Gransnet forums

House and home

Boxt boiler company

(28 Posts)
starshine Mon 27-Jan-20 11:29:33

Good morning all.
We need to replace our ancient boiler this coming Spring and the search is on for a decent supplier. I have had some local recommendations but I have heard that Boxt are very competitive with their quotes. I realise they sub contract the work to local plumbers but wondered whether any of you have first hand experience of using the company. Also have to decide between a combi boiler or a straight replacement for our standard boiler with its hot water tank but installers will advise me I presume.
Hope you can help - it's going to be our biggest expense in a long time!

jo1book Mon 27-Jan-20 11:38:36

Just had a Baxi boiler (£2359 approx, for boiler and fitting) because we didn't want new radiators, so minimum disruption. Be careful of complete new systems like a combi because it may entail different copper pipes that up the bill.
Sorry, know nothing of Boxt.

Auntieflo Mon 27-Jan-20 11:47:21

We have had a Vaillant new boiler, for about 4 years now, and have been very pleased with it.
Bosch also have a good name.

Marydoll Mon 27-Jan-20 11:51:14

We had a Vokera boiler and it lasted only four years, before we gave up on it. It gave us nothing but bother, fault after fault. An expensive mistake.
We now have a Worcester Bosch, it's like night and day and so efficient.

starshine Mon 27-Jan-20 12:23:47

Thank you all for the speedy responses ? I am taking notes!

Yes we want the easiest solution so sounds like a straight replacement is what's needed. We also need thermostatic valves fitting as our hall is ridiculously hot whereas the lounge is cooler!

MiniMoon Mon 27-Jan-20 13:10:35

We had a new baxi boiler 2 years ago. Bought from a builders merchant and installed by a local gas fitter/plumber. We are been very happy with it so far.

Cabbie21 Mon 27-Jan-20 13:24:53

We had a Bosch combi to replace an ancient standard type. Best decision ever. An additional bonus or downside, depending how you look at it, is that you don’t need a hot water tank, so we had it removed as it was redundant, and turned the space into storage. This meant no airing cupboard which might be a downside for you, though not for us.

Callistemon Mon 27-Jan-20 13:31:34

We have a newish Worcester boiler and opted for a system boiler. As the tank needed replacing this might seem contrary, but I do like to have an airing cupboard so we chose a larger h/w tank.
We also had thermostats fitted to existing radiators so unused bedrooms can be put on a low setting.

I've not heard of Boxt.

starshine Mon 27-Jan-20 15:00:23

jolbook the quote you hasdseems very reasonable! For those who haven't heard of Boxt - I noticed an advert on the television.

starshine Mon 27-Jan-20 15:00:50

had seems!

FlexibleFriend Mon 27-Jan-20 15:25:36

I had a new vaillant boiler fitted about 18 months ago, the pump and filter were replaced at the same time for £2500 I kept my hot and cold cylinders. That price included everything including 10 year warranty and 10 years annual servicing. We used Impragas who have very mixed reviews but I found them excellent.

Hetty58 Mon 27-Jan-20 15:36:40

Worcester Bosch, new last year, existing pipes were fine, 10 year guarantee, very reliable.

M0nica Mon 27-Jan-20 17:32:33

When we needed a new boiler, we got the company that does all our boiler servicing to do it. They are a local firm (offices a couple of hundred yards away) and have been servicing our boilers since we moved here, over 20 years ago.

We replaced a Worcester Bosch boiler with a - Worcester Bosch boiler.

jo1book Tue 28-Jan-20 15:31:03

This was definitely the price paid last week for replacement Baxi boiler. We used a local firm (incidentally Butco quoted £3,500 but with a Worcester and some new piping) recommended by my son. Delighted with job with good quick clean workmen. Where do you live Starshine?

starshine Tue 28-Jan-20 15:55:08

These figures are giving me hope - thank you all. jolbrook I am in the north east. I am going to have some companies round to quote in early February.

starshine Tue 28-Jan-20 15:55:48

jolbook sorry!

MerylStreep Tue 28-Jan-20 16:25:12

Worcester Bosch hands down every time.

jo1book Tue 28-Jan-20 21:21:06

My son had a Worcester fitted for £2,500. It's about the same price as Baxi but you have to make sure it fits your space. We needed a boiler to fit a specific area (Cupboard in cloakroom) so bear this is mind. He had 7 radiators to heat while we had 9.
We are in the West Midlands, so don't pay anymore than this in the NE

starshine Wed 29-Jan-20 15:24:11

Thank you for that! Yes that would be as much as I want to pay. The boiler does need to fit into a specific cupboard so I'll bear that in mind. I'm hoping radiator thermostats won't add too much to the quote but we shall see - it's definitely something we need!

Marydoll Wed 29-Jan-20 15:28:13

Our Worcester Bosch will cope with up to 21 radiators. Not that we need it, we don't live in a mansion. grin
This is the third boiler we have had in this house, and by far the most efficient and energy saving.

Tapdance6 Wed 29-Jan-20 15:34:12

We have had a Worcester Bosch for 10 years and never had any problems with it. It heats 9 radiators and have it checked every twelve months.

Charleygirl5 Wed 29-Jan-20 16:19:25

I have an elderly Potterton Suprima which has been really good. I asked for a quote when it was serviced recently and the fellow said £1400. He said it would be cheaper to replace like for like because of the cupboard it sits in. I never want this man to retire!

The first thing I did when I moved into this house in 1996 was to fit every radiator with thermostatic valves and they do pay for themselves.

annodomini Wed 29-Jan-20 16:24:52

My Bosch Worcester is at least 12 years old and I have thermostats on every radiator. The gas engineer who services the boiler says it's the gold standard.

HootyMcOwlface Wed 29-Jan-20 16:36:59

Ours is a Baxi, and although in my head it’s new it is actually 10 years old now and we’ve had no problems. (Hope I’m not jinxing myself now!)

I didn’t want a combi as if your boiler should break down at least you can put your immersion on and still have hot water!

Dottynan Wed 29-Jan-20 16:37:10

We had a Worcester Bosch boiler fitted by a chap we totally trust. He only fitted these and we have never a problem with it in 12 years