Gransnet forums

House and home

Do you have an Oxo Good Grips potato peeler and are you terrified of it?

(54 Posts)
lucywinter Wed 01-Jan-20 12:15:50

Had one given to me for Chrustmas. (Yes, I know hmm) and have just sliced off pqrt of a fingernail.

Lunch may be off for today, unless I am rescued.

'scuse typing #wounded

Fennel Wed 01-Jan-20 12:40:37

I've looked up yours, it's similar to mine which I'm also wary of.
I used to keep it in a drawer with other kitchen knives etc, but cut myself on it so many times when rummaging for something.
So now I keep it separate, and I'm very careful, it's so sharp. But does the job well.

Yehbutnobut Wed 01-Jan-20 12:43:12

Oh no! Get rescued soon xx

Niobe Wed 01-Jan-20 12:58:41

Oh , I was going to buy one before Xmas but held off. Will rethink now.

Baggs Wed 01-Jan-20 13:00:32

Yes, I have one. Well, two actually. One is the 'normal' sort and the other, D-style, is better for carrots.

Both are lovely and sharp, which is why I like them. In my experience blunt kitchen knives, which slip, cause more injuries than sharp ones.

Hope you are recovering well, lucyw.

pinkquartz Wed 01-Jan-20 13:00:58

I have had one of these for 10 years. All my helpers, friends and carers use it.
It moves fast you soon learn to be careful and then it is brilliant.

MiniMoon Wed 01-Jan-20 13:07:21

I've got a similar one in my kitchen drawer. It is very sharp, I've given myself more than one unexpected manicure.
I do use mine, but not for potatoes. I usually peel carrots and parsnips with it, they are not so round and knobbly.

Alexa Wed 01-Jan-20 13:15:48

AIBU to never peel but simply cut the eyes off with my knife?

Teetime Wed 01-Jan-20 13:19:56

I just bought myself one yesterday haven't tried it yet.

kittylester Wed 01-Jan-20 13:40:18

The standard one is fine. I've had one for years but I cant cope with any other sort of potato peeler anyway.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 14:42:49

Is it the D shaped one?
I can't get on with those

We do have one, different make (bought overseas from a camping exhibition) which is a straight and right-left handed but so sharp I tend to cut myself on it. I leave that one for DH to use.

Who gave it to you? If you pay them 1p for the peeler and don't accept it as a gift then you won't cut off your friendship.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 14:43:33

the one I cut myself on is a swivel one as well.
I prefer non-swivel!!

Nanagem Wed 01-Jan-20 15:37:34

I have the y shaped one, love it, very sharp

phoenix Wed 01-Jan-20 16:17:01

Do you mean this one?

Love mine, can be used by left or right handed people, great for carrots, potatoes, parsnips! Takes very thin peelings.

Ellianne Wed 01-Jan-20 16:21:14

I've got that one too. It does the job perfectly for me.

lucywinter Wed 01-Jan-20 18:57:36

Callistemon son gave it to me. Along with a lavvie seat. Bless. ?

Just like that phoenix. Shan't stop using it. Takes more than a missing fingernail to put me off.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 19:35:42

Lovely, lucywinter

Give him a 5p piece asap!

ElaineI Wed 01-Jan-20 22:21:15

No but have a lethal OXO grater which I have sliced finger on and will never use again! Back to my old one which is from Next!

Chewbacca Wed 01-Jan-20 22:26:38

I always use a Lancashire peeler; they're the only ones that I can use without severing digits. In 2019, I bought, and inadvertently threw away with the peelings, 4 such peelers. I'm reluctant to pay more than a couple of quid each at that rate.

MamaCaz Wed 01-Jan-20 22:33:51

I buy that sort, and like them.

The only trouble we have had with them is that they seem to turn invisible after a couple of months - either that, or one of us keeps unintentionally throwing them in the bin.
Either way, I keep having to buy replacements. I started buying them in very bright colours, hoping that would solve the problem, but they still keep disappearing!

MamaCaz Wed 01-Jan-20 22:36:05

I've just seen your post, Chewbacca - it seems we have a similar problem ?

Gemini1789 Wed 01-Jan-20 22:44:31

I love mine too . I bought a pair of Kevlar gloves on line . They’re made of the same stuff as bulletproof vests. I don’t wear them for this peeler but I do for that other instrument of torture the mandoline. No injuries so far.

annep1 Wed 01-Jan-20 23:10:56

I always use a paring knife for potatoes. Much easier. Potato peelet is kept for carrots and parsnips.

phoenix Wed 01-Jan-20 23:11:27

Chewbacca never been able to get on with the Lancashire peelers, perhaps because I'm left handed?

Anyway, will stick with the one shown up there ^^

Chewbacca Wed 01-Jan-20 23:24:22

But are you a Lancashire lass Phoenix? If you're not.... that's why you struggle with 'em! grin