Gransnet forums

House and home

Nervous in a house rather than a flat?

(46 Posts)
Factfinder Wed 12-Feb-20 07:42:04

We've spent most of our married life in relatively secure flats surrounded by other people. We're contemplating a move to a detached house. I'm worried that after the expense of moving I might feel nervous in the house. When we did briefly live in an end-of-terrace house in London, we had three break-ins (one while we were in bed) and I decided I hated lying in bed wondering if every little sound was an intruder. Any thoughts...?

LullyDully Wed 12-Feb-20 08:18:45

My mum wouldn't move to a bungalow for that reason. I prefer a house to a flat because the neighbours drove me mad when we lived in one a few years ago. I suppose it depends what you are used to. Good luck with your decision, it will be fine.

Davidhs Wed 12-Feb-20 08:30:42

After living in a flat, why are you wanting a house now that you are older (presumably). If you are at all uncertain, rent for a few months so that you are not committed long term. Conversely a great many that have had a house and garden, move to a retirement apartment, no worries, no commitments.

craftyone Wed 12-Feb-20 08:38:49

Depends on your ages, health and the location. Many areas are very safe in a detached house, in other areas only a flat above ground floor level would be safe. Do your research about potential locations

Jane10 Wed 12-Feb-20 09:15:52

We're very glad we moved to a flat. We can just lock up and go away without worrying. There's a secure entry system and a resident caretaker. When we lived in a house we had a horrible break in. They really trashed the house and took irreplaceable items. It was horrible and we're so glad we moved to a flat.
Also, since our move, we've had various mobility issues and are glad to have a lift. Old age creeps up...

Septimia Wed 12-Feb-20 09:16:43

DS lived in a flat for a while. I always found it a bit claustrophobic not having direct access to the outside, but he liked the extra level of security.

We live in a detached house in a quiet area and I've never felt insecure. I think that the area is probably a crucial factor and the suggestions that you research carefully and perhaps rent for a while are worth considering.

ninathenana Wed 12-Feb-20 09:33:02

I agree a lot depends on area. DH always worked shift work including nights. We live in a semi on the very outskirts of a small town. I never felt nervous being here at night even with two small children.
As we age we have thought of moving to a bungalow. DH wouldn't like a flat as he couldn't have a workshop or a garden to potter in. I must admit security has never factored in our discussions.

vena11 Wed 12-Feb-20 09:49:11

I would love to move to a first floor flat and would feel more secure and not have to worry about a garden but DH likes his garden and always says not yet.

Whiff Wed 12-Feb-20 09:53:24

I've never lived a flat always houses. When I moved was adamant I wanted another house. My children said I would be better off in a bungalow. 3 years ago got very ill with jaundice already had problems with my limbs. But it brought it home to me that I could not live anywhere with stairs. Moved here in August. Love my bungalow . Live in a quiet road of only bungalows . My neighbours are all lovely . I'm not old only 61 . Widowed for 16 yesrs and lived on my own for well over 10 years. Never once felt frightened living on my own either in my old house or here. Because I've had problems with my limbs since I was 29 with my husband we always planned 10 15 years in future what would be needed for me to function and lead a normal life. Still do that since I've been widowed. You need to write a list of what you need now and in the future. Pros and cons of various types of housing and rearch different areas. Hope that helps.

Lancslass1 Wed 12-Feb-20 10:09:03

Re the first reply.
We live in a bungalow.
I know some people won’t ,because of fear of burglars but my thoughts are that a burglar is less likely to break into a bungalow because he/she would not know which room was occupied and by whom.
I know I would feel worse if I heard a sound downstairs when I was trying to sleep upstairs.
On the downside apparently I am going to get “bungalow knees” because I don’t need to climb stairs but I will settle for that.
At least I won’t need a stair lift.
Therefore my advice for what it is worth is to go for a semi detached bungalow with a gate or integral garage stopping anyone from going down the side of the house

Jane10 Wed 12-Feb-20 10:13:40

Our house was in a good area. It was the only one broken into and was during the day. The police said that we must have been watched as the burglars must have known our movements and when nieghbours less likely to be looking. You just never know these days.
More to think about than just house vs flat. Proximity to shops, Dr's, family etc as one gets older.

janeainsworth Wed 12-Feb-20 10:41:34

We lived in flats in Hongkong for several ytears.
The saving grace was that the flats had balconies where I could have plants and sit out in the (relatively) fresh air.

I think I would feel very hemmed in, in a flat without a balcony.

sandelf Wed 12-Feb-20 10:47:01

Facts that's the thing! We used this before we moved. Very useful. Its the Police Crime Map. You put in a location and as you click in nearer more detail appears showing types and number of crimes down to quite a small area. Firstly, check your present address so you know the situation as you are used to it. We moved happily to an address people had told us was virtually crime free/a den of iniquity (same address, different people). www.police.uk/

NotSpaghetti Wed 12-Feb-20 11:05:33

My husband and I would only move into a detached home in future after a problem with a neighbour. I'd rather live in a detached shoe box than go through that again. And yes. I have been burgled - twice actually and once whilst asleep. Nothing is worse than being close to "neighbours from hell". The fear and sleeplessness was so, so awful.

