Gransnet forums

House and home

Oldest kitchen?

(86 Posts)
Witzend Thu 30-Jan-20 12:24:44

Was just looking at mine, admittedly a mite rough around one or two edges now, but still works fine for us - and wondering whether anyone has an older one. I dare say someone will!
It was installed in 1988 or 1989, can’t remember which.

Gas hob, various appliances and flooring have all been replaced, but apart from that...

I’ve looked into having it done, but TBH it’s not so much the cost as all the upheaval, faff and hassle. Old-fashioned-ness doesn’t bother us at all.
Maybe it’ll see us out!

Grannyboots1 Thu 30-Jan-20 12:37:29

Our 20 year old kitchen was gutted in the summer, my DH had to persuade me that we (I’m head cook) needed a new one.
There was three weeks of disruption and the upshot is I’m delighted with the result.

tanith Thu 30-Jan-20 12:50:55

Well I’ve lived in this house 20+ yrs the kitchen was pretty old fashioned then I’m guessing at least 10 yrs old then.
We’ve replaced the appliances, the work tops and tiles and painted the doors but the cupboards are all original. I can’t face the upheaval either. I’m not bothered by it as everything is in good order and may move in the next couple of years so not going to spend money replacing it now.

Whiff Thu 30-Jan-20 13:08:55

The kitchen in my old house was 30yrs old. Replaced the oven twice and hob once. Washing machine and fridge also twice. Flooring was same age as kitchen. Since moving I've finally got the kitchen I always wanted. The old one was what we could afford.

lucywinter Thu 30-Jan-20 13:17:28

Our kitchen was built in when we built the house in 1968. Stayed the same until three years ago when we had new doors fitted to the cupboards and new work surfaces. It is "old money" so far as the measurements are concerned so it would be difficult to replace. Would have to be made to measure. Not worth it really. I'm fine with it.

lucywinter Thu 30-Jan-20 13:17:58

Have had several new cookers and new sinks since then!

GrannyLaine Thu 30-Jan-20 13:18:04

We moved into our house in the mid eighties. The details from the estate agent read " prospective purchasers may wish to install a new kitchen" which is their speak for knackered rather tired. House was built in the 50s and the kitchen had its original joiner made units. Lino had a rectangular hole where someone had put a hot ash pan on it.
Then the mortgage rate hit eye watering levels ... etc etc.
We lived with that kitchen till 2010, when I finally got the kitchen I had always longed for. So ours was 54 years old when it was finally replaced!

lemongrove Thu 30-Jan-20 13:18:41

The oldest kitchen I have ever known belonged to my Grandma, installed in her cottage about 1920 and never updated ( apart from the cooker).

ninathenana Thu 30-Jan-20 13:46:47

We moved here in '85. The kitchen consisted of a sink unit, a floor standing boiler with brick surround and exposed flue, that was it. It also had a large larder that took up a lot of space. We knocked out the larder and fitted cheap units which at the time were the best units we could afford.
In 2008 we did a complete re-furb. including built in appliances and flooring.
Original kitchen was 23 yrs old.

BlueSapphire Thu 30-Jan-20 13:56:59

Moved into our newbuild in 1993; appliances have been replaced but everything else is the same. Oh, just had new taps!

SueDonim Thu 30-Jan-20 16:07:25

My mum still has her kitchen dating from 1986. It needs renewing but I don’t think she could cope with the upheaval, as she’s now 92.

My MIL moved into a new-build house in 1964 and had the same kitchen and bathroom when she died in 2013.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 16:10:59

The cupboards 1985 but everything else, worktops, tiles, floor, appliances etc have been updated.
The cupboards are in better condition than some of the newer things.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jan-20 16:17:29

We moved into this house 38 years ago and the kitchen units would have been about 20 years old then. They’re plain, sturdy and joiner built, all we’ve done is paint them a few times and changed the knobs and we’re regularly asked if it’s a new kitchen. smile

The white goods have all been updated several times, of course, but the sink and taps are original. In fact the taps appeared in a book DGS3 was reading about plumbing this week, right at the bottom of the illustrations of types of taps, and captioned “old-fashioned taps”. So old-fashioned, in fact, that hipsters covet them!

