Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing machine and soda crystals - astonishing!

(53 Posts)
Witzend Thu 02-Jan-20 10:45:22

I recently vowed to finally stop using the gel pods - apart from the plastic I always found the boxes a right PITA to open.

On another forum someone who evidently knows what he’s talking about, said that they gum up the machine and that in any case most of us use far too much of whichever detergent, which builds up and makes laundry feel rough.

He recommended a very hot wash with just soda crystals, adding that the machine would foam up a lot, probably more than once, because of all the residue.

I put my machine on a 90 deg wash with just soda crystals maybe 20 mins ago, and the amount of foam is absolutely astonishing!

So I shall repeat, maybe with white towels, since he says that they will come out whiter and softer than before.

In future it’s going to be powder (from a cardboard box) and rather less than I’d normally have used, with some soda crystals added.

I dare say other GNers were aware of all this, but it’s been a bit of a revelation to me!

jusnoneed Thu 02-Jan-20 10:50:45

I use liquid detergent but usually less than the measure advised, never softener, and occasionally add soda to my towel or bedding wash. Helps keep the machine and the drain
clean.

polnan Thu 02-Jan-20 10:52:53

glad I found this thread, thankyou

I have used soda crystals , in the past, as a sort of cleaner.

for the washing machine that is

so , at the moment I use liquid sp... think the powder stuff clings to some clothes? I don`t do a hot wash... very rarely,
my towels are rough, I like rough towels, not soft ones, so that`s o.k.

so I think I may try this again, thanks Witzend... need to economise as well as rid of plastic, and my sp is in a rather large plastic bottle..
wow. never realised...

Davida1968 Thu 02-Jan-20 10:54:16

Thanks for the soda crystals tip, which I'll try. Our household uses the Eco washing liquid - we take the bottle to the supermarket refill it. (We also have a "back-up bottle so don't run out.) I'm trying really hard to cut down on plastic.

MawB Thu 02-Jan-20 10:56:30

I never liked the way the powder used to gunge up the drawer in my machine so I will stick with liquid or pods but the soda crystals are a good idea. I also use Calgon - when I remember!

HootyMcOwlface Thu 02-Jan-20 11:01:35

How much soda crystals do you put in?

Niobe Thu 02-Jan-20 11:04:58

Witzend, like you I have gone back to powder in a cardboard box to cut down on plastic use . I always put the powder into the drum, never the drawer.
I have only once bought pods and gave those up when I kept finding the slimey remains of the pod stuck to the clean laundry.

pen50 Thu 02-Jan-20 11:07:29

I use an eco liquid but I do also use anti lime tablets (not Calgon though, too expensive!)

My white sheets go through a boil wash which I think helps to keep the machine fresher. Almost everything else is done at 30°.

aggie Thu 02-Jan-20 11:12:04

I started putting the powder in the drum rather than the drawer and really notice that the gunge has gone from the drawer . I use vinegar instead of softner , no smell and the wash is soft

Baggs Thu 02-Jan-20 11:16:25

I use only soda crystals. What varies is the heat of the water depending on what is being washed. Soda crystals plus the right temperature of water cleans everything. Keeps your drains clean too.

MerylStreep Thu 02-Jan-20 11:17:01

Calgon is only an expensive form of crystals. Very clever form of marketing ?

Grandma2213 Thu 02-Jan-20 11:22:15

I've gone back to powder but even when dissolved in warm water it clogs up the drawer. At least it's not black gunge that I used to get with the liquid. I might try putting the powder in the drum.
Do the soda crystals go in the drum or the drawer and do they work with a 30 degree wash? I use them with boiling water to clean the kitchen sink and drain.

bingo12 Thu 02-Jan-20 11:36:43

I never wash at 90 degrees.

Witzend Thu 02-Jan-20 11:53:42

That wash is finished. I’ve now put a ditto on, with just a couple of white towels, which are supposed to come out whiter and softer. I hope so, since the only way I’ve usually been able to make them non-crunchy for guests, is to tumble dry them. Which obviously I’d prefer not to do.

Dh’s socks always come out ‘crunchy’ - I’ve noticed that some new ones he had for Christmas were still soft after first wash, so presumably it’s at least partly the build-up.

In future shall do normal washes of socks etc. with just a small amount of powder (in the drum) and crystals in the drawer. Will be interesting to see whether it de-crunches the socks!

Witzend Thu 02-Jan-20 11:56:10

Bingo12, the 90 deg wash - with crystals only - was advised for cleaning the machine of the build up of detergent residue/gunge from pods or fabric softener.

Witzend Thu 02-Jan-20 11:58:07

Hooty, I put in just a small cupful, a bit less than a normal mug.

FlexibleFriend Thu 02-Jan-20 12:27:57

I don't and won't use powder as it never dissolves properly. I use liquid put straight into the drum. I have a new machine less than a week old so it doesn't need cleaning. The instructions said before doing any washing to put it on a 90 degree wash with a small amount of liquid. Fab I was left with suds coming out of everywhere imaginable. I won't be following that advice again that's for sure. My washing is never hard and I don't use softener so see no reason to change.

Septimia Thu 02-Jan-20 12:38:43

I use powder, but straight into the drum - if I put it in the dispenser it just sits there. I use less than I used to and no longer use softener as it didn't seem to make any difference anyway.

Shall try giving the machine a clean out with soda crystals - maybe that will help to make sure that towels don't come out like cardboard!

Alexa Thu 02-Jan-20 12:39:32

Yes, I give the machine an enema with pure washing soda from time to time. My machine does not do 90 and I find 60 degrees is sufficient to freshen it up. I do a follow up machine. clean using thick bleach in the water, just to be on the safe side.

PamGeo Thu 02-Jan-20 12:47:12

Thanks for the post, I've used washing soda to clean the machine occasionally but I'll give it a go for regular washing. Any tips for the dishwasher ?

TerriBull Thu 02-Jan-20 12:49:58

I've got a fairly new washing machine, thank you for the tip, I'll try it before the gunge builds up.

midgey Thu 02-Jan-20 12:57:39

A friend of ours was a washing machine repair man, he has always advised using soda crystals in the hottest possible wash with an empty drum monthly.

nanaK54 Thu 02-Jan-20 13:31:29

Great tip, thank you, will add soda crystals to my shopping list and give it a go

lemongrove Thu 02-Jan-20 13:39:39

Because the machine was becoming smelly ( in spite of keeping the det drawer clean, )I went back to powder.
Results.....a pleasant scent from the machine and cleaner clothes (stains gone).
The gunk from liquids and gels can’t be great for the machine.
I use Sainsbury own powder ( bio) and am very happy I made the switch.
Soda crystals are a good old fashioned thing to use, yes, a hot wash to clear in the machine or with very hot water down the sink/drain.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 02-Jan-20 14:22:24

I use bio powder but far less than recommended with some soda crystals. I think advice to wash everything at 30 degrees these days means that the washer is never really sterilised, or powder dissolved.
I also use distilled vinegar occasionally, especially with towels, which are washed at 60degrees.
My washer is still going strong after 13 years and never needed attention.
I also use soda crystals occasionally down sinks and in shower to keep them clear.