M0nica Wed 12-Feb-20 11:25:34

The answer to the security problem is to have an alarm system installed. We have a whole house alarm and at night we can prgramme it so that the downstairs is full protected but we are free to move round upstaits. professionally installed alarms are eminently programmableto meet your requirements.

schnackie Wed 12-Feb-20 11:41:59

Wow, thanks sandelf for that link to the police crime reports. I am in an area of moderately (?) high crime, but live in a second floor flat, secure building, and don't really go out after dark. I have never felt unsafe. Seeing where actual crimes have been reported in my neighbourhood has made me feel even better.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 12-Feb-20 11:53:16

Depends where you live.

I moved counties and bought a detached bungalow. Previously semi house.

Loved my bungalow and the neighbours were brilliant. I had a very noisy teenager (music) next door with the semi.

I checked with the police website on what the crime rate was like and what type of crimes were being committed.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 12-Feb-20 12:06:54

If you do decide to move to a house, have a really good burglar alarm fitted and locks on all your windows. You will feel safer and it may well lower your insurance premium as well.

Get to know your neighbours (not always easy these days, I know) so you can keep an eye on each others' properties.

Remember to install smoke alarms as well and have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and upstairs as well.

If you like them, a dog would make you feel safer too.

sandelf Wed 12-Feb-20 12:29:04

schnackie thanks for the thanks. We did move to the rumoured as rough area. (Map says low crime and of a trivial nature - we got more house for our money and made lots of really good friends). Hope you find a place that suits you.

4allweknow Wed 12-Feb-20 12:32:01

Check out the area for crime statistics. Get a good alarm system, possibly a door bell with viewer connected to mobile phone. Movement sensitive lights at side and back of house. You should be fine.

Tillybelle Wed 12-Feb-20 12:48:03

@Factfinder
I think there are many "it depends" situations to be looked here.

For example, my house is detached. But detached by about 3feet from my neighbours! I have a street light outside, and I have good neighbours except for one, and feel that the Police could probably come if I had trouble. So I do not feel particularly nervous and have only had a couple of times when the dogs barked in such a way as to make me put on all the lights and look out of the window to see if someone was in the garden. I am on my own. I do know how it feels to be scared at night. After we moved after the death of my husband, my 3 children were still with me, I used to wake up in the new house in a sweat of real over the noises in the roof! I was sick with fear that it was falling down! I see now that I was suffering from anxiety. The noise was the wind.

My late mother's house (where I was born in fact) was in a village with no street lights and her neighbours could not see her house. The Police gave a talk and said there was one of them on duty at night policing a radius of some 20 miles of countryside known for its narrow winding lanes. In other words, if you need the Police at night in a hurry, bad luck.

I would be unhappy in a flat without a garden as I was born in the country and yearn to be outdoors with my dogs.

We are all different.

When I moved house I made a list on a grid and gave a points system for each house I saw on the aspects which I particularly wanted my home to have starting with 'essential' (mine began, garden, off road parking, walking distance to school, not isolated, not overlooked, etc) down to 'would be nice' and scoring each place I saw 1-3, 3 being perfect, 1 being I would prefer not. If it was hopeless I put an x and took that house out of the reckoning!

Somehow, using my system I worked out which house of those available would be best for my daughter and me. I can only suggest you look at places and see what you feel and think about them. Sometimes you know immediately that you could not live somewhere and conversely sometimes you feel so at home in another place.

I do hope you find the right place for you both. It is important as we enter our older years, to remember that having a home near the things we need is more important to us than when we were young. The Doctor's surgery, a decent shop, maybe the bank, Church, a bus service... One day one of us will pass on and the remaining partner will be more reliant on the community. A place where there is a community spirit is always lovely.

Wishing you every bit of good luck in your venture. Looking for a new home should be enjoyable. Don't make it a burden! You do not have to rush it, fortunately. You can wait until the right place is available.

Tillybelle Wed 12-Feb-20 12:51:34

sorry! should say 'sweat of fear'

timetogo2016 Wed 12-Feb-20 12:54:53

Peace of mind is priceless stay put.
Also a friend of mine had a very expensive alarm and she was burgled so it doesn`t always deter those thieving gits.

Nannarose Wed 12-Feb-20 13:37:15

I think that whatever you decide initially, Davidhs' advice to rent at first is very sound

Tillybelle Wed 12-Feb-20 13:58:26

NotSpaghetti. You have my deepest sympathy. Unfortunately although my house is detached. it isn't detached enough and one of the neighbours on one side revealed herself to be a neighbour from hell just over 2 years ago and has consistently frightened me since. I believe she probably has a personality disorder of the kind that likes to hurt people and the Senior Policeman did say her act were a hate-crime and I am old, widowed and disabled.