Grammaretto Thu 30-Jan-20 16:19:36

We converted an industrial building into a family home in 1980. We planned our own kitchen and still have it. It was and still is rather basic. I looked at getting new cupboards recently but balked at the price so a joiner has repaired some innards which were collapsing.
All the appliances have been replaced apart from the cooker and the tumble drier.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jan-20 16:21:22

Oh, and the floor is about the same age. We took up the Cushionfloor many years ago, sanded down and varnished the floorboards. They’d been replaced in the kitchen in the 1960s due to woodworm, but the front room and hall floorboards are the originals from 1850.

M0nica Thu 30-Jan-20 16:22:03

Not my kitchen but kitchen of the 'other grandma' was installed around 1966, when she and her late DH bought the house from the builder.

Witzend Thu 30-Jan-20 18:57:38

Some even older than mine, then!
In these days of increasing anti-waste, anti-consumerism, maybe we should feel rather pleased with ourselves.

jusnoneed Thu 30-Jan-20 18:59:53

My units have been in two kitchens, they moved with us from previous house. Firstly fitted in council house (which when we moved in had one cupboard and a bit of worktop. We bought some cheap cupboards to start with and then replaced them in about 1986. We moved to this house in 1990 and brought the whole lot with us to replace the one few bits here. It is still going strong, although various bits are looking a bit worn. Have freestanding fridge, freezer and cooker so all have been replaced as and when needed and the cupboards have been rearranged once. Bought originally from MFI.
My Nan's kitchen was one of the oldest I'd ever used. No sink, that was in separate scullery area, a large thick stone work area (with space under which was always cool. The old larder cupboards, with the pull down flap - she had three of those in various places. Larder with a stone shelf to keep stuff cool.

Bossyrossy Thu 30-Jan-20 19:10:50

Our oak kitchen is about thirty years old. It was top quality when we had it done and about five years ago we had a granite worktop and new sink and taps installed. My dilemma is, should we have it painted to bring it up to date? However the oak is very attractive with nice graining and I worry that if I had it painted, wood would soon be back in fashion.

Grammaretto Thu 30-Jan-20 19:33:01

justnoneed I think your nan must be my gt aunt.
Her house was like a museum. Built in 1912 and she moved in when she married and nothing had been changed.
The back parlour had an upright range, like the picture, - probably very modern at the time - and behind that the kitchen with state of the art gas cooker plus an original Belfast sink. It was always freezing. Admittedly I don't think she cooked much. She was thin like a stick insect but was almost 100 when she died. A healthy life.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 19:39:47

Oh goodness, Grammaretto that takes me back to when I was a little girl. My mum got so fed up of 'blackleading' the range that she had it taken out and bought a nice Canon gas stove.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 19:40:54

I was tempted to paint ours Bossyrossy, it's lighter than oak but I do like the grain of the wood.

Mind you, on Saturday, when I win loadsa money on the Premium bonds, I may order a new kitchen.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 19:42:00

Witzend I think we should pat ourselves on the back and tell ourselves we're saving the planet.

JuliaM Thu 30-Jan-20 20:06:22

We have just replaced our kitchen which was 23years old, but the best of the old units have been given a face lift and refitted into our utility room to provide extra storage space for all the cleaning utensils and wash powder, with the best bits of the old worktop used to make a couple of shelves and a surface for folding up laundry out of the tumble dryer.

The new kitchen took 5weeks to fit in total, when the old kitchen wall tiles were removed they left the plasterwork in a bit of a mess, and it took a week for our local builder to arrive and re-skim the surface, then a few days more for it to dry out before any cabinets could be fitted. The final finishing touch of having new blinds fitted to the kitchen window took place yesterday, so we can now say that it’s totally finished for good!

SueDonim Thu 30-Jan-20 20:23:38

I forgot to mention, last year my dh was invited to look round his grandparents old home. He was astonished to see that the current occupiers still had the same Aga that his GP’s had had, shortly after WW2!