Gransnet forums

House and home

Decluttering my wardrobes

(32 Posts)
NanKate Tue 11-Feb-20 05:26:11

I have 1 large and 2 small wardrobes which are stuffed full on clothes.

I am not a big spender but we are lucky enough to have a number of excellent charity shops in my small town and the next town, hence my large collection of clothes, some I only wear perhaps once a year if that.

I am very keen (or so I say) to get rid of some clothes so that I can at least move the clothes about instead of forcing them into a space not big enough.

Anyone got any ideas on getting motivated to start the cull ?

Calendargirl Tue 11-Feb-20 06:56:22

Start by removing stuff that;
a) you really never wear
b) that you really don’t like
c)that will never fit you properly again.
That should get rid of a bit.
Personally, I try not to take clothes to charity that are out of season, I’m sure they don’t want cluttering up with thick coats as summer approaches, or sundresses in late autumn.

mumofmadboys Tue 11-Feb-20 07:07:38

I find it hard to get rid of clothes. I am trying to get rid of one item each Monday this year.

Curlywhirly Tue 11-Feb-20 07:08:37

I intend to do exactly the same thing today too. I keep having a little go at it, but I really do need to be a bit more ruthless. I still have some 'office' clothes and I have been retired for 5 years!

mcem Tue 11-Feb-20 07:14:37

Apart from de-cluttering start using the very slim non-slip hangers which are inexpensive and readily available. If you also use the clever little gadgets that go over one hanger and allow you to slot another 3 hangers onto to it, you can fit 4 items into the space taken up by one. (Amazon I think).
Will post a pic asap.

mcem Tue 11-Feb-20 07:19:04

Like this

Baggs Tue 11-Feb-20 07:26:16

You can use ring pulls from cans for the same purpose.

Calendargirl Tue 11-Feb-20 07:26:46

Good idea mcem but might encourage you to just hang on to the stuff in less space!

Daisymae Tue 11-Feb-20 07:28:52

Get the whole lot out and only put back things that look good and you are going to wear. Makes life much easier.

Missfoodlove Tue 11-Feb-20 07:32:34

Most people wear 20% of their wardrobe 80% of the time.
If it hadn’t been worn in 12 months.....OUT!

Hetty58 Tue 11-Feb-20 07:38:26

I find that trying things on helps an awful lot.

Arrange mirrors so that you get a really good side and back view (or get somebody to take a photo on their phone).

Does it fit and suit you? No? Charity bag it is then. Don't worry too much about what the shop wants (in fashion, in season etc.) just get rid asap!

TrendyNannie6 Tue 11-Feb-20 07:49:00

I started yesterday, took everything out of wardrobe chucked on bed tried all on. Gave one bagful to charity shop in our village and put rest back, not a good day as most went back even though it was tight, I couldn’t part with them, note to myself try again next Monday! Why is it sooo hard to let goooo

TrendyNannie6 Tue 11-Feb-20 07:49:38

Some were tight

M0nica Tue 11-Feb-20 08:39:18

Get me in!!! The thought of having wardrobes of clothes makes me go cold all over. I can get every garment I possess into one 5 foot wardrobe and the rest does not fill a large chest of drawers.

I also find drifting round clothes shops boring. I only go clothes shopping when clothes are worn out or dated and then I look at everything in my wardrobe, plan what I need and go out and look for it.

Life is too short to waste time shopping for clothes (or fossicking through vast quantities trying to decide what to wear each day).

Eglantine21 Tue 11-Feb-20 08:48:09

Oh ,I love clearing out wardrobes! Friends actually invite me round to to do it with them. I love putting long lost clothes together to make a a great outfit.

I wish I could have done it for a living ??

NanKate Tue 11-Feb-20 09:41:11

Thanks All for the tips, photos and support. I am determined to get sorted. ?

Nortsat46 Tue 11-Feb-20 10:08:05

I list on eBay in sixes - shoes, trousers, tops, jackets etc. I start everything at £9.99 + p&p, even if it was expensive, if I haven’t worn it for ages. My things always sell.

When I successfully sell all six items I treat myself with the proceeds.

Alexa Tue 11-Feb-20 11:37:21

I agree with Hetty about trying-on. I had an expensive dress that I never wore. I bought it only because it was so flattering. For two decades I believed it was flattering until I tried it on for the last time and it was unwearable as I have aged.

gillybob Tue 11-Feb-20 11:49:05

Oh me too Eglantine we could’ve started a business together !

I did my sisters bedroom and sitting room a couple of weeks ago . 3 massive wardrobes , several sets of drawers, shelves and boxes all completely stuffed. So full she couldn’t even see what she had .

Liz46 Tue 11-Feb-20 12:08:56

Eglantine, my daughter once paid a lady to go through her wardrobe and sort it out. They then went to The Trafford Centre and topped up her wardrobe with matching items.

seacliff Tue 11-Feb-20 14:43:02

I have loads of clothes stored in several rooms, that don't fit me, and haven't for years. Madness! I am going to attack the problem. I may allow myself to keep up to 10 items I love but are too small. Donate the rest.

If by some miracle I ever do lose that weight, I can always treat myself to some new current fashion clothes.

Another problem I have, being such a procrastinator.. The items I clear out make it down to the kitchen in bags, but then don't always get to the charity shop for some weeks.

M0nica Tue 11-Feb-20 15:30:29

What always puzzles me is how, even at current relatively cheap prices, anyone can afford to buy all the clothes they seem to have.

I am not going to pretend to be poverty struck, nor do I buy expensive clothes, but the thought of spending money on a garment that I cannot see that I will start wearing on a regular basis as soon as I get home, just strikes me as so extravagent.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-Feb-20 16:14:10

I sorted out my “downstairs” shoes and boots today, two pairs of boots thrown out (not suitable for Charity Shop). Might tackle the shoes and boots in their nest little boxes in my wardrobe tomorrow blush

SparklyGrandma Tue 11-Feb-20 16:21:12

I agree about not liking clothes shopping MOnica

NanKate Tue 11-Feb-20 16:32:35

The Humana tank where I used to put clothes not good enough for the Charity shop, has been taken away by the Council and the ones for paper and bottles ? so we have to go to the Tip now in another town.

I think Barnardos had a tank too which has gone.