I have had.
I had to buy mine for home use.
On bad back days it is all I can sit in.

Jane10 Thu 12-Dec-19 17:01:14

My computer chair was my Grandad's. He taught me to write while sitting on his knee on it. I'm still writing seated on the chair 60+ years later.
I suppose it's a 1920s chair. Semi circular back which is wooden but just right somehow and with a very long/ deep seat. It is so comfortable and suits me very well. Thanks again and for so many happy memories Grandad!

craftyone Mon 16-Dec-19 17:13:52

I lounge on a recliner with a laptop on my knee but I do have a computer chair in my sewing room as I have a desk for my overlocker. The office chair is adjustable in all ways and very comfortable and I took the pullout keboard shelf away. The chair is on castors on laminate and moves too easily, so I put a short pile rug underneath it. I got one with 5 feet and back adjustments. A normal chair was just too low

M0nica Mon 16-Dec-19 17:43:30

We use office mats on our engineered laminate floor to stop the wheels making dents in the floor.